Banana

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

ratdog01
Novice

Banana

Post by ratdog01 »

Hi gents and ladies

just done a banana mash thing , been saving all the bananas that have gone to far to eat and freezing them until had 5 kg it's took an age but finally had what i needed
Recipe
5 kg Banana
5 kg Sugar (3kg demi 2 kg white)
5g Amylase
2.5 lt molasses old wash (from rum wash)
1 pack rum yeast
blended bananas with water
heated up to 65c and held for 30 mins stirring offten dropped in amylase and removed from heat added 2.5ltr old wash
dissolved sugar in warm water all put in the fermenter and left to rest stirring every 15 mins ish until drpped down to 28c took sg 1.10 added yeast
smells great and tastes good as well .

sort of banana flavor sugar wash i think but have high hopes for flavour , want to put in little oak barrel and leave till christmas .

I have been clearing my garage/workshop and found a job load of white wine with poor heritage so thinking of putting it in my still and see what we get, has anyone done this ?
I guess its going to be a brandy of sorts , or nasty mouth wash .

Thanks for reading say what you think and tell me if i have got it wrong or just take the mick
I am just happy to have a friend even for a few seconds

Stay safe have fun and be happy

Thanks
RD01
:crazy: :crazy: :clap: :clap:
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Banana

Post by 8Ball »

Sounds interesting. I’ve wondered about a banana rum too. Let us know how it turns out.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
ratdog01
Novice

Post by ratdog01 »

will do 8Ball

thanks
RD01
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Ratdog, I made nice brandy out of wine (mainly red) that was no longer drinkable.
Old, and leftovers, anything really.
Some beer family had made that didn't turn out (but not too high a percentage of that,
people say the hops can be a problem).
Anyway I ended up with a LOT of nice brandy, from my pot still.

Geoff
The Baker
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Good luck with your banana run, I think you will be happy with it.

I did a banana spirit years ago and it came through with a very strong banana character.
I didn't use sugar and I did a single pot still run.

I keep forgetting to try mixing some of it with one of my rums, thanks for the reminder guys.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
ratdog01
Novice

Post by ratdog01 »

thanks for the input

the banana is going like a steam train , the smell is great

will do the wine next week see what we get

thanks
RD01
ratdog01
Novice

Post by ratdog01 »

hi all
sorry for delay but life sometimes gets in the way of things , so here goes with what i got .
took an age to finish about month , but boy did it smell nice Sg 1.10 ish FG 1.01
pot stilled off ended up with about 3 lts of nice 60% spirit after cuts and mixing (only went down to 40% then stopped)
proofed down to 40% AVB
and carbon filtered , did a burn test real clean blue flame no yellow until the last drop on the spoon
Taste
get a real nice caramel with hints of vanilla and a lovely banana after taste left in your mouth
very smooth and warming on the way down
i am pretty happy with it as first time doing banana , did think would have more banana flavor but think thats my extra voice in my head saying it should taste like banana liquer try not to listen to him ,he's got me in trouble before.

thanks for reading and stay safe

RD01
Thebigbrewbowski
Novice

Post by Thebigbrewbowski »

cool, I was thinking of banana rum last night. Thanks for the recipe and results.

Why carbon filter? Do you think 2 pot still runs would do the same to clean up some flavour?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The carbon filter probably removed some of the flavour
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

ratdog01 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:26 pm did a burn test real clean blue flame no yellow until the last drop on the spoon
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 6#p7571655
ratdog01
Novice

Post by ratdog01 »

hi all

NZchris
think it did remove some flavor but re stilling would have done the same i think, i run a T500 without a power controler and get very clean spirit
only done a redistill a couple of times that was to make a real pure neutral and a molasse rum

Saltbush
Nice link thanks , bit more brain food only do burn test thing as personal test to see if any junk in the mix
after looking at the link maybe my brain mix up the information so going dig into to this some more and sort my head out

thank you all for reading feel free to to give your ideas everyday is a school day

thanks and stay safe
RD01
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It isn't the re-distilling or the T500/or your Whatever Still that removes flavor, it's the fella choosing the cuts. That's you and me.

My distilling notes from my previous runs are my Distilling Bible, but I'm always scouring the net and online libraries for ideas to try so that I can up my game.
ratdog01
Novice

Post by ratdog01 »

yer NZ i do much the same, but you get a lot of mixed information some it does remove falvor others is does not , even got one that said reflux or pot made little differance which i know to be untrue after doing my own tests .the flavor needs to be there at the start to do your cuts justice , i think most is down to trial and error see what works for you and your own taste .
been keeping notes of my own , tend to look here to see whats been said before found it to be a good finishing point before i make my mind up and thats worked well so far .
i only do 25 lt mashes so can have a few going at the same time then have couple of days stilling it off, let it all stand open for 24 hours then drop to 40% bottle and store .
one thing i have found is recipes tend to be for large batches so have to scale down to suit my set up (got it wrong a few times but still turned out not bad) i am realy starting to play with flavors now adjusting my amounts to pull the flavor over into the finished product .
done a chicken food vodka (mixed corn ) then refluxed it still a slight grain taste , the lads that drink vodka says it tastes great .
also used chicken food and malted barley , got a nice whiskey type drink with good flavors out of the pot still .

some real clever people on here that have been do this for years its great to draw on all that information they have glimed over the years saves us all time and even stops us wasting money on daft mistakes .

Thank you
RD01