Cooling problems

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cooling problems

Post by MementoMori »

I have a 55gal barrel for cooling water. I cannot keep dumping water down the drain obviously $$$. Anyone have success with a glycol chiller? I'm open to all suggestions. Thank you all.
"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness". Aristotle
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Cooling problems

Post by NZChris »

What temperature is the water that you are dumping?
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Second (or third, or 10th) 55 gallon barrel is a good deal cheaper than a chiller…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
hypnopooper
Bootlegger

Post by hypnopooper »

I bought a new A/C window unit that I opened up, and bent the copper cooling coils over the edge of an 100 quart igloo cooler. I setup a submersible temperature probe to automate the window A/C unit on/off at 40 degrees F. I then use a submersible pump to cycle water from the igloo to a 50 gallon poly barrel. I run my cooling water from the barrel to the still.The cooler and A/C unit sit on a cart I got from Harbor freight to keep it moveable when not in use.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

NZChris wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:23 pm What temperature is the water that you are dumping?
+1

You’re running a 15 gallon boiler so like 10-12 gallon charge? Is this barrel just sitting outside? I mean, this may be an obvious question but is there anyway to recycle the water each time? You could probably use the barrel with a radiator and a fan, depending on how cool your initial water temp was. Hell, you could use a setup on the inlet and a setup on the discharge for cheaper than a glycol system. Also you wouldn’t want any chance of that glycol to get into your consumables. A Leak would be disastrous.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

NZChris wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:23 pm What temperature is the water that you are dumping?
Hey friend, the temp of my cooling water got up to 100°f. I have since then been reading up on using a car radiator and fan assembly.
I built the system and I'm about ready to plan my spirit rum run soon. I decided to connect my glycol chiller to cool the water as cold as possible. The fan will run the entire time, fingers crossed.
20210627_022823~2.jpg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You must be doing something wrong. The water I dump from my condensers is too hot to hold my finger under and will kill weeds if I run it into the garden.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Whiskeysiviris wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:58 pm Hey friend, the temp of my cooling water got up to 100°f.
Why are you dumping water that is only 100For 37C ?..........water that temp is quite capable of cooling a condenser adequately.
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

I'm grateful for the help friend thank you. What would be the highest you would let it go? Cheers 🍻
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Whiskeysiviris wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:16 pm What would be the highest you would let it go?
I wouldnt be looking at numbers.... I'd be looking at the water and the condensers to see if they were still doing the intended job ........when they are not......its to hot.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Heat rises. Are you taking advantage of that?

Are you drawing your cold water from the bottom of the barrel and returning it to the top, hot, having used only just enough to condense your product?

Are you the letting warm/hot return water mix with the cold and warm the whole barrel instead of staying in a hot layer at the top?

Is your condenser too small to condense all of the vapor without the water having to be run so fast that it isn't hot when returned to the barrel?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:29 pm
Whiskeysiviris wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:16 pm What would be the highest you would let it go?
I wouldnt be looking at numbers.... I'd be looking at the water and the condensers to see if they were still doing the intended job ........when they are not......its to hot.
Yep.
Too many variables for the average slob to cypher.
Reserve cooling media volume.
Cooling media flow rates.
An ever changing cooling media return entry temp.
Etc.

Practical experiences with respect to what you have on hand is a far better source of info.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

LWTCS wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:16 pm An ever changing cooling media entry temp.
A well plumbed system should not have that problem. The temperature at the bottom shouldn't change until the hot layer reaches the outlet. If that happens before the end of the run, add cold water to the bottom and overflow the hot water from the top. If you have to replace a lot of water, you need a bigger barrel.
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

Wow the amount of knowledge on HD is fantastic. I have my pump at the bottom of the barrel where it's cold.

I am now going to run the hot water from the condenser (biggest 2in from still dragon fyi) to the bottom of my radiator to bottom fill to rid it of air pockets. I hear this will work well with the fan assembly connection.

I dont think I need my glycol chiller but it's already installed. I can cool the 50 gallons of water if need be. Horribly inefficient I bet for this application but I don't like wasting water $$$.

I do have access to my pool if push comes to shove that's A LOT of water lol.
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:29 pm

Thank you for that perspective friend cheers 🍻
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Look at the cooling tower in this thread:
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 87&t=84025
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

You can get by with warmer water on the product condenser. But changing temps on the reflux condenser can cause problems…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

NZChris wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:55 pm
LWTCS wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:16 pm An ever changing cooling media entry temp.
A well plumbed system should not have that problem. The temperature at the bottom shouldn't change until the hot layer reaches the outlet. If that happens before the end of the run, add cold water to the bottom and overflow the hot water from the top. If you have to replace a lot of water, you need a bigger barrel.

Precisely my point.
Some folks dont know what they don't know,,,,,till they read the above.....
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Whiskeysiviris wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:28 pm I do have access to my pool if push comes to shove that's A LOT of water lol.
There is your answer. You have a pool!

The cheapest thing would be to pump that pool water through your condenser. Can’t say what pool water may do to your hoses and such.

If the pool water is not usable directly, make a big copper wort chiller type coil and run your recirculating water through that chiller before putting it right back into your condenser.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

OtisT wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:58 pm
Whiskeysiviris wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:28 pm I do have access to my pool if push comes to shove that's A LOT of water lol.

The cheapest thing would be to pump that pool water through your condenser. Can’t say what pool water may do to your hoses and such.

If the pool water is not usable directly, make a big copper wort chiller type coil and run your recirculating water through that chiller before putting it right back into your condenser.

Otis

I would definitely pin the calcium hardness to the wall.
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

OtisT wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:58 pm

Otis
Thank you I will report back when I'm done. Cheers