My first ag vodka mash

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

redz242
Novice

My first ag vodka mash

Post by redz242 »

Last night I mash in my first ag vodka mash trying to imitate grey goose but sweeter. 20l mash

20lbs sweet potatoes
4 gallons water
10 lbs baking potatoes the biggest ones
4 lbs roll oats
2 teaspoons Amylase formula
9 teaspoons yeast nutrients
5 packets of baker active yeast

First day I grate the potatoes with a grater then boiled them to 175 for gelatinous then set to cool while cooling I add the oats when the temperature reach 159* I add amylase cover til the next day the same time the juices was about to bust out my bucket I took out some of the liquid heat it til 99* pitch the nutrients and yeast starter while that was processing I mix the reach of my mixture throughly then add the yeast wake up this morning it was rapidly working. My question is it ok for my to stir my vodka daily? because some post says some ok and some is not.
Last edited by redz242 on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: My first ag vodka mash

Post by The Baker »

redz242 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:50 pm Last night I mash in my first ag vodka mash trying to imitate grey goose but sweeter. 20l mash

20lbs sweet potatoes
4 gallons water
10 lbs baking potatoes the biggest ones
4 lbs roll oats
2 teaspoons Amylase formula
9 teaspoons yeast nutrients
5 packets of baker active yeast

First day I grade the potatoes with a grader then boiled them to 175 for gelatinous then set to cool while cooling I add the oats when the temperature reach 159* I add amylase cover til the next day the same time the juices was about to bust out my bucket I took out some of the liquid heat it til 99* pitch the nutrients and yeast starter while that was processing I mix the reach of my mixture throughly then add the yeast wake up this morning it was rapidly working. My question is it ok for my to stir my vodka daily? because some post says some ok and some is not.
I guess that is 'grate the potatoes with a grater'.

Geoff
The Baker
redz242
Novice

Post by redz242 »

Thanks baker just was excited to share I ain’t spell check
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

redz242 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:50 pm
Last night I mash in my first ag vodka mash trying to imitate grey goose
If trying to imitate Grey Goose, which is a wheat-based vodka, why then use sweet potatoes and oats ?

My question is it ok for my to stir my vodka daily? because some post says some ok and some is not.
Once fermentation begins you should not stir. Which posts told you otherwise ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
redz242
Novice

Post by redz242 »

greggn wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:01 am
Last night I mash in my first ag vodka mash trying to imitate grey goose
If trying to imitate Grey Goose, which is a wheat-based vodka, why then use sweet potatoes and oats ?

My question is it ok for my to stir my vodka daily? because some post says some ok and some is not.
Once fermentation begins you should not stir. Which posts told you otherwise ?

I think I read somewhere it was potatoes and wheat I can be wrong so I wanted a sweet version.

I saw some fermentation like grain and Brandie’s can be stir unless it has a cap. Unless it’s a sugar wash, I never say I’m an expert it was just a question to learn better practice.
redz242
Novice

Post by redz242 »

Sorry for the long await update. I was totally wrong on this my ingredients but it came out to be so amazing polish tasting vodka
With my mash bill it was too big it cause a mini explosion but end up with 12 gallons of mash instead of 6 because it was too much pressure in the conversion

I ended up with 4 gallons and a half of 61% Low wines and my spirit run ended with 2 gallons 81% with 400ml cut for foreshots because the acetone sweet smell. I let it air out for about 3weeks because of the strong esters and nail polish smell then water down to 60%. Since then to now last night was my first tasting and it was awesome. I love the potato smooth note great for shots.