my first still.....

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

CarmeloLabadie
Novice

my first still.....

Post by CarmeloLabadie »

I got a 2 gallon stainless cooker, put a 4" diameter funnel onto the lid with a 1/2" opening. From there it goes to 3/8" piping all the way through the coil. Is 3/8" too small? Is the funnel a good idea? I did it to try to capture more steam. Or is it better to just stick the tube straight through the lid? Thanks people. I don't yet know how to add pics or I would.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Re: my first still.....

Post by Corn Cracker »

How did you seal the funnel to the lid and how did you transition from the funnel to the 3/8 "piping"?
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

the funnel will not capture more steam/vapor. The amount of steam is totally related to power input. Tube straight though the lid will mean one less joint to seal. 3/8 will work as long as you don't try and push it too hard.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

3/8” ID is very small. You won’t be able to use much heat at all because the vapor through-put is restricted by the “vapor flow area”, that is, the diametric area of the tube.

3/8” tube = 0.110 sq.in.
1/2” pipe = 0.196 sq.in.
3/4” pipe = 0.442 sq.in.
1” pipe = 0.785 sq.in.
1.5” pipe = 1.77 sq.in.
2” pipe = 3.14 sq.in.

As you can see, larger diameter presents significantly more flow area. What happens when you try to push too much vapor through too small of tube/pipe by the heat input (which generates the vapor rate) is that the boiler pressure must rise. Increasing the boiler pressure will also increase the temperature at which the wash will boil and it also increases the danger of boiler rupture.

And the small diameter could be easily plugged by a “puke”, thereby increasing the explosion risk.

Another side effect of a small diameter vapor tube is that the vapor velocity will increase as the pressure drops through the tubing as a result of friction. When the velocity increases, it is difficult to transfer its heat into the condenser walls, potentially creating a “puffing”, or vapor exit at the spout.

A larger diameter vapor tube/pipe will increase the “dwell time” the vapor has in contact with the condenser wall, allowing it to give up its heat and condense. Also, you’ll be able to run it with more heat input (and faster vapor production).

So, I would NOT RECOMMEND using a 3/8” ID tube for your vapor tube. Use at least 1/2” ID tubing, preferably even larger.

And, no the funnel inside the boiler won’t do you any good. Forget about it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
dragon9874
Novice

Post by dragon9874 »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:19 pm 3/8” ID is very small
... tend to agree, but for a 2G pot, maybe not @SS?? take that back, shouldn't matter how much capacity the pot is, right?? durp! ;-)
My Journey Started here: Cranky's Spoon Feeding!
10G pot still + 3.5G thumper + 4G condenser... all copper! d-(^^,)
{DWDSD} \m/(^_^) \m/