1st run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

JAmZ
Novice

1st run

Post by JAmZ »

Technically this is my 2nd run as my first was a sweet feed run. I was so excited that I forgot to turn down the heat. She ran so fast and she puked. Lesson learned. We'll just call it a sacrificial stripping run. Didn't taste good at all.

1st Successful Run

1 Gallon Arizona Watermelon Fruit Juice (may bump this to 2 gallons next run)
3.5 Gallons Water
5 lbs Sugar
1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
2 Tbs Distillers Super Yeast

Start = 4.5 gallons @ 1.050
End = 4.5 gallons @ .0996 ( 6 day fermentation )

Still = 9.6 gallon ( 3 pot ) (thumper charged with 3" of wash)

I collected in a 250ml Pyrex glass measuring cup (measuring and tasting every 150ml)

Heads = 700ml @ 130 proof
Hearts = 900ml + 400ml @ 110 proof (tasted good, very slight hint of watermelon but almost non-existent)
Tails = 900ml @ 80 proof (very slightly cloudy)

I haven't proofed down the Hearts to 80 yet but I'm sure I'll lose what little watermelon taste there is. Should get 2qt Mason Jars or a bit more of final product.

Comments on anything I can improve on or mistakes?
Will adding another gallon of fruit juice enhance the flavor?
Can I just toss the Heads and Tails into my next wash?

JAmZ
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: 1st run

Post by still_stirrin »

JAmZ wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:03 am 1 Gallon Arizona Watermelon Fruit Juice (may bump this to 2 gallons next run)
3.5 Gallons Water
5 lbs Sugar
1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
2 Tbs Distillers Super Yeast

Comments on anything I can improve on or mistakes? <— Next time, leave out the water. And eliminate the added sugar.
Will adding another gallon of fruit juice enhance the flavor? <— Using ONLY the fruit juice will enhance the flavor.
Can I just toss the Heads and Tails into my next wash? <— Why not? But, don’t add them to the ferment. Add them to the boiler when you run the wash.
Watermelon is a hard flavor to capture, especially when distilling. But, if you’ve got fruit juice, then why not try it.

Hang in there. You’ll get something spectacular. But, it’s gonna’ cost ya’.
ss

edit to add - Are there preservatives in the fruit juice? That could be a challenge.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

OK, so I Googled that juice. This is what I got in return:
FILTERED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP (GLUCOSE-FRUCTOSE SYRUP), PEAR JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, MANGO PUREE, CITRIC ACID, PINEAPPLE JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, KIWI JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, FRUIT & VEGETABLE JUICE FOR COLOR, WATERMELON JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, CHERRY JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN Cp, GUM ACACIA, SUCRALOSE, ESTER GUM

So, no preservatives. But, the sweetness is from the added fructose syrup. OK, it will ferment. But again, when you ferment it, it will reduce the “watermelon” flavor. And by the time you distill it, the fruit flavors will be almost gone. Still, why not try?

Go for it. But, it won’t be cheap...by the time you’re done. And what you get may be a long way from what you were wanting.
ss
JAmZ
Novice

Post by JAmZ »

Appreciate the feedback. Yeah that's the stuff. You think 4.5 gal of fruit juice without water or sugar added would have the SG to ferment? Would adding additional fructose syrup maintain the final flavor of the run? The flavor of watermelon was so little on my first run it was almost non existent.
I'll still give it a go. Can't learn if you don't try. LOL

Thanks for your time.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

JAmZ wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:49 pm...You think 4.5 gal of fruit juice without water or sugar added would have the SG to ferment? <— Maybe, although it will have a low OG. Measure it, then you’ll know.

Would adding additional fructose syrup maintain the final flavor of the run? <— No. Adding any water or syrup will reduce the flavors even more.
So, buy more juice. Add yeast and ferment. Then, strip it in your potstill.

Repeat the above again.

Repeat the above again.

Now, you should have enough (watermelon) low wines to run the spirit run (3 stripping runs).

So, add it all back to the boiler and rerun, making cuts, keeping the front end (heads) in small jars. A lot of the fruit flavors will be in these jars, so you may want to add them back to your “hearts blend”.

Adding water or sugar will only dilute any fruit flavors that you might be able to extract. So, don’t dilute in favor of economics. Remember, I said it wouldn’t be cheap!
ss
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Probably getting to the stage where it would be cheaper to use actual watermelon, though if you're northern hemisphere, you still have a few months to go,
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
JAmZ
Novice

Post by JAmZ »

Sounds like a good plan. I don't mind the extra cost and time for a good final product
I'm in the south. I do plan on using actual fruit at some point but I'm still a newbie. I need more overall knowledge before I run fruit with you big guys.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

JAmZ wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:49 pm Can't learn if you don't try. LOL
Very true ..but sometimes its easier to use recipes that are Tried n True......we have them here in a special section of the forum for that reason.
When ya first start out stillin there is enough to think about , like making good cuts and running the still properly .....without the extra burden of making up ya own weird recipes. Learn to walk before ya try to run :thumbup:
JAmZ
Novice

Post by JAmZ »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:13 am
JAmZ wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:49 pm Can't learn if you don't try. LOL
Very true ..but sometimes its easier to use recipes that are Tried n True......we have them here in a special section of the forum for that reason.
When ya first start out stillin there is enough to think about , like making good cuts and running the still properly .....without the extra burden of making up ya own weird recipes. Learn to walk before ya try to run :thumbup:
I agree. Fermenting a Sweet Feed right now. I'll come back to this watermelon at some point.