Flow meter for cooling water.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

WormMan
Novice

Flow meter for cooling water.

Post by WormMan »

I just added a 0-60 gallon per hour flow meterr to my cooling system. I am sure others have used them but it is a first for me. Previously I was regulating flow with the faucet and I had very little control. So far I have been running at 12 gph. At that rate my waste water is around 80° f. I am on city water and running a 48" liebig condenser. My keg boiler is powered with a 240v 5500 element. The flow meter is dwyer brand.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Flow meter for cooling water.

Post by Sporacle »

Not to sure how much water my liebig uses, I use the cool/warm/hot hand touch method on the inlet middle and outlet, I know members here have the water from the outlet exiting were it is to hot to touch. Regulate the water flow so that the temperature gradient in the liebig goes from cool to warm/hot. 80f seems a fairly low temp so you may be able to save a fair bit more water by decreasing flow and therefore increasing the temp gradient, does your condensor "huff" at its current flow rate? :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Flow meter for cooling water.

Post by shadylane »

A while back I used something like this.
It worked well until I forgot to drain it during freezing weather. :oops: