First (sac) run with alcohol

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

IdontKnow
Novice

First (sac) run with alcohol

Post by IdontKnow »

Running my sac run in my Brewhaus essential extractor P2 with gin basket. Did the vinegar run last weekend. Getting a pretty constant 91-92%. Too bad I can't taste it. Fermented this batch with turbo yeast and it came out at 14% ABV. There is definitely and if smell to the wash before and on the product end. Could just be the sugar wash as I've never made one before this. Or it may be the turbo yeast. I see people complian about it. I wanted to try it so I figured the sac run was a good opportunity. I have a batch of generation 1 UJSSM which I used distillers yeast almost complete fermentation ready to see what happens as my next batch.
Accepting failure is the quickest way to learn.
IdontKnow
Novice

Re: First (sac) run with alcohol

Post by IdontKnow »

I think it went well for a first run. I didn't go all the way with it and stopped when it was around coming out 85%. It ran at 91-92% in the parrot with ambient temps around 70F for most of the run. Got close to 3 quarts total. Left them covered with a rag over night to see if the smell changes. Then I will use it as weed killer so I don't accidently consume any. I think I smeared everything but not letting the reflux run full for a while before collecting. Forgot that part. Never really lost that acetone smell. But it was a big learning event either way.
Accepting failure is the quickest way to learn.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First (sac) run with alcohol

Post by Ben »

You might try dropping your wash ABV a bit. Plenty available to read up on it. Good place to start would be here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5018

And here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6782
:)