... run on a "real" still - looking for feedback

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

TheoreticalJoe
Novice

... run on a "real" still - looking for feedback

Post by TheoreticalJoe »

After spending some time with an Airstill, I recently converted a keg to a boiler that I am running as a pot still. Using a 5500w internal heating element and a 40" Liebig condenser. After separate vinegar and sacrificial runs, I was finally able to do a stripping run of 10 gallons of Cornflake mash/wash. Potential ABV was 10.37. I started the run at 1:20pm with the power "set" to 80 (this is a totally arbitrary setting based on a scale that came with the SSVR that I am using. I aligned the scale so that the dial maxes out at 100. It starts at 20, so 80 should be around 3/4 power). The initial temp, measured at the top of the riser was 90. The first drips started at 1:53 with a temp of 132. I collected a pint of foreshots in about 10 minutes with an ABV of 50%. From there, I logged the ABV and temp about every 10 minutes, until the ABV was just below 20%, at which point I shut it down. The "run" took just over an hour (1 hr 40 minutes from power on to power off) with the ABV dropping 4-6 percentage points every 10 minutes and the temp slowly rising to 210 or so. The last 30 minutes I had to add power to keep a steady stream of distillate. I ended up with just under 1.7 gallons at 34% ABV.

From what I have read and understand, I think this was a pretty typical stripping run and I am (so far) happy with the outcome. I am looking for feedback that I am headed in the right direction or, conversly, that I missed something. Any tips on how to do things differently or better also appreciated...
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: ... run on a "real" still - looking for feedback

Post by Sporacle »

Sounded about right, I haven't done the maths on the yield so won't comment on that. What I think is most important is to while you pay attention to your temperature reading from your thermometer make sure you visually watch your output and physically check how your Liebig is functioning eg. Cool warm and hot (this partly determines how fast you can strip in conjunction with puking considerations) and the distillate flow at the output. Once you can map the technical stuff to what you are seeing and feeling and smelling and hearing you will really start to understand how your pot runs.
Most importantly sounds like you did a good job and had fun :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Sounds good!

You say ABV of the wash was 10.37% or starting gravity of 1.037?

I'd personally run a flavored product strip till total ABV of low wines collected was 25-30% ABV (maybe as low as 20%! but about 1/4 to 1/3 volume of the charge for sure) and on a typical 10%'ish wash expect to get about 25-30% of the volume (so 2.5 -to- 3 gallons or so in your case)... Your numbers look close enough though so welcome to larger batches and less work :) - more time for sippin a good drop!

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:50 am Sounds good!

You say ABV of the wash was 10.37% or starting gravity of 1.037?

I'd personally run a flavored product strip till total ABV of low wines collected was 25-30% ABV (maybe as low as 20%! but about 1/4 to 1/3 volume of the charge for sure) and on a typical 10%'ish wash expect to get about 25-30% of the volume (so 2.5 -to- 3 gallons or so in your case)... Your numbers look close enough though so welcome to larger batches and less work :) - more time for sippin a good drop!

Cheers,
j
+1

My thoughts as well.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
TheoreticalJoe
Novice

Post by TheoreticalJoe »

Sporacle wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:35 am ... make sure you visually watch your output and physically check how your Liebig is functioning eg. Cool warm and hot (this partly determines how fast you can strip in conjunction with puking considerations) and the distillate flow at the output.
Although I logged as many details as I could, my primary driver was how much output and whether it was dripping or spurting or flowing as a steady stream. Once it progressed beyond drips to a stream, I tried to keep it there - hence adding power a few times when the stream started sputtering.

Through most of the run, the distillate was warm - not hot, but definitely not cool. The water exiting the Liebig was also warm. To begin with, I was not sending a lot of water through the condenser - I actually turned it up as the run went on and I noticed the distillate coming out warm. It didn't really seem to make a difference.
TheoreticalJoe
Novice

Post by TheoreticalJoe »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:50 am You say ABV of the wash was 10.37% or starting gravity of 1.037?
ABV was 10.37. Starting gravity was 1.070. Ending gravity was 0.991. Ran it through an online calculator and got 10.37%.

I'd personally run a flavored product strip till total ABV of low wines collected was 25-30% ABV (maybe as low as 20%! but about 1/4 to 1/3 volume of the charge for sure) and on a typical 10%'ish wash expect to get about 25-30% of the volume (so 2.5 -to- 3 gallons or so in your case)...
OK, this is good info. I had read multiple times to collect down to 25%, but I was thinking when the output reaches 25%, not when the total ABV of all collected reaches 25%. I thought my collected output was a little low and this explains why.