UJSSM 1st run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

IdontKnow
Novice

UJSSM 1st run

Post by IdontKnow »

So I ran my first drinkable alcohol through my still yesterday. As you guessed 1st generation of UJSSM. I ran it in reflux and got 1500 ml of 90% at the parrot. Collected in aprox. 250 ml increments and the last one the % was starting to drop and it was getting late so I shut it down. I may have been able to get more but I count it a success for a first run. It is currently sitting with coffee filters on it to air for a couple days. just started the second fermentation today. Had about a gallon of water sitting on the corn and trub in the fermenter overnight so the yeast didn't die. heated up 1 gallon of backset and dissolved the sugar in it then added 1 more gallon of backset and some water to cool it down and topped off fermenter to 25L. Lets see how this goes.
Accepting failure is the quickest way to learn.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: UJSSM 1st run

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Just a tip for future runs. Parrots are often used during dedicated stripping runs to keep an eye on the take-off ABV, but not during spirit runs because parrots cause significant smearing. During a spirit run, I fill a glass graduated cylinder from the most recent jar, test the ABV and pour it back into the jar.

It is common to have to shut down during a run. You can always fire it up the next day and continue with the run. You can also tell if you're at the end of the run by monitoring the vapor temp. It would have been interesting to test the ABV of what was left in the boiler after it cooled down overnight.

Curious, you said you "ran it in reflux". Were you using a plate/bubble cap still or a reflux column with packing?
IdontKnow
Novice

Post by IdontKnow »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:33 pm ...
Curious, you said you "ran it in reflux". Were you using a plate/bubble cap still or a reflux column with packing?
I'm running a 2" reflux column with copper mesh packing. I collected the first 80 ml or so In a separate container and then added the parrot for the collection of the rest. It started in the parrot at 85% then went up to 90ish% for the rest of the run. I collected the 85 to 90% in it's own jar in case it has of flavors. I stopped it as it was starting to drop in abv and raise in temps at the top of the column. I know don't run in temps, % or abv but I wanted the see what was happening.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

IdontKnow wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:43 am
Salt Must Flow wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:33 pm ...
I'm running a 2" reflux column with copper mesh packing. I collected the first 80 ml or so In a separate container and then added the parrot for the collection of the rest. It started in the parrot at 85% then went up to 90ish% for the rest of the run. I collected the 85 to 90% in it's own jar in case it has of flavors. I stopped it as it was starting to drop in abv and raise in temps at the top of the column. I know don't run in temps, % or abv but I wanted the see what was happening.
The reason I asked about running it "in reflux" is because if I ran it with my VM still, it would come out pure, odorless and tasteless which would be a waste of corn. I've heard of some people removing a lot of their packing in reflux mode and it would not come out anywhere near as pure. If I wanted UJSSM, I would strip it in my pot still then do a spirit run with the pot still. No reflux and I get really good flavored product.
IdontKnow
Novice

Post by IdontKnow »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:52 am
The reason I asked about running it "in reflux" is because if I ran it with my VM still, it would come out pure, odorless and tasteless which would be a waste of corn. I've heard of some people removing a lot of their packing in reflux mode and it would not come out anywhere near as pure. If I wanted UJSSM, I would strip it in my pot still then do a spirit run with the pot still. No reflux and I get really good flavored product.
I ran it with reflux as it was the first generation and everyone seems to say it's not as good because there was no back set in the fermentation to make it a sour. So I figured I'd use this as a chance to try it the reflux and see what I get. I either get some decent neutral or I add it back to the kettle with the next round and see what happens when I run generation 2 with no reflux as a pot still. With my mesh still in the column. No better way to learn what happens then by trying it.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

IdontKnow wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:02 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:52 am
I ran it with reflux as it was the first generation and everyone seems to say it's not as good because there was no back set in the fermentation to make it a sour. So I figured I'd use this as a chance to try it the reflux and see what I get. I either get some decent neutral or I add it back to the kettle with the next round and see what happens when I run generation 2 with no reflux as a pot still. With my mesh still in the column. No better way to learn what happens then by trying it.
Ahhhh I get it now. I kept my first batch and it was fine, but like you said, it wasn't sour like later generations will be.