Still (likely to be forever a work-in-progress)

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Still (likely to be forever a work-in-progress)

Post by NormandieStill »

So I've already posted photos of my liebig and talked over initially teething problems with the setup in various other posts, but I can finally present my still to the collective!

When I started out, I didn't want to put up lots of cash without being sure that I would follow through so I kept stuff to a minimum. I had a 30l beer keg with the spear removed, that I filled through the factory 2" port before clamping down the bends to the condenser. When I finished a run, I would gingerly remove the clamp from the top of the keg, stick a blanking plate on and in the morning (once cooled) I'd empty it by tipping it up into the sink. The still was powered by our largest gas ring on the hob.

For various reasons this was not a great situation. We have really good ventilation in the kitchen so that wasn't a concern, but the keg sat too high over the burner and a lot of the heat was lost up the sides of the keg. Also we have renewable-sourced electricty and burning vast amounts of butane in order to mostly heat the kitchen didn't seem like the best of solutions. I wanted an electric element, and a large filling port on the top (it will possibly serve double use as a beer kettle and being able to access the wort directly and clean up properly afterwards seem important). I would also like a drain, but that could wait a while if necessary.

I had ordered the ferrules for adding an element (2") and a filling port (4") and when they arrived, I took my keg and ferrules to the local forge to see about welding them on. A week later I got a quote for 240EUR! Time to break out the gas torch and learn to silver solder stainless steel. I have brazed steel before (mild and chromoly) but never touched stainless so I had a little play and then started drilling holes and filing furiously in order to get a reasonable match. I decided to add a side drain port at the same time. All three ferrules required a touch up after the first soak test left them weeping. They aren't the prettiest soldered joints in the world, but I'm getting a much better feel for the temperature now.

The element is a 4500W 3-part element which I've wired as 3 elements. Each element can be individually switched on / off and one of the three has an SCR dimmer to give fine control. At the minute it's wired to a 16A socket so I can't exceed 3600W, but later I'll have a 32A socket to power it with and will be able to use all 4.5kW (just for heating up, there's no way my condenser can handle that sort of power.

I was all set for a test then covid hit and left me mostly sleeping for a week. So tonight, feeling alive enough to go for it I assembled it all, filled it with vinegar and water, fired up the elements and then wandered around the house looking for the one remaining tri-clamp I needed to attach the condenser. A final count showed that I'd forgotten to order an extra clamp when I decided to add the drain. Since the liebig hasn't had any modifications to the vapour path, I decided to run the vinegar run with just the boiler and I'll do my sac run in a week when the extra clamp turns up.

Enough blabbering, here she is:
Still.jpg
The 10cm spool tube acts as a riser to get me a little access height over the filling port. It also holds a little roll of copper mesh to try and get some copper into the vapour path. In the shed I have a 1m length of thick walled 54mm copper tube which will form a packed column at some point in the future. The idea being to pop in the column, remove the blanking plate at the top of the tee and drop a condenser in to turn it into a CCVM for those moments when I want to make a neutral somewhat efficiently. As and when that happens I'll put it in here.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Re: Still (likely to be forever a work-in-progress)

Post by tiramisu »

That's a fine start :)
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

And the rest...

The missing tri-clamp arrived today, so this evening I loaded up the remains of my one and only turbo wash and fired her up.

Heat-up time is notably faster. Using only 2 of the elements (3kW) she got about 17litres of wash to temp in about 30mins with no insulation on anything. And my mods to the liebig to ease my control issues (tap on the output and hoselock connections everywhere) worked a treat for balancing the coolant flow. I can knock down 3kW without opening the tap full, although the distillate is coming out at around 40C. Not sure I'd want to push it much further, but since it's running off a 16A socket that's not really an issue right now.

It's a little noisier than on the stove top but given the power input that's not surprising. Based on what I've seen this evening, I think I was maxing out at a little over 1kW before.

The copper mesh in the spool tube and/or the electric elements seem to have dealt with the puffing issues I was having. Even with the coolant running cold from the outlet I couldn't get it to huff. I think that the gas was heating in too concentrated an area and causing very large bubbles to form rather than many small ones leading to uneven vapour speed.

The distillate ran clear from start to finish, no blue / yellow tint and no cloudiness. I just shut it down at an estimated 40% coming off the spout (I was testing my newly acquired Ukranian mini-alcometer so between that and the temperature correction I can't be super certain).
20210402_202205.jpg
20210402_202156.jpg
20210402_202142.jpg
Plans are underway for a small extension to my workshop to house my fermenting and stilling projects. My better (and tolerant) half has approved the idea since it will clear no small volume of "stuff" out of the house! This will not be happening for a good few months so for the time being I just have to accept packing everything down after a session.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

That looks like a fine rig especially since space is a concern. Cuts are tougher on smaller runs but I'm sure once you get to know the still you'll produce a great drink!
Plain ole pot rig.