Dancing 4 dan’s first Rum

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Dancing 4 dan’s first Rum

Post by Dancing4dan »

I started my first rum ferment. Sbb’s recipe was not followed but I learned here. Hopefully. :)

Approximately 50 L hot tap water, 5kg brown sugar, 1 kg white sugar 1/2 L corn syrup, a multi B tab, 2 capsules of Mag Sulphate and 2 Tbsp Fleishmann yeast rehydrated and pitched at 102*F…. This might not technically be rum. I get that, but it’s what I have. It will be rum ish.

There is enough ingredients to do another 50L ferment when this is done. Enough for a still run after 2 ferments.

I’m not a rum drinker but my Dad was back in the day. Lambs Navy Rum was his thing after serving in Her Majesty’s Navy. Dad passed away early 2020. My rum adventure begins in his memory.

All I had to do was talk about Lambs Navy Rum and Dad would start to salivate. We will see how this turns out. For you Dad.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Dancing 4 dan’s first Rum

Post by TwoSheds »

Cool experiment, a great tribute, and I bet it'll be a pretty good product. You'll get some molasses flavor out of the brown sugar, especially if it's a darker brown sugar, so I bet you'll end up plenty rummy.

Keep us posted! I'm about to venture down the rum road myself.

TwoSheds
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

D4D,

Your rum will be light on molasses flavor as brown sugar doesn’t have much of the molly in it. The lighter sugars don’t bring the richness you’d get out of a molasses ferment.

I’ve made rum with the “deer lick” molasses from the tractor supply store. Wooo … talk about flavor! I had to triple distill it to get something I could even drink. And I typically distill my rums up to around 150 proof before bringing back down to 90 proof for bottling. Even at that, the deer lick rum was very strong in molasses flavor. Putting the rum on wood for a year did help it mellow though.

I’ve also made a rum using fancy grocery store molasses with demerara (raw) sugar and it turned out much more eloquent. It still had the molasses flavor, but was much more drinkable. Again, I distilled it up to about 150 proof before tempering back to bottle. This rum I didn’t age on wood. Rum is not my favorite spirit (bourbon is my favorite), but a good friend of mine loves this rum so I make it for him.

One interesting this with a spirit as big as a rum, you can always blend batches together to make the flavors more complex. So, if you don’t care for your first attempt at rum, try making a different recipe and after distillation, blend the two together. It will make the spirit more complex. Also, like a whiskey, aging on wood will change the character and add color. I like to age rum at a slightly lower proof than I do my whiskey. I’ll put the white rum on wood at around 110 proof instead of 125 to 130 proof like a whiskey. The lower cask entry will bring out more of the sweetness from the oak and it complements the molasses flavors well.

But, I’m far from a rum maker status. The guys from down under have way more knowledge and experience than I do, so read and follow their advice for the best tips on “how to”.

Good luck with your dad’s memorial spirits. My Special K bourbon is a tribute to my heritage as well. Somehow that makes it taste so much better too.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I do all molasses but I have included smaller amounts in a sugar wash and I can say you can make a nice light rum with just a 500g carton from the grocery store in a wash. Molasses is richly flavoured and will have a strong influence in modest amounts.

I choose all molasses just for 'authenticity', but you don't have to go that far.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

I always like the smell of a ferment but this one really smells good!
Marcus Aurelius
Swamptrout
Novice

Post by Swamptrout »

Wait until you start playing with flavour combinations. I recently did a ginger rum and it is fantastic.

I had 25L of failed alcoholic ginger beer so added it to 25L rum wash and ran it once through my 4 plater.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Dancing4dan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:19 pm Approximately 50 L hot tap water, 5kg brown sugar, 1 kg white sugar 1/2 L corn syrup, a multi B tab, 2 capsules of Mag Sulphate and 2 Tbsp Fleishmann yeast rehydrated and pitched at 102*F.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
A guy should proof read when he posts! Or not drink… or both!

Sorry for the confusion. Recipe is actually as follows…

Approximately 50L hot tap water. 5 kg fancy molasses. 1 kg white sugar. 1 cup brown sugar. 1 multi B tab. 2 capsules Mag Sulphate. 2 Tbsp Flieshmans yeast rehydrated and pitched at 102*F
Marcus Aurelius
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Now you're taking about Rum. :ewink:
Fancy molasses sounds better than brown sugar.
The yeast will find more nutrients in it also.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

It’s pretty funny. Everyone was being so polite. No one called me out for making a sugar head and calling it rum! :D

When I said there was enough ingredients to do another batch. That probably got a few face palms and head shakes. :sick: :lol:
Marcus Aurelius
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Any who...

Ferment is complete. Fermented dry. Will cold crash to clear a bit and rack off to clear some more.

There is not much yeast on the bottom of the fermenter. Not like in a barley or corn ferment. Is that normal for Rum ferment?
Marcus Aurelius
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I don't get as much trub with rum, but I attribute that to the lack of proteins in such a wash as opposed to a grain mash.
----------
Zed

Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Did the stripping run using the pot still. 15L low wines. Stripped until I could not get a proof reading on last container. Slightly oily.

Used the hot water from the PC to set up the next rum ferment. Few changes. Approximately 50L hot water. 5 kg fancy molasses. Increased to 2 kg white sugar. 1 cup brown sugar. Added 450 grams candied sherries! :shock: 1 multi B tab. 2 capsules Mag Sulphate. 2 Tbsp Flieshmans yeast rehydrated and pitched at 102*F
Marcus Aurelius
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Left the trubb in the fermenter from first batch as well.
Marcus Aurelius
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Stripping run done on second ferment. Between the two stripping runs I have about six gallons of low wines and 1/2 gallon of fresh wash left over that will get added to the spirit run.

I saved a gallon of Dunder for two reasons. 1. Going to make a rum essence from Buccaneer Bob’s recipe. 2. Saving some for a possible third ferment.
Marcus Aurelius
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Rum Essence Recipe.
Credit to Buccaneer Bob for the essence
idea. I added the spice.

250 ml Rum hearts.
250 ml Clarified rum dunder.
5 Black pepper corns.
1.5 cm Vanilla bean.
1 Clove.
5 cm Cinnamon stick.
3 cm Mandarin Peel. Thin outer layer.
Marcus Aurelius
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Did a combined spirit run on March 16 and put the white on 2 spent American oak spiral and some medium toast French oak chips at 120 proof. Made up the Rum essence on the same day.

Proofed down enough today to make 1 L 80 proof Rum. Added 60 ml of the Rum essence from the above recipe.

This turned out real good. Pretty happy considering Its my first rum and tastes great right after it was reconstituted. I find it usually takes a couple of days for my spirits to really develop its full flavor profile after being proofed down. This will be even better in a few days! :clap:
Marcus Aurelius
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Always glad to hear a success story. Rum will continue to develop, so make lots and put it up to mature. I use a bastardized solera type system, with my rum moving through various stages until I bottle a little at a time.
----------
Zed

Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Thanks Z.

This is turning out pretty well considering. Definitely going to let it age some more.

My wife only drinks Gin and Tonic when it comes to spirits so she surprised me a bit by spending a bit of time nosing this fresh Rum. It smells pretty good.

It’s a little strong on the citrus. That bit of mandarin Peel really kicked the flavour.

I would like to find some black strap for a little deeper flavour next time.
Marcus Aurelius
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Save some dunder too. Doesn't have to be nasty live dunder to add character. Can it right after the run and it will stay fresh until you set up the next run.

Crosby's has the 5kg jugs of blackstrap just like the fancy molasses.
----------
Zed

bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Be interested in your result dan. Have not done bobs essence yet because I think I know the direction it drags it..
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

As expected the flavour has improved since proofing down the sample. The rest is going to continue to oak... Until my "sample" is gone! :lol: Seems to be disappearing pretty quickly.

The dunder in BB's Rum Essence had me a little concerned. However there is a lot of flavour in that liquid. Mixing it 50/50 with a hearts cut and adding the spice mix to the essence then adding a small amount of that to the final rum makes a very nice sip.

This whole Rum experience has surprised me a bit. Not a Rum Drinker... but Dayam! This is good enough to make me pursue this further.

The recipe for the rum ferment included the sugars and candied cherries from my Mother in law's pantry. She passed away in the fall and it seemed a shame to not add them in.

Next time will be more molasses and no sugar. However... The cherries may see a come back in the next ferment.
Marcus Aurelius
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Sounds really good and i’m not normally a rum drinker either. I have been experimenting with molly and panela though and like what I’ve been making so will do a few straight rums maybe later this year.

Enjoy it!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Very happy with this!!

120 proof Rum on French oak chips since March 18.

Bottled 2 L and added 60 ml to each. Not proofed down from original 120 proof. Will let this sit for a while.

There was 60 ml left over from bottling that and thought I would try it without the Rum Essence. :o :clap: :D Daymn! I think I made Rum! Flavor is very nice and it has smoothed out a lot. Even at 120 proof it is very smooth.

The rest needs to come off the French oak as well. More time will likely be to much.

Named it Rum and Dumber. Hope I'm not stealing that name. I didn't do a search.
Marcus Aurelius
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Dancing4dan wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:03 am Very happy with this!!

120 proof Rum on French oak chips since March 18.
Hee hee, you got me with March 18 .

In Aussie , that would mean March 2018
Then I realised you meant 18th of March . :ebiggrin:

If you like it now , give it a year or so . :thumbup:
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

I'm really happy with this. I put some American oak spirals in the bottles at 120 proof and let them sit for a few weeks. Huge improvement. Reduced the molasses flavour and smoothed it out even more.

Now that I made rum using an odd collection of ingredients it's time to do another batch.

Distillation will be through a pot still with about 10" copper packing. Strip & Spirit runs.

For the ferment
Two fermenters of...
10 kg Crosby's fancy molasses. :D
1/2 L Marascheno cherries :esurprised:
50 L Water

For the Spirit run
4 L dunder that was made from the dunder of the last batch and some left over wash. Has been sitting in the furnace room. Not infected and smells great!
4 L Rum tails from previous batch.
Marcus Aurelius
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Used 50/50 Bread yeast/ DADY.

Had to use about 2 Tbsp of each for each fermenter. :| but it is going.

Ordered some new yeast. What I have on hand is getting old.
Marcus Aurelius
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Dancing4dan wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:50 pm I'm really happy with this. I put some American oak spirals in the bottles at 120 proof and let them sit for a few weeks. Huge improvement. Reduced the molasses flavour and smoothed it out even more.

Now that I made rum using an odd collection of ingredients it's time to do another batch.

Distillation will be through a pot still with about 10" copper packing. Strip & Spirit runs.

For the ferment
Two fermenters of...
10 kg Crosby's fancy molasses. :D
1/2 L Marascheno cherries :esurprised:
50 L Water

For the Spirit run
4 L dunder that was made from the dunder of the last batch and some left over wash. Has been sitting in the furnace room. Not infected and smells great!
4 L Rum tails from previous batch.
In addition there was about 10 L of fresh cleared wash added to spirit run today

The yield is 70 X 230 ml jars. Jar one is 160 proof and jar 70 is 70 proof. Proof stayed above 90 until jar 62.

Clean run on the pot still. Little in the way of heads after the first 500 ml. 4500 W element at 35%. Long slow run that took seven hours.

Will be a day or so before I get to deciding what to keep.
Marcus Aurelius
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Don't let your flavors escape before you get around to deciding your heart cut.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Dancing4dan wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:26 pm Will be a day or so before I get to deciding what to keep
NZChris wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:47 pm Don't let your flavors escape before you get around to deciding your heart cut.
No lack of flavour in my Rum and I always air for a few days before deciding......anything lost will be rubbish that you didn't want anyway.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

There was about 3L of clear dunder (muck) added to the spirit run. This was left over from the first rum batch and consisted of dunder and some left over wash and trub. The wash included the fermented Mari chino cherries. What was left of them. There was also a Micky of banana cream liqueur :sick: someone bought me.

This mixture sat in the furnace room. Didn’t grow any funky stuff but while it sat it did go through a bit of a transformation. The PH was 3.? So didn’t get a bacterial growth. But it changed in nature. Really smelled good when the clear portion was put into the still. Solids were left out.

From this Rum batch stripping run I added to the dunder (muck) in the furnace room. Sans banana cream.

Because of the low Ph I added about 2 tsp slaked lime to see if raising PH would make any difference while it sits for a few months. There was a pleasant aroma that came off after the slaked lime was added. Fruity rum.

I wonder if dunder (muck) can add flavours and aroma after sitting for a while even without getting infected.
Marcus Aurelius