First still build, first sac run and first gumball mash

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

a13b9
Novice

First still build, first sac run and first gumball mash

Post by a13b9 »

Hello!

First ethanol drips are coming thru my still right now!
Its a sac run on a 5 gallon of birdwatchers. Distillate appears to be coming out slightly blue :sick:
I think I'm in for a loooong day haha.
20210913_125946.jpg
20210913_125912.jpg
It doesnt appear that I have any kind of leaks as of yet, but I can definatly smell a hint of the wash ..
Im standing near the breaker with my firex and my flashlight lol, this is a little scary :o
distillate smells awesome. It's coming out at 33°C which is kind of high i think... Warm summer water.

It completely cleared up after 100mls. So I guess imma have myself a nice clean still 8)
a13b9
Novice

Re: First still build, first sac run and first gumball mash

Post by a13b9 »

20210913_125929.jpg
Oh the gumball mash!
I was brewing a smash beer with my friend yesterday (all marris otter) and we seriously overshot the quantity of grains for the volume we needed (we were gonna keg so we didnt neet 8 gallons preboil). So I took some of that extra sparge, filled the tun again and sparged again to collect about 8 gallons total of 1.015 wort, which I mixed up with 2 gallons/6kg of inverted sugar. Tasted just as good as the preboil beer... Cant wait to distill it and see what that tastes like.

Here it is fermenting like crazy
a13b9
Novice

Post by a13b9 »

Nearly shat my pants I did the noobiest thing. Was washing a jar with the water from the out of the liebig and by force of habit I closed the tap... Vapors came out the spout for about 20 seconds before I realised what I did. Holy shit.
a13b9
Novice

Post by a13b9 »

Allright! 2h15 mins from heat on and I've collected 6 liters of distillate down to about 20%. All the jars are clear as water, and smell like the wash (yuck). Ran it as a stripping run so I guess these would be low wines.
Is it safe to say that my still is clean now? (I did a serious vinegar bath and scrub, water run and vinegar run).
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Sounds good. Now you can set about making a known poison, uncontaminated by unknown poisons! :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

a13b9 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:22 am Is it safe to say that my still is clean now? (I did a serious vinegar bath and scrub, water run and vinegar run).
Nope , that last run would be your sacrificial alcohol run.
Id toss that or keep it for some other use besides drinking, next run is a keeper.
a13b9
Novice

Post by a13b9 »

Yes that's what I meant. I did pour it down the drain after watering it down to 10%... I shed a small tear doing it :cry:
a13b9
Novice

Post by a13b9 »

Sampled my gumball today, I'm perplexed
20210915_162201.jpg
Looks funny considering the mash was brownish, I'm afraid I might have gotten a lacto infection?

Tastes like baker's yeast, sugar, and so acidic I can't detect the grain taste at all.

After brewing the IPA we had a few drinks and I really didnt follow any sanitation protocols on those mashes.

Should I run it or dump it?
a13b9
Novice

Post by a13b9 »

Well I'm running it rn and I don't regret it! Tastes a little like whisky which I guess is a good thing
a13b9
Novice

Post by a13b9 »

Ran the spirit run yesterday...
Collected about 6L off 3G of 35% Low wines, down to about 40%. Not too bad. Gonna make cuts today and hopefully nuke a jar of heads with a bunch of oak chips. I have a feeling it won't be good enough for proper ageing.

I was constantly tasting off the still and really had a hard time detecting the hearts cut. Tails were alot more obvious. But yeah everything prior tasted pretty mehh even diluted to around 40%... Hopefully it'll be easier to cut today now that they've aired out for a while.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Sounds like you fumbled into making a neutral. Run the hearts a third time as a spirit run and keep the hearts only.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
a13b9
Novice

Post by a13b9 »

Haha it would seem that way!

Unfortunatly it's all down the drain already... I wouldnt have served this to my worst enemy, even diluted with a gallon of coke. It was the foulest smelling, worst tasting spirit I ever tasted. I didn't even know it was possible to fuck it up that much :s

Everything tasted ao horrible I made the hearts cut by abv alone, and kept about 600ml which I am nuking rn with oak chips and vanilla, purely for experiment because I'm almost certain I wont drink any of it, safe a sample :lol:

Next batch I'll make a proper mash!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If you made all of your cuts by ABV then I'm not surprised it tastes like shit.
a13b9
Novice

Post by a13b9 »

I really tried to make them cuts by taste, Saltbush Bill!
I just couldnt, every jar tasted just so horrible after an hour of tasting and gagging I couldnt take it anymore...
:lol: