First SCD CROW

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

ash_from_oz
Novice

First SCD CROW

Post by ash_from_oz »

I Put down an SCD CROW to ferment a few weeks ago.

Followed the process SCD posted and worked a treat. First AG attempt so I was a bit surprised how thick it was in the early stages then after the malts had some time to work their magic it started to look and feel a bit better.

I need to get a refractometer or work out a better way to get enough strained liquid to do an SG but I trusted that it thinned out and there would be some sugar to ferment. if not I would learn something.

Fermented on the grain, left it sealed under airlock for 2 weeks post ferment as I didn't have time to run it, have since done a stripping run, pulled about 3L at about 50% from the 18-20L of wash I actually got into the boiler. I'll need to do 2 more batches to get a decent sized spirit run to put through. I run 30l fermenters.

I poured the grain slop into a BIAB bag to strain it and fumbled around trying to squeeze the grain out for 20-30minutes. I will look into mop wringers if I keep doing AG runs as what I did was a pain in the ass.

I have tried to get my grain to go a bit further and try to get a bit more stock up quicker so I'm running a sugar wash on the spent grain, put 5L of backset onto 4.5kg sugar and mixed that, put that onto the grain and mixed it with a paint stirrer and a drill. let that sit for a while and cool a little, added some cool water and pitched some yeast, took off nicely and I'll see how that goes.

I'm going to put down 2 more ferments side by side on the weekend and then will follow them up with sugar heads, then after 3 strips I'll run a spirit then and put them on oak.

This is the kind of stuff i was looking forward to making so hoping I can make some half decent product, then I'll build up a nice aging stock.

A bit of a shame that I have small fermenters so have to take some time to get my spirit run, but I'll have to wait months to get the flavour developed anyway so not a big deal.

A lot of good info on the here and it's been super helpful so far, no was I'd be anywhere near were I'm at without it. keen to see how far I can develop this little hobby.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First SCD CROW

Post by Deplorable »

Try doing a step mash on the Rye and the Oats before adding them to the corn porridge. The glucan rest on the oats and rye will help a little with the post ferment squeezing. Especially if you used unmalted rye and quick oats.
My CROW is coming up on 3 months on charred oak sticks and it's beginning to come around.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

I use malted rye and rolled oats but I can give that a go on my next attempt. I'll try anything to make the squeeze easier. I read enough on here to know it was gonna be a pain and I will get the mop wringer soon, but if step mashing will make it a little easier I'll take it.

3 months sounds OK, I'm hoping to have a reasonable amount of drinking stock by Christmas so that should give me 6-7 months of aging on a few different recipes.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

ash_from_oz wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:01 am I use malted rye and rolled oats but I can give that a go on my next attempt. I'll try anything to make the squeeze easier. I read enough on here to know it was gonna be a pain and I will get the mop wringer soon, but if step mashing will make it a little easier I'll take it.

3 months sounds OK, I'm hoping to have a reasonable amount of drinking stock by Christmas so that should give me 6-7 months of aging on a few different recipes.
I've only made one batch of this so far. The 2nd bourbon I did was a traditional corn, rye, and barley. I did a step mash on the 2nd mash, and the squeeze was easier. When I make the next batch of this I'll step mash the wheat, rye and oats before adding to the corn porridge. My experience with this as my first attempt was really slimey and difficult to get the grais to give up the liquid.
Before trying my hand at bourbon, I did four 25 gallon mashes of 100% malted barley. That 5 gallons is now 6 months old in a 5 gallon cask and it's about to start getting hard to stay out of it.
My CROW is 3 months old in a gallon jug, and I think it'll probably be pretty good at 6 months.
Have fun, and stay busy, before you know it, you'll have a good stock of booze.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

ash_from_oz wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:13 am
I need to get a refractometer or work out a better way to get enough strained liquid to do an SG but I trusted that it thinned out and there would be some sugar to ferment. if not I would learn something.
I fought getting a starting gravity from thick bourbon mashes with a higher (malted) rye content until I stepped mashed the rye. If you aren't already, look to mill all of your grains to a meal or slightly finer. Your conversion time will go down and your conversion yield will go up. It was quite a task for you to tackle this grain bill as your first mash. The whole process will improve and get easier with practice.

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

Ok

So let's see if I have this right.

I am using the simple mash method as I don't have a proper mash set up yet. It works well enough for me at the moment.

To step mash this I would put my cornmeal in one container and add the boiling water and insulate it letting it drop slowly. Then in another container have the oats, rye and wheat in water at 150f insulated then when the corn is at 150f ish I would combine the containers and let come down to pitching temp?

Or would I need to do a proper mash with the step mash process?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Add boiling water to your corn in the fermenter and wrap it up. Stir it occasionally.
Set back enough water for your small grains to mash.
Beginning with the lowest temp rest, add the rye wheat and oats at the correct temps and resting times on the way UP to 148°. When the corn porridge drops to 148, add in the step mash and let it rest holding the temps until you have full conversion.
I do 25 gallon mashes and I use about 2.5 gallons of water 6# of rye. The rest of the 25 gallons is all mixed into the corn meal in two steps. Half the corn meal and 12 gallons of water, then the other half the corn with the remainder of the water from the 2nd boil. I start my step mash after the corn has dropped to around 170.

If you're using HT enzymes to convert your corn and thin it out, the temps will drop a little faster, and you'll get better conversion.
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

Deplorable wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:40 pm Add boiling water to your corn in the fermenter and wrap it up. Stir it occasionally.
Set back enough water for your small grains to mash.
Beginning with the lowest temp rest, add the rye wheat and oats at the correct temps and resting times on the way UP to 148°. When the corn porridge drops to 148, add in the step mash and let it rest holding the temps until you have full conversion.
I do 25 gallon mashes and I use about 2.5 gallons of water 6# of rye. The rest of the 25 gallons is all mixed into the corn meal in two steps. Half the corn meal and 12 gallons of water, then the other half the corn with the remainder of the water from the 2nd boil. I start my step mash after the corn has dropped to around 170.

If you're using HT enzymes to convert your corn and thin it out, the temps will drop a little faster, and you'll get better conversion.
Legend.

Seems fairly straight forward.

Do the enzymes change any flavour or just help with conversion I might have to pick up some high temp enzymes and give it a crack see if I get some better yield.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Purely conversion. Get yourself some.
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

Step mash is currently going. Got the malts in a jug of 150f water in a small cooler, I have the cornmeal cooking away in a plastic bucket sealed and wrapped up in blankets.

I'll mix ever 90 minutes or so with my paint stirrer on a drill and combine them when the corn is at 150f

Ordered some enzymes to try on my next batch. Thanks for the help, I am keen to see how this goes.