First Partial Grain Mash...Is there a more appropriate name?

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Post Reply
User avatar
BamaHawk
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:52 pm
Location: Midwest

First Partial Grain Mash...Is there a more appropriate name?

Post by BamaHawk » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:56 am

Okay, I have seen sugar washes, sugar heads, and all grain but maybe I have missed it in my extensive reading (or maybe I have just forgotten since my tiny brain has limited retention capacity) but I have not found what a mash is called if a mash has grains that have saccarification conversion as well as added sugar? At any rate, this is what I have produced with my second real run.

Ingredients:
Flaked Maize = 14 lbs
Flaked Oats = 2 lbs
Flaked Rye = 2 lbs
Barley (2-row) = 4 lbs
Corn Sugar = 12 lbs
Water = 13 gallons
Alpha amylase
Fermaid K Nutrient
PH 5.2 Stabilizer
Red Star DADY Yeast
Citric acid

I made this in two batches due to the size but the process followed was identical for each. Heated water to 165F added grains (except barley) and let temp drop to 155F and added barley and amylase (I added Alpha Amylase during the process too since I felt my barley addition might have been too low for full conversion of the grains). Steeped grain between 150F -155F for 90 minutes (stirring frequently). Let cool and transferred to my fermenter where the corn sugar and nutrient was added and the PH adjusted to a 5.4 starting point and yeast was rehydrated and added at 80F. I did not test conversion with iodine because I didn't have any at that time (I do now).

SG = 1.080 and 1.058 (difference was the corn sugar as I ran out on batch #2 so added a little less compared to batch #1)
FG = .996 and .993

Ran on my 16 gallon 4 plate flute with the following results:

[img]C:\Users\kenne\OneDrive\Pictures\Stilling[/img]

I stopped on jar 17 due to the rapid decrease in ABV and the fact that jar 17 smelled like wet cardboard.

I then let the jars rest and blended 2 days later. I think I may have went too far into the heads with my blend because now the finished product has a "sweet" smell/taste. I cut to 120p and put several jars on charred oak and cut two bottles of "white dawg" to 100p for sippin'.

I welcome any feedback or thoughts on the process.
Attachments
image.png

Post Reply