Getting setup, cleaned up, washed up

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

TeeweezyOH
Novice

Getting setup, cleaned up, washed up

Post by TeeweezyOH »

Fire, Aim, Ready...
Been wanting to do this forever! Brewed beer, taught son now he's a head brewery locally...figured we would add this to the fold since I have his skill on tap. Now I already messed up...I started my mash and didn't do a vinegar water run but figure this 1st alcohol run is supposed to be a throw away? Really? Is that for sure...what if it tastes good!
Also, I need to install ventilation in my basement tapping into HVAC since the still is 5 yards from furnace RIGHT OR WRONG?
24C41E10-BC64-4FBA-AFE9-C98FC09CD24E.jpeg

Still: MileHigh Dual Pro 8 gallon copper
Mash: 15 lb sugar, 5 gallon distilled water and Milehigh turbo yeast. Grav start 1.3 End 17%
B98A3ECE-3979-473B-80AE-A1487C21902F.jpeg
13A3081F-090C-4D79-93F9-49EE84422766.jpeg
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: Getting setup, cleaned up, washed up

Post by SmokyMtn »

You're already starting off in the wrong direction. Get rid of the turbo yeast. Since you already have it in the bucket, definitely use this wash for cleaning (that's about all it's
fit for). Before going further I recommend reading the mandatory reading. It will save pain and heartache
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
TeeweezyOH
Novice

Post by TeeweezyOH »

in your opinion, what is difference between the yeast types? I see comments of people using RED Star yeast you use for bread. Is this true? Why is turbo bad....or see previous...go read.
TeeweezyOH
Novice

Post by TeeweezyOH »

where is this mandatory reading section
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

At the bottom of every page there is a "Required Reading" with four links. Good place to start but don't stop there...

Are you running on a gas burner or electric?

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Your beer making experience doesn't seem to be helping much so far.........distillation is a whole new learning curve
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

TeeweezyOH wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:14 pm in your opinion, what is difference between the yeast types? I see comments of people using RED Star yeast you use for bread. Is this true? Why is turbo bad....or see previous...go read.
Red star bread yeast- active dry or any bread yeast will be an improvement. I prefer bread yeast because it's easy to source and cheap. Ferm-solutions is praised on here for another reliable source for yeast. As well as "DADY" which can found on Amazon or your local home brew store.

Turbo produces undesirable/ off flavors. Its fine for fuel but don't use it for drinking.. So if you're going to pursue a quality drop of likker. Best start with a quality yeast for a successful fermentation.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Looks like ya got a little bit of reading ahead of you Sir. What you’ve fermented is called a wash not a mash. Yeast and fermentation environment play a crucial role in you’re final outcome. But you probably already know that if you’ve brewed beer before. The big distilleries spend big bucks securing and developing proprietary strains.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

TeeweezyOH wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:22 am… I started my mash and didn't do a vinegar water run but figure this 1st alcohol run is supposed to be a throw away? Really? Is that for sure...what if it tastes good!
Well, some poisons smell and taste good, but can KILL. Do you really want to risk it?
TeeweezyOH wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:22 am… Also, I need to install ventilation in my basement tapping into HVAC since the still is 5 yards from furnace RIGHT OR WRONG?
Well, if you’re planning to run a propane or gas fired boiler inside, then you’re gambling with your life. Don’t do it even with a vent hood to the HVAC flue. Simply, not advised here.

If your boiler is electric, then you shouldn’t need a vent to the flue because you won’t have an open flame. If you’re worried about alcohol vapors being vented, venting those into an HVAC flue could be dangerous and explosive. So, not the best way to add ventilation.
TeeweezyOH wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:22 am… Mash: 15 lb sugar, 5 gallon distilled water and Milehigh turbo yeast. Grav start 1.3 End 17%
Ridiculously high OG. A Turbo yeast will “fart” an “shit” in your fermenter. Turbo contains much more nutrients to “supercharge” the yeast to consume high gravity washes. But in so doing, they produce massive congeners and off flavors. I bet your son would never use a Turbo yeast in any of the beers he brews. If he did, he’d get complaints from customers, I’d bet.

You should shoot for OG = 1.064 to 1.070 maximum to avoid stressing yeast, especially bread yeasts, which incidentally work very good for cereal mash ferments and even respectfully well for sugar washes.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

Your wash will wait while you run some vinegar through. Yes, the first run is a throw away, like for sure. The vinegar then sacrificial runs are to clear off any manufacturing residue, and get rid of anything harmful that could leach in to your product. It is well worth it to just do it. Also it will give you some experience driving your still for when you do a real run.

That turbo stuff will not taste good anyways, it is fine for a cleaning run. For most products to come out tasting like something you would enjoy, do stripping runs first, then do a spirt run from the low wines. I would suggest something from the tried and true section as a starting point. Pick a recipe, follow it exactly 2 - 3 times, collect enough to fill your boiler to the minimum level with 40% or less low wines from that, then do a spirit run.

In reality it will most likely be about 5 runs in before you have something that is good (vinegar, sacrificial, 2 x stripping, spirit). This hobby take a bit more work than it seems like at first, still well worth the effort. Nothing better than your first truly tasty drop. Once you have been at this a while, you will probably wind up with more than you can enjoy anyways, no need to rush it...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I see a lot of reading in your future if you are going to make it here . Good luck .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
TeeweezyOH
Novice

Post by TeeweezyOH »

Thank you to those of you who were positive, informative and helpful.
Saltbush Bill, I hope your 6000 plus posts have more encouragement and purpose than that one.

Running electric jonnys_spirit. Lot of reading for sure considering there is no bible and it feels like one things go by different names regionally.

still_stirrin - yes it's the vapors was worrying about. Are you saying they're not an issue and venting them through HVAC causes more problems because you are confining them to smaller space?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

TeeweezyOH wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:31 am still_stirrin - yes it's the vapors was worrying about. Are you saying they're not an issue and venting them through HVAC causes more problems because you are confining them to smaller space?
You should NOT be getting “vapors” from your still if it is running on electricity. The vapors should all be condensed in the product condenser.

If you do have vapors escaping from your still, you have a leak. You must find and fix any leaks asap. If you were to vent alcohol vapors into the furnace flue, you could set up an explosive condition in the flue. Alcohol is a fuel and the vapors are saturated in air. All you need is an ignition source to complete the “fire triangle” …. and BOOM!

Of note - I run my ginstill, a hotplate heated stock pot potstill, in my kitchen. There are no alcohol vapors escaping to cause a dangerous condition or require ventilation. The product collection jars are capped until I can cover them with a coffee filter for airing, which I do in the garage.
ss
TeeweezyOH
Novice

Post by TeeweezyOH »

apologies Saltbush Bill. I've been corrected.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

On the other hand - If or when you do have a vapor leak of some sort - Exposure to an ignition source would be bad - Make sure there is no flame in the area and also check for leaks when you're running. Use a small mirror around all joints and poenings to inspect for vapor (it will cause the mirror to fog). If you don't have a mirror spit on the back of a spoon and polish it up... Also inspect around all joints (solder joints, flour paste joints, tri-clamp joints, union joints, etc) for any drops of condensate starting to collect - If vapor is leaking it will also start to condense around that leak position..

Do this actively while you run. If (or when) you find a leak - shut down, open doors & windows, and fix the leak before continuing...

As SS mentioned - "Fire Triangle" we'll add the "Explosion Pentagon". Imagine what happens in a confined room full of leaky high ABV ethanol vapor, Oxygen, and an ignition source..

Stay safe please!
fire-triangle.jpeg
Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
TeeweezyOH
Novice

Post by TeeweezyOH »

sacrificial run went well so thank you all for your help. Wasn't really prepared for the amount of activity in the sight glass...not sure if it was running right but kicked out 185-188 steady. Curious what your thoughts are. https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0g5idkMwGx6JHf

Also, any recommendation on a water cooler. Changing water every couple hours is for the birds.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

TeeweezyOH wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:54 pm
Curious what your thoughts are.

My thoughts are ... don't post links to sites containing your real name.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

TeeweezyOH wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:54 pm… Curious what your thoughts are …
Thomas … “Thomas D”, is that you??? :wave:

Ooooops!
TeeweezyOH
Novice

Post by TeeweezyOH »

will post my address and passwords next.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

TeeweezyOH wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:20 pm will post my address and passwords next.
For your nigerian uncle? :)
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
TeeweezyOH
Novice

Post by TeeweezyOH »

EricTheRed wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:20 pm
TeeweezyOH wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:20 pm will post my address and passwords next.
For your nigerian uncle? :)

As long as I get some of that Nigerian Bush Brew
dragon9874
Novice

Post by dragon9874 »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:44 pm
TeeweezyOH wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:22 am… I started my mash and didn't do a vinegar water run but figure this 1st alcohol run is supposed to be a throw away? Really? Is that for sure...what if it tastes good!
Well, some poisons smell and taste good, but can KILL. Do you really want to risk it?
right on... at the very LEAST, it's 1 vinegar run + 1 sacrificial run before you produce consumable alcohol from a new still. anything less is sketch. period. it's like water in a survival situation, it's the things that you do NOT taste that can be the worst! ;-) but i don't profess to be a pro, by any stretch of the imagination. :-)
My Journey Started here: Cranky's Spoon Feeding!
10G pot still + 3.5G thumper + 4G condenser... all copper! d-(^^,)
{DWDSD} \m/(^_^) \m/