First Mash and Run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

DJR1967
Novice

First Mash and Run

Post by DJR1967 »

Made my very first mash and ran it today. Here are the details:

Vevor 18.5 gallon reflux still heated by a propane turkey fryer

Mash bill:
70% Corn
18% Rye
12% 6-row
48 Hr Turbo yeast

My first mash produced 9.5 gallons of wash @15%. I wanted to run the first run slowly as virtually all the advice here was to do so and observe how things go. My original intent was to run this as a stripping run but slowly to gain some experience. I was cautiously conservative with the heat. I tried to keep a close eye on vapor temperature as well as tasting. I took some fairly extensive notes and collected as much data as I could.

Having never distilled and only read the forums and other research, my comments are subjective so I thought I would post as much info as I could and see what wise advice I'd receive. Knowledge is power and I only want to be better so ANY advice, criticism, comments etc are welcome and encouraged.

Here is how my run went:

I collected in pint mason jars. 19 pints in all. I realize I went too far and collected all the way down to 10%....like I said, just to observe and take notes.
I'm not sure by standard if I was running slow enough or not but my collection rate was about a pint every 12 minutes at first and 8 or 9 minutes in the heart of the run. I kept the flame low enough to maintain this draw rate with the vapor temp at around 92 degrees for the bulk of the run. Here are my cuts:

Jar#....Runtime....ABV....Vapor Temp
#1........0:00........58%........78 c
#2........0:17........58%........84 c
#3........0:29........56%........88 c
#4........0:40........54%........88 c
#5........0:48........50%........90 c
#6........0:57........48%........92 c
#7........1:04........45%........92 c
#8........1:12........42%........92 c
#9........1:20........40%........92 c
#10.......1:28........36%........92 c
#11.......1:36........30%........92 C
#12.......1:44........26%........92 C
#13.......1:51........24%........92 c
#14.......1:58........22%........92 c
#15.......2:06........20%........94 c
#16.......2:13........15%........94 c
#17.......2:22........12%........94 c
#18.......2:33........10%........94 c
#19.......2:43........10%........94 c
**Stopped

My original intent was to rework all of this into run #2 BUT #4 or #5 through #12 tasted damn excellent. So a couple questions for input:

1. Can I just combine #4-11 into a gallon and age it with a charred oak spiral for bourbon? And theoretically if I add the ABV of these 8 jars and divide by 8 it computes to an average of 43.125%. Is this a valid calculation?
2. Can I just rework everything else except maybe #1 which is foreshot and beginning of heads?
3. Was my draw rate too fast, too slow, or just right?
*** The only packing in the column was the ceramic balls it came with. My next run I will pack it with copper choreboys. So:
4. Should I remove the ceramic balls first or use both?
5. Should I fill the whole column with packing or just to below the vapor outlet to the condenser?

I know this is a lot but I am SUPER damn stoked about this and just wanna get better!!! Thank you all for your knowledge contained in these boards!!!
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First Mash and Run

Post by NormandieStill »

If this was your first run through the still then it should be considered sacrificial. (You haven't mentioned cleaning runs so I'm assuming that you didn't already do a vinegar run + sac run). You just cleaned out the remaining flux and oils from construction and you don't want to be drinking those.

Next, you should be making your cuts by taste + smell, not abv or vapour temp. Read Novice guide to Cuts and Better Cuts with better Dilution.

I'm still new to all this, and for the minute just run a pot still so I can't help you with regards to running a reflux still, but I do know that if you're trying to pull flavour across, then you probably want to be running without packing in pot still mode. Those abvs resemble what I just got from a stripping run of a Turbo sugar wash so I would say you maybe want to chuck the fores and run the rest a second time. But taste them properly and take notes before you make the call... unless this was your first alcohol through the system in which case don't taste them and get mashing again.

Also your wash abv seems very high. Most aim for 6-10% to avoid stressing the yeast and producing off-flavours which will end up in your product.

Hope this doesn't come across as too critical. I understand very well the excitement and desire to dive straight in, but take your time and your tastebuds (and brain) will thank you for it.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
DJR1967
Novice

Post by DJR1967 »

I should have mentioned...I did a vinegar run followed by a steam followed by a sacrificial 4 gallon run of some fortified wine I made a few years ago.

I did taste each jar as pulled and noted where I approximated the heads ended and where the tails began. Initially I was just looking for the nasties to disappear but kept going and noticed some surprising deliciousness in the hearts.

I have company coming tomorrow so I will get some help tasting and taking notes
DJR1967
Novice

Post by DJR1967 »

5e9b3685-dd77-4308-85b1-bb9ed224556f.jpg
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I know about the vinegar run but can't recall what percentage of vinegar to water is usual.
I'm about to 'commission' my modified still (now on electric power) ...

Advice would be appreciated.

Geoff
The Baker
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

If my math is close you have about 2.4 gallons of low wines at about 34 to 36% . Having had a look at the still you used, and re-reading your post, id say make another mash and run it, then another mash and run it and stop using turbo yeast.. THEN, take the combined total of the three runs, and add it all to your still, that should get you about 7 gallons of low wines at 35% to then do a proper spirit run.
You'll notice a big improvement in the ABV, and the quality of the product.
Collect in the same way for each of the runs. On the Spirit run, add some copper to your vapor path, let your jars rest and make your selections for the blend, based on smell and taste as outlined in the guide to cuts and the better cuts threads mentioned above.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

The Baker wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:45 pm I know about the vinegar run but can't recall what percentage of vinegar to water is usual.
I'm about to 'commission' my modified still (now on electric power) ...

Advice would be appreciated.

Geoff
All I do is a 1:1 ratio of white vinegar and water. One gallon of each, and run it at a good head of steam for 5 minutes and all the parts are too hot to touch. then I shut it down, let it cool and drain it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks, Deplorable.
I spent a while looking for it before I asked.

Geoff
The Baker
DJR1967
Novice

Post by DJR1967 »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:00 pm Collect in the same way for each of the runs. On the Spirit run, add some copper to your vapor path, let your jars rest and make your selections for the blend, based on smell and taste as outlined in the guide to cuts and the better cuts threads mentioned above.
Thank you for the advice! So when I pack the column with copper choreboys do I fill it to the top? Or to just below the vapor outlet to the condenser?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Just a few in there with the ceramics.
You just want copper in the vapor path to deal with sulfur from the fermentation.
DJR1967
Novice

Post by DJR1967 »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:14 am Just a few in there with the ceramics.
You just want copper in the vapor path to deal with sulfur from the fermentation.
Thank you!