Triticale

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

rollmeown
Bootlegger

Triticale

Post by rollmeown »

Local farmer gave me 90 lb of triticale and I wanted to do an all-grain ferment. So here is my grain bill.

45 lbs. Triticale
20 lbs. Corn
16 lbs. Oats.
81 lbs. Grain total. 45 gallons total volume.
Grain was milled down to a coarse cornmeal texture.

Now I started using booners casual all corn protocol no boil method I've used in the past and has worked pretty good some success some fail. I haven't done one in a few years. So I started this yesterday and using enzymes work very well last night at 8:00 I added the second enzyme the SebAmy. At 148°. pH was 5.3 Let it rest overnight 12 hours.

This morning everyone everything look good did a starch test from the top was good. mixed it up did a SG of 1.090 at 117° temp correction 1.100 this was with 30 gallons of boiling water mixed in.

I haven't mixed in the other 15 gallons to cool down and top off. Did another starch test and it was black so is this a good conversion? Does the SG tell me it's good? Or does the starch test day no go?

Thank you.

Rollmeown
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Triticale

Post by still_stirrin »

rollmeown wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:24 am... Did another starch test and it was black so is this a good conversion?...
Nope.

Black or purple black indicates starch, not sugars. If it is amber, or the color of the iodine...then it’s done.

So, you haven’t had much conversion, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. And your gravity reading is just measuring the starch content.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Question....how long did you gelatinize your grains? Triticale needs to be gelatinized just like the corn, and I’m assuming you also used raw oats too. When you gelatinize the grains, they’ll absorb a lot of water and turn mushy, like a pudding. It also will start to break down long chain starch molecules so the gluco-amylase enzymes can reduce them to sugars.

Incidentally, the triticale is similar to wheat in flavor. Your grainbill will produce a very smooth whiskey, almost “vodka-like”. I would have used 15-20% barley malt, however. I think the malt gives it a more traditional flavor. But, with the availability of local grains will give your whiskey a “homegrown” personality. That’s always great.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

Brought my water up to 205° on both batches 15 gallons each. Insulated fermenter. Dumped half grain into each batch. Let it sit for 8 hours before it reached 148°. Stirring every couple hours. Used the SEB HTL. Added SEB Amy at 148° let sit overnight till 8 am and then a additional 10. Tasted sweet but still showing starch. Guess I will add sugar and let it rip. Got another 45lbs to play around with. Really need to get a steam wand do I can reheat such a large amount to redo.

Thanks

Rollmeown