First rum

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hero
Novice

First rum

Post by Hero »

Hello, I have made plenty of variations of sugar washes and recently started playing with grain. Now I really want to make one of my favorite spirits rum!

My question is this, I plan on making with raw sugar cane and molasses using dady yeast and fermax any suggestions? How important is it to save dunder for future runs? How much of a difference does it make? How should i treat/store the dunder? As I mentioned rum is a favorite of mine so I really want to get this one right. Any advice would be appreciated.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: First rum

Post by still_stirrin »

Hero wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:41 amMy question is this, I plan on making with raw sugar cane and molasses using dady yeast and fermax any suggestions?
Yes, we have a forum specifically for rum producers. There are a world’s worth of suggestions there, especially for a new “explorer”.
Hero wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:41 amHow important is it to save dunder for future runs? How much of a difference does it make? How should i treat/store the dunder? As I mentioned rum is a favorite of mine so I really want to get this one right. Any advice would be appreciated.
Same answer....go to the Rum forum and read there. Your questions have all been asked and answered there. No sense to “spoonfeed” you here, OK?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hero
Novice

Post by Hero »

Thank you, I will start digging into it.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Good luck . Be aware that the most important thing in making a good Rum is time in an oak cask . Nothing will taste remotely like Rum straight off the still . It needs at a minimum a year .