First Mile High Flute Run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

First Mile High Flute Run

Post by oksofar »

IMG_9986.jpg
After encouraging results using an air still for a month, I went all-in on a Mile High four section, 4" stainless flute still and hose kit.  I elected to have the down-comer plate option, and added the pressure relief safety valve.  I am a total newb, have no "mentor", and have learned everything online (mostly, this forum!) and from a couple of books.  I just ran my first sugar wash today (after vinegar cleaning), and produced an amazingly clean spirit.  I added quick detach hose fittings and ball valves to control cooling. The water came from a 10 gallon cooler that I refreshed with cold water every 15 minutes. Lesson learned: brush silver "anti-seize" on the T-clamp threads to achieve a smoother tightening. Thanks to all who contribute to the information sharing on this forum!
Last edited by oksofar on Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brewer's Beast 16 gallon mash tun
Spike CF15 Conical Unitank 
Mile Hi 16 Gallon Stainless 4 Inch Flute – 4 Sections
30xs
Swill Maker

Re: First Mile High Flute Run

Post by 30xs »

If it’s your very first after the vinegar cleaning hopefully it was a “clean” smelling sacrificial run. The first alcohol run is also a cleaning run and shouldn’t be drank. Congrats on the successful start with your new rig.

Tim
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

30xs wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:52 pm If it’s your very first after the vinegar cleaning ... shouldn’t be drank.
Disagree, Tim, based on clear instructions provided by Mile High. The first 500ml of the sugar wash run was slightly yellow, and I discarded as heads (along with the second and third jar). The hearts came out clear and clean smelling and tasting.

Thanks!
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

oksofar wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:00 pm
30xs wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:52 pm If it’s your very first after the vinegar cleaning ... shouldn’t be drank.
Disagree, Tim, based on clear instructions provided by Mile High. The first 500ml of the sugar wash run was slightly yellow, and I discarded as heads (along with the second and third jar). The hearts came out clear and clean smelling and tasting.

Thanks!
Disagree if you choose, but read through the forum on the reasons for sacrificial runs. It’s to remove all the crap from the manufacturing process. I’ve built a few myself and have never had a first jar come out yellow, so I’d question just how dirty that means it really was. Every first run of mine becomes lighter fluid (not worth the risks). Out of sheer safety I say dump it, I’m sure others will be by soon that agree.
BamaHawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BamaHawk »

Nice rig and congrats on the first run! Where did you get the quick connect water fittings if you don't mind me asking? I could see those being very handy.
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

Kennedjt wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:48 pm Nice rig and congrats on the first run! Where did you get the quick connect water fittings if you don't mind me asking? I could see those being very handy.
Kennedjt, I found them on Amazon. Got the disconnects, and some hose barbs, as well:
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

30xs wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:34 pm
oksofar wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:00 pm

Thanks!
Disagree if you choose, but read through the forum on the reasons for sacrificial runs. It’s to remove all the crap from the manufacturing process. I’ve built a few myself and have never had a first jar come out yellow, so I’d question just how dirty that means it really was. Every first run of mine becomes lighter fluid (not worth the risks). Out of sheer safety I say dump it, I’m sure others will be by soon that agree.
Thanks Tim, I'll read more on this, and consider if I should dump it. I had cleaned and santitized every part prior to the vinegar run, then washed every part again before the sugar run.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

I have a copper pot still and my sac run after my vinegar run always comes out blue for a jar, would I drink anything after a blue jar, hell no, to each their own but I wouldn’t drink anything from a sac run
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Dont care much what Mile High tell you, It is and has been for many years a safety policy on this forum ( and most others that I know of) that you run both a vinegar cleaning run and then a sacrificial spirit run before you make your first keeper run for drinking.
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

I tossed out the sacrificial run. Thanks, all!
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Very interested in your progress through this setup. I’m also in the market for a 4” 4 perf plate flute. I was thinking copper sight glass sections (if anything else they sure do look purdy) instead of ss. Just waiting on the ok from “the boss”. I understand that promotions are a big no no here. That being said... IMHO Mike and the boys do pretty good work up there. I see you use the spike cf15. How do you like it? I’ll be posting a “my first” with that as well.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

Stonecutter,
I've made a number of batches since that first post - and have had excellent results. Vodka from sugar wash is as good as any store bought, per wifey. Whiskey is the most fun - quick aging with charred oak sticks, and it tastes great. For that, I configure as a pure pot still with no sections, except one straight tube for copper packing. I think the glass sections will be fragile, so opted for the traditional. They are beefy - never be damaged. Overall, I'm having fun with my new hobby. Good luck!
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

Yep, looks familiar. I quickly modified their hose kit. It was good to get me started but I realized modifications were needed.

One suggestion is to use a needle valve on your dephlegmator. It will give you a little more control over your flow.

I have bought a 12" tall copper section to add in. A little more copper in the vapor path.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Agree with the above....any flute is going to be a bitch to run without a needle valve.....you need very precise adjustment to the defleglamator water flow.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:18 pm Agree with the above....any flute is going to be a bitch to run without a needle valve.....you need very precise adjustment to the defleglamator water flow.

There's a few things here that smack of "you don't know what you don't know."

Starting with MH ripping off the "Flute" moniker. I don't recall (publicly or privately) old dog ever giving that outfit permission to use that brand name.
They sell plated columns. Not "flutes". Old dog was happy to have any hobbyist builder use that that name as it was more of a tribute to old dog. But for a vendor to blatantly rip it off (or ignorantly not know any better) is another matter all together.
Secondly, have you ever seen that guy's (what's his name) video tutorials? Oh dear talk about being bad for the hobby.

Yep,,,ditch the ball valves if you ever plan on getting that rig to behave optimally.

I'll be quiet now before I get myself in hot water.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I'm not a fan either Larry .....I once saw some of their early builds here in an Au distillery........back then I was shocked at the quality....it wasn't good.
I can only assume that things got better as time went by as Ive not seen another example first hand since in this country.
As far as Im aware Old dog only ever gave official permission to one or two builders to use the name "flute".
I dont think that a lot of newbs realize that the whole "flute" plated column thing started right here on this forum.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:06 pm I'm not a fan either Larry .....I once saw some of their early builds here in an Au distillery........back then I was shocked at the quality....it wasn't good.
I can only assume that things got better as time went by as Ive not seen another example first hand since in this country.
As far as Im aware Old dog only ever gave official permission to one or two builders to use the name "flute".
I dont think that a lot of newbs realize that the whole "flute" plated column thing started right here on this forum.
Just me being an internet likker geek aye hole is all.

But when the MH dude says (essentially) no need to clean, and ball valves are fine,, then it gets under my craw because,,,well its seems evidently clear there are some gaps that a responsible vendor needs to close if they know what's what.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

oksofar wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 am I tossed out the sacrificial run. Thanks, all!
Thanks oksofar it is consistent with the safety rules we want all to follow. Enjoy the next one you will realize it was such a small sacrifice.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

acfixer69 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:35 pm
oksofar wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 am I tossed out the sacrificial run. Thanks, all!
Thanks oksofar it is consistent with the safety rules we want all to follow. Enjoy the next one you will realize it was such a small sacrifice.
100%
Good on ya and I do apologize for the side track.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Nice to hear you’re having a good time with your rig OK! Did you opt for two heating elements or one? I’ll be pacing back and forth till’ August when mine is scheduled to arrive. It’s interesting to hear the history of the “Flute” name. It’s a damn shame it’s been lost in obscurity. Thank you for the info LWTCS and Salty. I do remember seeing a thread in the flute talk section referring to “magic flutes”. I can only assume that was the member who coined the term. Either way I’m happy with the quality and craftsmanship out of MH. I do agree the YouTube videos are a bit “ghetto”.... if that’s the term.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yes, Magic Flute is what old dog called it as that's what the one peice column with (trap adapter) sight glasses reminded him of.
Magic Flute was evidently long winded (or corny) so just "Flute" became the name and subsequent defacto name for plated columns in certain circles.

There is only one, two or a very few Flutes, and old dog built them.
Everything else is a plated column.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

I have three stills from Mile-Hi, (an 8 gal, 13 gal, and 26 gal. boilers, a 3" Lyne Arm Pot Still set-up and a 4" plated column set-up that I can run with up to seven plated sections.) All my components are interchangeable and so I have the freedom to set it up however I want to configure it, and I've never thought that they were in any way inferior in quality or construction to anything else out there.

I do agree that you won't be able to adequately control your dephlegmator without a good needle valve. I set my column up with a splitter in the coolant supply hose to have independent control of cooling water for both the dephlegmator and the condenser.

On my plated column, I'm not a fan of running one cooling line through the other in series as it makes it all but impossible to control either effectively. And trying to control your dephlegmator with a ball valve is ludicrous as well. I also find using the stainless steel quick release fittings handy for attaching and breaking down my coolant lines.
4 Plate Flute 2 (Medium) - Copy (Small) (Custom).jpg
Dephlegmator.jpg
[/attachment]
Flute_Still 002.JPG
Still 006 (Custom).JPG
Attachments
Flute_Still 004 (Medium).JPG
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

Euphoria wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:22 am I've never thought that they were in any way inferior in quality or construction to anything else out there.
I don't understand the knock on them. I've been very happy with their quality. Maybe I came to the hobby too recent to know what brings out the disgruntled?
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

Euphoria wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:22 am I have three stills from Mile-Hi,
I have a copper pot still with a keg thump, pretty basic setup but hey it works for me, your first picture looks like something out of a distillery, looks like I would be absolutely lost trying to run that thing lol very nice still though wow that’s nice, I hope to get to something like that one day.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I've got a 16g MH copper boiler that I love but it sounds like they're using the flute name as a marketing tactic when in fact the flute name was coined here - slightly used car sales feel. I don't agree with their stilling protocols either but parts is parts and what you do with them is up to you? I wouldn't recommend their reflux solutions when there's other easier and cheaper options and their liebigs are undersized IMO - I made my own and that was very easy... They also only supply silicone gaskets so end users should order teflon elsewhere (or wrap the 8" milk can silicone gasket in teflon tape) but if you don't mind spending a little and willing to dedicate ongoing time to learning certain kit is definitely useable...

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I never did see their stills because I couldn’t get past the female models they had standing next to the columns.
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

oksofar wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:47 pm I went all-in on a Mile High four section, 4" stainless flute still and hose kit.
Can I ask how tall this was and also how tall would it be if it was a 6 section please?