A weeks of firsts

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

A weeks of firsts

Post by SomethingObscure »

This forum and many of its member past and present have help me no end. I had a few first this week, not all have gone entirely to plan.

My first, first was I tried using bicarb on the low wines of a rum run. Which I'd heard helps reduce heads, I hate heads in my rum. I did the spirit run the other day and did the cuts today. I was horrified to find that there was an off almost chemically/soapy taste throughout all the jars. I think I may have used too much. My teaspoons were very generous, one quite heaped per litre.

Which leads me to my next first. To make the best of a bad thing I decided to run all all the jars and my tails through my CCVM reflux still. My first real run after steam, vinegar and sac. I was also interested to see how neutral an all molasses rum wash can be. As the molasses I get works out much cheaper than shop bought sugar.

All went well was collected 93% (temperature corrected) most of the way through. Collecting at 3.2 litres per hour. Collected 23 jars all seem very clean with production and abv dropping for the last 5 or so, will do cuts tomorrow but a few samples I had (tempered) off the spout seem good, very good.

Another first of the day. 2 for 1 actually. I did an all grain wash, not sure I can call it a mash because I used the yellow angel yeast(first time), so no mash. After making a SBB inspired water filled container for my aquarium heater to help prevent the grain getting scorched. After a few hours the ferment is off like a Gatling gun.

This hobby seem to get more exciting, interesting and rewarding with each new adventure or mishap.

Thanks HD for getting me this far.

Cheers SomethingObscure