My first stripping run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

dnivek73
Novice

My first stripping run

Post by dnivek73 »

Well after 2 months waiting I finally have my still(Stillman X). I set it up in pot still mode and got to it today. I had 25 gallons of wash ready to distill that I had made with 50 percent peated barely. I managed to run two stripping runs today of 8 gallons each, yielding just over two gallons distillate. My plan is to run the remaining stripping run in the morning then do the spirit run in the afternoon. Everything went very well on the second stripping run, but I managed to puke the first one early on running too fast. I got my burner dialed in after that; recovered quickly and still got a good yield from the run. It was a long day, running 10am-4pm . That seems long to me from reading others posts on stripping runs, but after that first puke I didn't want to risk running any faster. Tomorrow will be another first for me as I do my spirit run.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first stripping run

Post by Deplorable »

6 hours for back to back strips isn't that bad.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

For 16 gallons of wash with peat, I'd expect around 4.5 gallons of low wines for the spirit run. If I had feints to add to the low wines, I'd strip even lower.
The low yield with the slow run will leave a lot of that peat behind in the wash.

If you want peat in the spirit run, then you need to do everything right in the stripping runs and running too slow and too shallow won't get you there. Some of the heavier compounds need more energy to push them over into the condenser, so running too slow can leave a lot of desirable compounds in the boiler.

If foaming is an issue (it usually is), then three smaller strips may get you done quicker than two.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

2 gallons is a lot less than I would expect. What is your Low Wines collection's abv?
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

dnivek73 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:10 pmI managed to run two stripping runs today of 8 gallons each, yielding just over two gallons distillate.
This is a pretty low yield. What was your ABV of the wash? I typically get about 25% to 30% of my original wash volume in low wines when I do whisky or rum, depending on how deep I run into the tails. And I LOVE running really, really deep into the tails, almost to the point where there's just water coming off. I taste off the spout and only when I can't detect alcohol in the distillate anymore do I stop my still. Yes, maybe a bit far, but I'm a stingy bastard and I hate throwing away alcohol.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

They seem few to me too, maybe you had a (too) low abv initial? Or you stopped too early in the collection ..
dnivek73
Novice

Post by dnivek73 »

This is a single malt and was fermented off grain. My wash abv was 14%. 16 gallons x 14% is 2.2 gallons seems right to me. I was under the assumption this was a very normal abv. for grains. I don't add sugar... I don't know how you all are getting 25-30%... I ran the still until I was in tails around 20%. If there is a trick for getting more sugars out of my grains please tell me.
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

I would love to see that recipe. 14% ABV from an all-grain wash is impressive, and dare I say it, I believe you made a mistake in the measurements. I've been making beers for a while and even when attempting a high-ABV beer like a Triple stout you have to boost the ABV with some sort of simple sugar, as your efficiency tanks once you go over about 9% ABV (in my experience). Can you please share your:

1. Starting gravity of the wash
2. Ending gravity of the wash

Also, 16 gallons x 14% ABV = 2.2 gallons, yes, but only if you distill out 100% pure ethanol - and that doesn't happen. Unless you have a really good reflux still, you won't be collecting a total ABV across the stripping run over about 40% ABV. Mine's typically even lower, around 30% ABV, which means you should have gotten close to 4, maybe even more, of low wines from 16 gallons of wash, and not just 2 gallons.

We're not attacking, we're trying to help. Something is amiss with you numbers and I think you're either reading the numbers wrong, or you are throwing away alcohol or sugar or both.
dnivek73
Novice

Post by dnivek73 »

Toxxyc wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:49 am I would love to see that recipe. 14% ABV from an all-grain wash is impressive, and dare I say it, I believe you made a mistake in the measurements. I've been making beers for a while and even when attempting a high-ABV beer like a Triple stout you have to boost the ABV with some sort of simple sugar, as your efficiency tanks once you go over about 9% ABV (in my experience). Can you please share your:

1. Starting gravity of the wash
2. Ending gravity of the wash
I rechecked my data chart and you're right, I flubbed the math. I have a total Abv across three different mashes of 7.5%. I am guessing my mash/sparge process is lacking to return better sugars. I am currently using a grain bag and a watering can to sparge. I plan on making a mash tun in the near future from a Home Depot 10 gallon cooler.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If I had 7.5%, I’d get over 4 gallons of low wines of about 27%, so I suspect that you have either shut down your strips too early, or have a vapor leak.
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

NZChris wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:51 am If I had 7.5%, I’d get over 4 gallons of low wines of about 27%, so I suspect that you have either shut down your strips too early, or have a vapor leak.
I bet hes shutting down early wouldn't you smell a leak? I have done several 16 gallon ag mashes and came out with the same 4 gallon at 25 to 30 percent.
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy