First run with power controller

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

ash_from_oz
Novice

First run with power controller

Post by ash_from_oz »

So I've run a many runs through my reflux to pump out a heap of neutral for both drinking and flavouring. Then after starting to attempt running whiskey through a pot still I didn't see my self having any issues with speed. I was wrong. I have done a few spirit runs of UJ, both the normal and with some different grain bills, I've done some AG mostly based off SCD CROW. I was having a hard time getting a nice slow, drip drip dribble off the spout. As a result, I'm sure you know I was getting a lot of smearing, with the amount of decent hearts I had at the end being pretty low.

I jumped online a couple weeks ago and ordered a Chinese power controller. Haven't made my cuts yet but off the spout I could fine tune it nicely.

So far they seems to be a lot less smearing, but after airing I'll have a much better idea.

Little bit of learning on each run, slightly nicer drinks each time too.

The plus side with my several runs that were run too fast is that I have a heap of faints that I will run nice and slow at a later date and hopefully get out all the tasty likker I missed out on previously

Loving this hobby, the info here is helping me get to the promised land much faster and I appreciate the years of work that has gone into producing it. :thumbup:

Ash
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First run with power controller

Post by TwoSheds »

Hey Ash, I’m getting a controller together too and I’d be curious what type of element you’re running, and about what percent of power you are throwing at it?

And I know, his power isn’t my power, his still isn’t my still, but it’ll give me an idea what to expect.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I wouldn't worry too much about any of that. Like you say, there are variables between what you have and what he has. When you get your controller sorted, give enough power to your element to get a broken output stream to pencil lead sized stream. It's not rocket science. Make some adjustments along the way to see how the output responds.

Good luck with it and stay safe.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

I had similar problems with smearing with my first couple of runs on my 2.4Kw pot using a PID ( I know :oops: ) . I got myself a controller and was able to dial the power to produce a nice broken stream.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Precision control is a game changer.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

TwoSheds wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:46 am Hey Ash, I’m getting a controller together too and I’d be curious what type of element you’re running, and about what percent of power you are throwing at it?

And I know, his power isn’t my power, his still isn’t my still, but it’ll give me an idea what to expect.
I'm running a 240v digiboil 35l with a 500w and 1900w element I was running it just on the 1900w with a little under half power. Don't worry too much about that though, just run it on max power to get it up to close to temp then drop it back a little. you can fine tune it while you are collecting fores. Move the dial then give it a minute for the change to take effect and so on until you get it perfect. Most of the run I barely had to touch it just collecting jars but every now and then it got a little slow or little quick and just played with it touch. Could have probably left it but makes me feel like I'm more involved if I'm actually doing something.
Rum Agol wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:44 am I had similar problems with smearing with my first couple of runs on my 2.4Kw pot using a PID ( I know :oops: ) . I got myself a controller and was able to dial the power to produce a nice broken stream.
I was hoping that with temp control on the boiler and 2 different elements I wouldn't need power controller. Temp controller is useless just turns the element off and stops flow completely when it kicks, and the elements are either too big or too small for my needs. All this info was available on the forum just didn't sink in until I saw it first hand.
LWTCS wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:05 am Precision control is a game changer.
Couldn't agree more, really happy with it