My first still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

LeslieTx
Novice

My first still

Post by LeslieTx »

PXL_20211126_133151270.jpg
I've been brewing beer for over ten years and started thinking about making the step to distillation last year at the start of the lock-downs. I began reading this forum and others on the net. I made my list of parts and tools need to build from scratch and had them in my cart on Amazon. Before I placed the order I checked out E bay and found these 30L Chinese stills for less than half the price it was going to cost to build. At that time they were going for about $160. I procrastinated and never ordered.

Recently, with that talk of inflation, I decided to check on them and go ahead and buy. The prices on Amazon parts had greatly increased, if available. The Chinese still I had place in my cart last May was going for a $211. I searched around and found one for $180, so I placed the order. I think it will be a good starter for me.

It is actually thicker than I thought it would be, but it is a pain to put together by one person. It came with a small submersible pump and hydrometer; of course, the hydrometer was broken.No big deal. A couple for the clamps that hold the lid down seem a little slack. I'll probably have to bend them and tinker around to get a good seal. I'm going to run a water test later today. Followed by a run with Vinegar/Water.

I quick question. When distilling a wash, I'm guessing that the still never gets up to 212 degrees. So, If I run it with just water, should I let it get hot enough for water to come over?
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first still

Post by Oatmeal »

Might as well do a 50/50 water vinegar mixture and give it a good steam to complete the first part of your cleaning protocol....check all the seals too. No silicon should be in contact with your alcoholic vapors!
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
LeslieTx
Novice

Post by LeslieTx »

Thank you. I was thinking about skipping the all water and do a vinegar mix. There is a silicon gasket where the pieces connect together, but I can't see if the silicon will be exposed to vapors, because it is covered by the clamp. I have a couple gallons of experimental beer ferment that I never got around to bottling. They have been sitting in the closet for a couple years. One is all grain with root beer extract added. I think the other may be a cider, but I'm not sure. I think I'll mix them together with a couple gallons of water and use them for a sacrificial run.
maltyguy
Novice

Post by maltyguy »

decent still to practice distilling. you need wrap the plastic gasket with teflon tape (ptfe) it could be dangerous
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

Aside from wrapping the lid gasket, those triclamp gaskets are also probably silicone. Best to replace them with ptfe triclamp gaskets. I suppose you could just wrap them with Teflon tape... I bought some ptfe gaskets on ebay, they were kind of expensive for gaskets, but it beats risking leaching chemicals from plastic or silicone. Also, after a vinegar run, to be sure you removed any residue that could leach in to your product, do a sacrificial run. Just put together the cheapest fastest sugar wash you can, distil that and dispose or use as hand sanitizer.
LeslieTx
Novice

Post by LeslieTx »

Thnaks for the info. I will look for replacements for the gaskets. I thought about trying flour paste in the lid.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

JakeB wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:04 am Just put together the cheapest fastest sugar wash you can, distil that and dispose or use as hand sanitizer.
It's probably toxic and rubbing it on your hands might be a bad idea. Get rid of it so that nobody can accidentally, or deliberately, drink it or use it. I store mine in a tin in the backyard with a burning rag in it.
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

NZChris wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:31 pm
JakeB wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:04 am Just put together the cheapest fastest sugar wash you can, distil that and dispose or use as hand sanitizer.
It's probably toxic and rubbing it on your hands might be a bad idea. Get rid of it so that nobody can accidentally, or deliberately, drink it or use it. I store mine in a tin in the backyard with a burning rag in it.
Good point, didn't really think using as sanitizer was a no go, but makes sense. Just do 1 sacrificial run and dispose of it. It's a small price to pay for plenty of safe product to come...