CCVM still first time build

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: CCVM still first time build

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I don't think it matters for the RC. The center and coils will completely fill no matter which direction it goes because of gravity. Probably doesn't matter for a Dimroth PC either, idk. Anyway, I also have a PVC ball valve on the output of both my RC and Dimroth PC so that there's some little bit of back pressure to assure that everything is filled with coolant.

The only reason it's important for a liebig or shotgun is because the jacket needs to fill completely. If you put the input on top, the jacket won't fill completely with water, it will just run down the inside surface and out the bottom, leaving air gaps in the jacket. That's why it's important to connect the input to the bottom - gravity will fill the jacket and the water will flow out the top once the jacket is full.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Thank you gents.

I've tested them in series using mains water and get a really good flow, so I'll run another test with a pump when I get time to see how well it pushes.
I'd like to run using a 15gal water butt that I've got, but even though our mains water is cold here I have a feeling it won't be enough volume so I may have to add another vessel, or freezer some water bottles to drop in during runs.
Hate the thought of "Wasting" all that water.
Make Booze, not War!
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

I use a repurposed 40 gallon water softener reservoir and a pump for my coolant. It can get really hot (115 deg F) with a 10 gallon reflux run. 15 gallons is going to be too small. I'd go with a 55 gallon platic barrel if possible.
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

Your builds looking good Mooseman :thumbup: , I am also in Wales (Ynys Môn) and also use a 2.5 inch CCVM which makes very good neutral for vodka or infusing .

As Kimbodious said , a sight glass is really useful ,not just for checking for the possibility of flooding. it is helpful to be able to see what happens when you change any of the variables especially when you first start . For example when i'm keeping mine in 100% reflux I want a decent stream coming off the reflux condenser not just a few drops so I adjust the heat and the water to get that . this can be done by listening but being able to see it actually happen makes it a lot easier .Also Kimbodious's instructions for running a CCVM on page 3 of his thread here https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... t#p7583376 are good guidelines to follow . 1 hour in 100% reflux and then once you get to the hearts adjust heat and RC to get an unbroken stream seems to work well for me with a 2.5 but your mileage may vary as they say . an hour may be excessive

Those glasses you have look good , i'd be tempted to use one of them to make a d.i.y sightglass IF they are the right kind of glass , it needs to be borosilicate/pyrex/lab-glass for a still , something that will be able to withstand thermal shock . Apparently you can test glass by putting them in the freezer overnight and then pouring boiling water over them and inside them . if they don't break then they are probably the kind of glass thats good to use . if you look at how sightglasses that you can buy go together , it could give you some ideas of ways to hold a glass piece in place . ptfe sheet is good for making gaskets to hold glass .

I do not know how a 6 inch wide by 16 tall glass would behave if it was below the take-off of your 2.5 column though , it may mess with the reflux ratio , but trust me you will be hooked once you make your own spirits so its probably worth saving them for future still making , they could possibly make a nice expansion chamber for a pot still . or you might want a 6 inch column for your next still :shock:
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Thanks Booze. I think it was Prairiepiss who suggested one hour in total reflux. One hour does give great compression of fores and heads on my system. I have tried both thirty minutes and forty five minutes in total reflux with varying levels of success. After a number of runs I don’t do it by the clock anymore, I just take notice of the changes in the system that lets me know that it has reached a new point of equilibrium. There is a difference in how it sounds and a decrease in the visible level of falling condensate. If in doubt, starting out, leave it in total reflux longer.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Deleted, doubled up post.
Last edited by MooseMan on Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Booze, not War!
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Boozewaves wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:13 pm Your builds looking good Mooseman :thumbup: , I am also in Wales (Ynys Môn) and also use a 2.5 inch CCVM which makes very good neutral for vodka or infusing .

As Kimbodious said , a sight glass is really useful ,not just for checking for the possibility of flooding. it is helpful to be able to see what happens when you change any of the variables especially when you first start . For example when i'm keeping mine in 100% reflux I want a decent stream coming off the reflux condenser not just a few drops so I adjust the heat and the water to get that . this can be done by listening but being able to see it actually happen makes it a lot easier .Also Kimbodious's instructions for running a CCVM on page 3 of his thread here https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... t#p7583376 are good guidelines to follow . 1 hour in 100% reflux and then once you get to the hearts adjust heat and RC to get an unbroken stream seems to work well for me with a 2.5 but your mileage may vary as they say . an hour may be excessive

Those glasses you have look good , i'd be tempted to use one of them to make a d.i.y sightglass IF they are the right kind of glass , it needs to be borosilicate/pyrex/lab-glass for a still , something that will be able to withstand thermal shock . Apparently you can test glass by putting them in the freezer overnight and then pouring boiling water over them and inside them . if they don't break then they are probably the kind of glass thats good to use . if you look at how sightglasses that you can buy go together , it could give you some ideas of ways to hold a glass piece in place . ptfe sheet is good for making gaskets to hold glass .

I do not know how a 6 inch wide by 16 tall glass would behave if it was below the take-off of your 2.5 column though , it may mess with the reflux ratio , but trust me you will be hooked once you make your own spirits so its probably worth saving them for future still making , they could possibly make a nice expansion chamber for a pot still . or you might want a 6 inch column for your next still :shock:
Thanks Boozewaves, I'm really happy with it this far.

As it happens you couldn't be any further from me in Wales, which is a shame as I could have done with an experienced "Buddy" when I start to run.
I'll be picking your brains on how your 2.5" column runs though, for sure!

If I ever get enough spare time, I'm going to look at making my own sight tower rather than buying one though, as I have access to a full tool room at work.
2x turned plates and 4x compression bars, basically!
Make Booze, not War!
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

MooseMan wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:32 am Thanks Boozewaves, I'm really happy with it this far.

As it happens you couldn't be any further from me in Wales, which is a shame as I could have done with an experienced "Buddy" when I start to run.
I'll be picking your brains on how your 2.5" column runs though, for sure!

If I ever get enough spare time, I'm going to look at making my own sight tower rather than buying one though, as I have access to a full tool room at work.
2x turned plates and 4x compression bars, basically!
feel free to pick my brains for 2.5 related questions , ask me in this thread or send a message I usually come on here every day to read new posts . yeah shame you are far away , I woulda been up for that . but you will get the hang of it quite quickly . going by the height you should have no problems making good booze . I will make some notes for you next time I run which will be soon as i'm getting fed up buying overpriced lager from the shop when I feel like a drink so I have a batch fermenting

I made my own sight glass but I did not do much "making" , I bought a 2.5inch sightglass for £45 and put my own glass on it which is a solar panel borosilicate glass tube (I bought a job lot of them) , its about 5 foot 6 by 2.5 inches wide , I replaced the 4 bolts with some long threaded rod and made my own gaskets from PTFE sheet , I did have to cut the glass as one end was closed - they look like big test tubes so I made a jig and chopped them with diamond dremel cutting discs . if you have access to a lathe that would be great for gasket making , mine were made by using a holesaw , if I remake the gaskets I will use a lathe as I have to splat them with flour paste sometimes because of cutting the gaskets not 100% square . A lathe would be amazing for making plates to hold the glass also . especially if you could get some thick copper to turn . that would be joyous compared to machining stainless
kimbodious wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:45 pm Thanks Booze. I think it was Prairiepiss who suggested one hour in total reflux. One hour does give great compression of fores and heads on my system. I have tried both thirty minutes and forty five minutes in total reflux with varying levels of success. After a number of runs I don’t do it by the clock anymore, I just take notice of the changes in the system that lets me know that it has reached a new point of equilibrium. There is a difference in how it sounds and a decrease in the visible level of falling condensate. If in doubt, starting out, leave it in total reflux longer.
thanks again for your help when I started out :thumbup: , I have not ran for a while but as I said above buying shop alcohols a waste of money when I know I can make my own top shelf for £3 a litre so i'll be back on it soon , just started a ferment yesterday . hope you are well :D
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Boozewaves wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:24 pm I will make some notes for you next time I run which will be soon

I made my own sight glass but I did not do much "making" , I bought a 2.5inch sightglass for £45 and put my own glass on it which is a solar panel borosilicate glass tube (I bought a job lot of them) , its about 5 foot 6 by 2.5 inches wide , I replaced the 4 bolts with some long threaded rod and made my own gaskets from PTFE sheet , I did have to cut the glass as one end was closed - they look like big test tubes so I made a jig and chopped them with diamond dremel cutting discs . if you have access to a lathe that would be great for gasket making , mine were made by using a holesaw , if I remake the gaskets I will use a lathe as I have to splat them with flour paste sometimes because of cutting the gaskets not 100% square . A lathe would be amazing for making plates to hold the glass also . especially if you could get some thick copper to turn . that would be joyous compared to machining stainless.
Some notes from one of your runs would be super useful to me, as you have the same column diameter and I assume a similar setup?
The link to Kimbodious' running notes is gold too, thank you.

When I come to make a sight tower I'll be interested if you have some of that glass spare, happy to give you going rate for it of course. (Getting it to me in one piece may not be so easy!)

Copper plate would be a dream to turn yes! And very expensive! Haha
Make Booze, not War!
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Tummydoc wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:15 pm I use a repurposed 40 gallon water softener reservoir and a pump for my coolant. It can get really hot (115 deg F) with a 10 gallon reflux run. 15 gallons is going to be too small. I'd go with a 55 gallon platic barrel if possible.
Tried out the pump today for a dummy run just to see how it would cope with continuous running.

12v Seaflo marine pump, high quality pump that I acquired in a previous job.
IMG_20210726_173903_254.jpg
Running off a bank of 4off 20ah server type batteries wired in parallel, (To maintain 12v but multiply amps) charge controller and next gen solar panel on my garage roof. Pic taken after 5hrs of discharging and batteries reading healthy.
IMG_20210726_174137_628.jpg
The pump ran for around 5hrs with no issue just recirculating cold water, the pump body got to about 45c (28c ambient) but the water temp didn't change at all, and flow rate is crazy high! 17l/hr nominal, but at 10mm house diameter probably pushing around 10l?
Didn't make much of a dent in the batteries, as it was pulling 5amps so I think I'm good to use this setup to run with.

I'll take your advice Tummydoc and get a bigger reservoir of some kind before the first cleaning and sac run, but I'm real happy that this pump and solar system cuts the mustard for starters!
Make Booze, not War!
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

MooseMan wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:59 am Some notes from one of your runs would be super useful to me, as you have the same column diameter and I assume a similar setup?
The link to Kimbodious' running notes is gold too, thank you.

When I come to make a sight tower I'll be interested if you have some of that glass spare, happy to give you going rate for it of course. (Getting it to me in one piece may not be so easy!)

Copper plate would be a dream to turn yes! And very expensive! Haha
yes I will definitely make some notes , my brew is nearly finished :D , I will need to do stripping runs first with my still set up like a pot still and then i'll be ready to reflux . should have notes by the 7/7

my setup is pretty similar to yours , all pipes are 2.5 inch except for the 2.5 to 2 inch reducer going to the keg , I use a gas burner instead of electric and lava rock instead of copper mesh but results should be similar

I have spare glasses in the attic and will post you one if you like when you are at that stage , they are quite fragile unfortunately as they are 2mm thick , I have broke a few going through doors and catching the end on the door frame or tightening the threaded rods too much . once in place they are fine . and my sight glass tower supports the weight of all the other pipes at the top that are stainless just fine without needing supporting (if boiler is full)

I see people are selling copper ingots that they have cast themselves on ebay , they seem to be about £15 a kilo , if the ingot was square or round that might be a good starting point for sightglass ends and a lot cheaper than buying a new piece of copper to turn . also beaver diy on youtube has a video about making a sightglass that might be worth a look as well when you plan yours .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Boozewaves wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:02 am I see people are selling copper ingots that they have cast themselves on ebay , they seem to be about £15 a kilo , if the ingot was square or round that might be a good starting point for sightglass ends and a lot cheaper than buying a new piece of copper to turn . also beaver diy on youtube has a video about making a sightglass that might be worth a look as well when you plan yours .
Sorry but I'm finding this a little confusing....maybe I'm misunderstanding, why not just make them the way everybody else has been for years. There are plenty of tried and tested methods out there for making easy flanges, or parts are cheap to buy.
A 2 inch sight glass costs about $3.50 US
A 2 inch stainless ferrule is about $5.50
2 inch triclamp $7ish
A copper socket like this is about $5 shape it to your column to fix the rest too.
Seems a whole lot easier than mucking around with copper ingots and such.
sight 03.jpg
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

the reason I mentioned ingots was because Mooseman mentioned making the base and top for one by using a lathe , seems a convenient way to get a "chunk" to shape if he wanted to make a sightglass similar to the ones that are sold . like this
measurement.png
. ignore the red lines

I know what you mean by that picture , like sightglasses for a flute , this may be a good option for him to think about and yes definitely cheaper
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ok.....i dont really see how putting one of those on a CCVM makes it any more functional.
Its just bling really.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:42 am
Sorry but I'm finding this a little confusing....maybe I'm misunderstanding, why not just make them the way everybody else has been for years. There are plenty of tried and tested methods out there for making easy flanges, or parts are cheap to buy.
A 2 inch sight glass costs about $3.50 US
A 2 inch stainless ferrule is about $5.50
2 inch triclamp $7ish
A copper socket like this is about $5 shape it to your column to fix the rest too.
Seems a whole lot easier than mucking around with copper ingots and such.
sight 03.jpg
Personally, I would be tickled to observe one of my buddies with CNC lathes turn a couple of chunks of copper into precision sightglass ends. One theoretical step closer to running an all-copper still, it would be about having something unique, but moreso the satisfaction of turning a cool concept into reality.

For some in this hobby, it's not always about getting off cheap and easy, but having a hand in influencing the possibilities.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I can understand the sense of pride you would get from building something like that. Not so much a still, but a personal treasure.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:49 am Ok.....i dont really see how putting one of those on a CCVM makes it any more functional.
Its just bling really.
Doesn’t make it more functional but can help in giving info for operating it particularly if you want to maintain it at a certain level of reflux.
[utube] [/utube]
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Sometimes I need to read back further before commenting, for some reason I thought this build was supposed to be as simple and cheap as possible and by someone who had few skills when it came to building things........hence my comments, I was trying to keep things cheap and easy.
Maybe I got it confused with another build, after reading back through the thread I can see that none of the above is correct.
I try to read all new posts on the forum every day and help folk where I can. Sometimes I get it wrong.
Nice build MM.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:04 pm Sometimes I need to read back further before commenting, for some reason I thought this build was supposed to be as simple and cheap as possible and by someone who had few skills when it came to building things........hence my comments, I was trying to keep things cheap and easy.
Maybe I got it confused with another build, after reading back through the thread I can see that none of the above is correct.
I try to read all new posts on the forum every day and help folk where I can. Sometimes I get it wrong.
Nice build MM.
Thanks Bill I appreciate that.

You are partially correct after all, in that I'm most certainly a cheap ass!
If I need something, and can build it or modify it I'll do so, and happily use what I have even if it's not perfect, rather than buy something.

And considering this thread now has over 100 posts I think you can be forgiven for not wanting to wade through the whole thing!

I'm really enjoying building my own setup, and I'm so glad that I took the time to do lots of research before I started it because I'll now have a setup that will change with my requirements.
I'm very grateful for all of the advice and help that's been offered to me already here, it's really refreshing as a total newbie to a hobby, to be welcomed and nudged gently in the right direction by people who genuinely want me to get a successful result.
Make Booze, not War!
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Twisted Brick wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:22 am Personally, I would be tickled to observe one of my buddies with CNC lathes turn a couple of chunks of copper into precision sightglass ends. One theoretical step closer to running an all-copper still, it would be about having something unique, but moreso the satisfaction of turning a cool concept into reality.

For some in this hobby, it's not always about getting off cheap and easy, but having a hand in influencing the possibilities.
I have a full tool room at work but it's pretty old school, so no CNC, just good old fashioned lathes and mills etc.
If I can find suitable materials I'll definitely have a go at making the carriage for the sight glass.
Make Booze, not War!
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Here an easy way to do sight glasses. Very much the way the first was done on here. Copper pipe coped to fit column, a conex (compression?) strait union trimed in 2. Wrap glass in teflon tape. The copper pipe isolate the brass union from product.
T16.jpg
T16.jpg (20.8 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

MooseMan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:58 am
I have a full tool room at work but it's pretty old school, so no CNC, just good old fashioned lathes and mills etc.
If I can find suitable materials I'll definitely have a go at making the carriage for the sight glass.
I love old school. I've been dreaming of getting another buddy who owns a spinning shop to spin a copper dome for my keg.
IMG_7234.JPG
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:41 pm I love old school. I've been dreaming of getting another buddy who owns a spinning shop to spin a copper dome for my keg.
IMG_7234.JPG
I'm drooling over that pic...
One of my other hobbies is wood turning, I've got 2 main lathes, a Swedish Luna with 18" of swing and a 4ft bed for bowls and hollow forms, and a little fox for smaller stuff.
If I could only make still parts out of wood, I'd be sorted!
Make Booze, not War!
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Setsumi wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:19 am Here an easy way to do sight glasses. Very much the way the first was done on here. Copper pipe coped to fit column, a conex (compression?) strait union trimed in 2. Wrap glass in teflon tape. The copper pipe isolate the brass union from product.

T16.jpg
I'm going to investigate this Setsumi, seems like a really easy way to get a view into the column.
Thanks for taking the time to include a picture.
Make Booze, not War!
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Chinese element controllers arrived and I have all the cable now, so I'll be wiring up on the weekend.

I got 2x 6kw SCR type controllers (I believe basically a bridge rectifier and a pot?) to hopefully have plenty of headroom with my 2kw elements.
These type:
3d037cef191e6f75a7826713104bbdadb43722b0_original.jpeg
Have any of you guys had experience with these?
And if so any advice regarding wiring or use?

I'm planning to fit both into a basic box or panel, with the heatsinks outside ideally.
I'll have both on full for heat up, then turn one off as I approach running temps and use the other to dial in to correct temperature.
I may add an LCD wattage/voltage monitor if I think needed.

Any pointers at all from anyone who has used these or a similar type would be very welcome before I start.
Make Booze, not War!
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

If it was me, I would keep one as a spare. Have one element on a simple binary on off switch for heat up. Have the other on the SCR for the spirit run. But that is just me!
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Wire your hot in and out to your element. You can put an amp meter CT after the unit to help reading amp reduction. A fan helps to keep it cool.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

kimbodious wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:05 am If it was me, I would keep one as a spare. Have one element on a simple binary on off switch for heat up. Have the other on the SCR for the spirit run. But that is just me!
Yeah my plan from the start was to have 2x elements not just to have faster heat up but so that I've got a backup if one fails, and same with the controller's.

I just thought, I'll wire them both up the same, see what kind of life they have and if one fails at any point I can order another, or a better alternative, and still have a means of running. (Not that I'm gonna be running that often!)

But I do get your reasoning Kim, definitely on the same page.
Make Booze, not War!
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Setsumi wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:16 am Wire your hot in and out to your element. You can put an amp meter CT after the unit to help reading amp reduction. A fan helps to keep it cool.
Yes I may put a meter in the system if I think it's useful after the cleaning runs, and same with a fan if needed, hopefully not with the headroom I've got on the controller's.

Should have time to wire up tomorrow, so I'll put up a pic once I've got it all assembled and boil some water through the entire system and see what occurs!!!
Make Booze, not War!
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Another thing you could consider is a bypass switch. I noticed that the only time my controller got hot was when it was running at full power. I put in a bypass switch so that the power went straight to the element if I didn’t need to control it. The switch had 3 settings, Off, On no control, On with control. You could just put a bypass switch on one element circuit.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still