My first sac run.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tom Kat
Swill Maker

My first sac run.

Post by Tom Kat »

That was a good learning experience. I ran my still for 2.5 hours and got to test it out. I am glad I listened to SS and got a bigger pond pump.

I collected all of it so I could measure the alcohol content and smell the different cuts. I learned I probably need a bigger water tank (17 gallons).

So now it's time to start a new wash and play for keeps.
20210321_163600.jpg
20210321_153422.jpg
There's no place like home
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first sac run.

Post by Deplorable »

Before you make your keeper run, ditch all of the plastic jugs and funnel.
You could use a sheep tank instead of that plastic tub for your cooling water. You'll have more water, a larger surface area for heat to dissapate, and you can put your pump at one end and the return line at the other.
Before you know it, you'll have that corner of the barn walled in, a proper floor, and room to ferment!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

I was thinking about a 55 gallon trash can I have for next time?
I have a bunch of jars but I didnt carry them out to the barn as I knew this was all going bye bye. And yes I need to arrange things, I have been multi tasking on the ranch. Its a busy time of year for me. You cant see it in the picture but I have a yard hydrant nearby.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Dont dump all that saccrificial alcohol out. save it for future cleaning runs. Eventually, you'll find yourself building more still parts, and you'll have to clean them. No sense in making a new wash just for that.

I think 50 gallons is about the minimum amount of water you're going to need with that Liebig. Running at a good speed, you'll be putting a fair bit of water through it to keep the distillate cool. If your water jacket on the liebig was nearly as long as the vapor tube, you's use less water to cool the vapor due to the longer dwell time and contact with the water.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

A good start.

And, it’s a great way to stay out of the wind...aye Tom? And, the temperature is falling too with this next cold front blowing through.

Although the tailpipe out of your Liebig is long, I do think that the condenser section would benefit with a longer cooling length. When you get to a hard stripping run, it will be easy to outrun that condenser. With the large (3/4” ID), you may notice some “puffing” of vapors out of the end. “Future improvement modification” though.

But, get at least one keeper behind you so you’ll have something to “motivate” you to move forward. :D
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

I can see the good of a longer condenser. That will be next I imagine.
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:41 pm A good start.

And, it’s a great way to stay out of the wind...aye Tom? And, the temperature is falling too with this next cold front blowing through.

Although the tailpipe out of your Liebig is long, I do think that the condenser section would benefit with a longer cooling length. When you get to a hard stripping run, it will be easy to outrun that condenser. With the large (3/4” ID), you may notice some “puffing” of vapors out of the end. “Future improvement modification” though.

But, get at least one keeper behind you so you’ll have something to “motivate” you to move forward. :D
ss
Well then! Time to upgrade....
20210325_094923.jpg
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

Perhaps 36" would be a better length? with copper wire soldered in a spiral fashion on inner pipe?
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

I may need a brace to hold it up!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I wouldn't go any shorter than 40 inches on the water jacket with a 5500W element. Better to overbuild it.
A 14g wire soldered to the outside of the vapor tube in the jacket will help. Put your input and output as close to the ends as you can. Is that 3/4 over 1/2 inch?
A kickstand would be a good idea to support the length of the liebig.
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

I have some 10 ga wire handy...yes its 3/4 over 1/2. should I use the whole 5 feet? and suggestions on a kick stand? step ladder maybe?
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

You are off to a great start with your equipment that you have why not insulate your boiler for shits and grins
You can just use a 2×4 with a v notch as a kickstand
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

10g will be too thick to fit between the jacket and the vapor tube I think. Pretty sure I used the ground wire out of some 14/3 romex. It was a perfect fit.
I built mine 48" OAL with a 40" water jacket, and it was plenty long enough.
Maybe use the extra length of left over pipe to build a telescoping kickstand with a set screw to support the low end?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I agree with Durhommer, wrap that keg with some reflectix or an old horse blanket to cut your heat up time.
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

I have a roll of duraflez and tape and will be adding it as soon as my condenser is done. AND SS, I will be sure to cover the top of the keg!!! thanks for all the help fellas...I do read and listen!!!