Just starting out...

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Swingbattermn
Novice

Just starting out...

Post by Swingbattermn »

I’ve got a 10 gallon keg (of sorts) and some copper and stainless on the way, soon to be a modular tri-clamp based CCVM with a 2” column. Still have to buy a heating element (and a port for it), a drain/valve and some caps for the extra ports that came with this keg. Otherwise, I’ll have almost all the parts for the column by tonight (at least if Amazon is on time!).

Question for those with experience, if I place my tri-clamp port as shown on the CAD drawing, is it much of a problem that my vapor path is not quite the highest point of the boiler?
29C8C8F9-B52A-4D2C-94C0-8A535CFF78E8.jpeg
316D7E87-CF96-4304-93E7-F564848211FF.jpeg
Wherever you go, there you are.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Just starting out...

Post by still_stirrin »

Swingbattermn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:08 amQuestion for those with experience:
if I place my tri-clamp port as shown on the CAD drawing, is it much of a problem that my vapor path is not quite the highest point of the boiler?
Quick answer.....no, it won’t make any difference whether it is “centered” or “at the highest point”.

BUT.....the racetrack seal is RUBBER and that is frowned upon here on the HD website. Rubber can and will impart bad things into your spirits, so you don’t want any rubber where there will be hot alcohol (and other volatile) vapors. The racetrack opening typical to Cornelous kegs is a “total deal breaker”. The Corny will work great for beer....but not for spirits (or a boiler).

Keep looking for a used Sanke tap keg, and I’d recommend a 1/2 barrel (15.5 gallon) keg. Heavy 304 stainless steel is easily weldable and very durable, ie - safe for our purpose for a boiler. Plus, the Sanke outlet is easily adapted to mate with a 2” tri-clover ferrule and clamp.

Sorry to bring you the bad news...but before spending more money on the Corny keg, you can still make (some) use out of it....BEER!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Swingbattermn
Novice

Re: Just starting out...

Post by Swingbattermn »

“BUT.....the racetrack seal is RUBBER and that is frowned upon here on the HD website. Rubber can and will impart bad things into your spirits, so you don’t want any rubber where there will be hot alcohol (and other volatile) vapors. The racetrack opening typical to Cornelous kegs is a “total deal breaker”. The Corny will work great for beer....but not for spirits (or a boiler).”

Thanks for the input, my intent was to replace the original seal, or wrap the original with a couple layers of PTFE tape. I’ve heard a common practice to seal the tri-clamp seats is with a cardboard gasket wrapped in PTFE, I assume wrapping the original rubber (or silicone) gasket would be the same effect? I will keep my eyes peeled for a sanke in the mean time... in my case, this korny was a case of ‘right place, right price’ and it was too damn pretty to pass up.

EDIT: rubber no good as it’ll melt. Learnin’, learnin’, learnin’...
Wherever you go, there you are.