My first runs with modular CCVM

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

stmaus
Novice

My first runs with modular CCVM

Post by stmaus »

I have posted very little since becoming interesting in distilling 12 months ago as an iso-project, having been home brewing for 20 years. I did my reading, and decided on a modular 2" CCVM still (very standard design, most parts purchased from Distillex/Aliexpress, with some bits and pieces purchased in Oz), with a converted 50L keg (weldless 2200W element) for most runs, and a Mangrove Jacks (T500) boiler with concealed element for smaller gin runs. I particularly found posts by DAD300 and kimbodius to be very helpful. Also, Saltbush Bill's and NZChris's posts are helpful and ... entertaining! And Odin's Easy Gin and TFFV are both great and hard to get wrong.

So I don't really have anything to report, other than that by doing my reading and following advice on this excellent site, I now have several runs (vodka, gin, whisky) under my belt without incident. I've never felt the need to post lots of questions, because the answers are already here. I am achieving some very nice 95% (temp corrected) neutral/vodka with my CCVM, and of course some very tasty gin using OEG and then playing with the botanicals and proportions in subsequent runs. The whisky perhaps needs a bit more time.

The moral of the story is do your reading (starting with the spoon-feeding thread), then just go for a modular CCVM on a converted keg. As we say in Oz, it's a piece of piss.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: My first runs with modular CCVM

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Good to see your enjoying the hobby and having some successes :thumbup:
Once you can make good clean neutral you are well on the way to making good Gin. Starting with a good base you then only need to find the correct botsnical recipe to suit your tastes.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

stmaus wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:44 pm And Odin's Easy Gin and TFFV are both great and hard to get wrong.
I also made my first step these last months, although I've been studying the subject for so many years, e.g. a book I bought in 1979 Technologie der Obstbrennerei" Technology of fruit distillation... I wish I had done some OEG instead of a more complicated recipe, but anyway, with a pinch of lime I can enjoy a very palatable gin and tonic based on a neutral following TFFV, I made three washes 39litres each so far and some pastis macerates right now. Beside this I got two rum stripping runs till now (output 12.5 and 14 litres), if it's not too hot, there's a third one on the agenda. Well I'm happy to see that I'm not the only novice amongst this bunch of experts I wish to thank for their support like Yummirum , Martincash and Ted, my apologies if I forget some other valuable fellows here...
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
"In moonshine there is Rebeldom"
Garouda
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Strauss, great to hear.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
stmaus
Novice

Post by stmaus »

Something I forgot to mention was that I initially had a thermometer in the top of my still (in a thermowell in the 90 degree elbow). Monitored it and noted down temps in great detail for the first couple of runs, for the extra data as it might help me learn (I did know not to try to control temp). Completely pointless distraction. Plugged up the well and haven't looked at temp since (other than to temp correct ABV in my tube).

One item of equipment I did not mention was the power controller. Very important, except for stripping runs.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I had a thermometer in the offtake, but like you found it an unnecessary distraction and did away with it.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time