first hooks rum in the jar

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Manic Mechanic
Novice

first hooks rum in the jar

Post by Manic Mechanic »

After 3 generations of hooks rum, my first spirit run and first attempt at cuts, i I finally have 5 jars of hooks resting on some med toast french oak spirals. After two weeks it looks beautiful smells good and tastes good even though it is a bit harsh since it is so young. I have been aging it at 60 abv.
I decided to dilute one of the jars to 40 abv to see if it mellows a bit. The problem that I have is the undiluted rum looks awesome but when i dilute it with DI water it turns cloudy. What is up with that. I tried to filter it with a coffee filter and there was no change. Soooo disapointing after all the work put into the project.
after dilution.jpg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: first hooks rum in the jar

Post by still_stirrin »

Manic Mechanic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:06 amThe problem that I have is the undiluted rum looks awesome but when i dilute it with DI water it turns cloudy. What is up with that?
Oils from the molasses. Big on flavor, but will cloud the spirit if diluted too far. Keep it at cask strength and dilute only a bottle when ready to consume. That way your OCD won’t get the best of you. :lol:
ss

p.s. - You could try to chill it in the refrigerator and then filter it with coffee filters, but I don’t think that would help much…maybe a little, but not much.

p.p.s. - I like to bottle my rums (and bourbons too) at 90 proof (45%ABV). It keeps them looking good in the bottle.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Manic Mechanic
Novice

Post by Manic Mechanic »

Well if I leave it at 120 it will look great and if I drink it at that strength it will probably cure my OCD as well!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Manic Mechanic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:47 am Well if I leave it at 120 it will look great and if I drink it at that strength it will probably cure my OCD as well!
So, if you bottle at cask strength, make sure you consume it “on the rocks” or with juice, or something to dilute it. I don’t advise consuming cask strength “neat”, as that is dangerous to your throat and stomach tissue.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Manic Mechanic
Novice

Post by Manic Mechanic »

I was just joking. Is there anyway to make 80 proof rum that is not cloudy? I don't actually consume rum but would love to give it away to my rum drinking friends without it looking like urine. The big guys make it look good why can't I. I tell my friends that I am not making moonshine but fine liquor. Fine liquor should not be cloudy....but it does taste good!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I've never had rum go cloudy when dilluted down to drinking strength.
Usually that's about 40-42% for me.
My guess is to much added from the tails end of the run.
If it tastes good to you that way, live with the cloudy look, if not change what you keep of the run.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I agree with Salty , you have too much tails in there . Been a while since I used a Pot to make Rum , but the keeper jars were quite small .Can’t be greedy when making Rum cut.
Manic Mechanic
Novice

Post by Manic Mechanic »

Ok. Thanks. First swing at cuts so I will make tighter cuts on the next spirit run. Overall I think I am on the right path to good rum just need to work at it and improve the quality.