Is this all Yeast at the bottom?

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

rilewedge
Novice

Is this all Yeast at the bottom?

Post by rilewedge »

My First two batches scorched.
First one, I had the wrong heating element. (standard element)
Second one UHWD 3500W element used but still scorched. (Shaking head)
This will be my third run. All have been 12Lbs of LME and two bottles of Corn Syrup. Measured SG 1.090 approximately.
The first two I waited a few days after the bubbling stopped to let the wash settle out.
A solid 1/4 inch of Solids settled out, and I thought I was good to go. Racked it into the still and scorched them both.
Both looked like the left-hand picture.

This time I waited longer, and it never really settled out.
I racked it twice, each time with 1/4 of solids settled out, but the wash was not noticeably clearer.
So I ordered some Kieselsol and Chitosan, what a difference! Right-hand photo.
My question is what are all the light brown solids?
Yeast? It's an inch thick on this one and adding in the two rackings that's 1.5 in of solids.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Is this all Yeast at the bottom?

Post by jonnys_spirit »

They like to eat and they’re slightly promiscuous thank the ethanol gods!
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Your beasties must REALLY love your recipe. Like being fruitful and multiplying not being fruity and ... anyways. That's strange because I have fermented many sugar washes in my boiler, stripped in that same boiler with a 5500W ULWD element at 100% power and never scorched once.
rilewedge
Novice

Post by rilewedge »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:38 pm That's strange because I have fermented many sugar washes in my boiler, stripped in that same boiler with a 5500W ULWD element at 100% power and never scorched once.
Perhaps I'm wrong on the cause of the scorching, then.
The standard heating element cam out of the still looking like it had been powder coated black. So that one I think was the cause or part of it.
The New ULWD element looks fine.

Could it be puking into the column and burning on the column walls? I wiped my finger inside the 2" copper column, and it came out covered in a black sootie looking substance. I have cleaned the column with 551 mixture, but I have no vision into it while running. There is no soot in the SS boiler, same or higher temperature I would guess.

Should I put some sunflower oil into the boiler with the mash to keep it from foaming?
I think there is a good bit of unconverted sugar from the LME in the wash.
The final gravity is 1.014 giving approximately 10% ABV.
13 gallon still but only running 5 gallons of mash so lots of headroom.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

How do you know it's scorched? Smells and tastes burnt?
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Some alpha and gluco enzymes should get it down to .990
Then there will be no sugars to scorch
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Place some of it that has been racked in a pot on the stove and give it a boil, see what happens if any of it scorches to the bottom of the pot.
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
rilewedge
Novice

Post by rilewedge »

Sporacle wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:11 pm Place some of it that has been racked in a pot on the stove and give it a boil, see what happens if any of it scorches to the bottom of the pot.
Great idea! I’ll give that a try.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

With such a high finishing gravity I'd say you're probably scorching some of the unfermentable sugars. As mentioned, some added enzymes should get you into a lower finishing gravity thus leaving less to be scorched.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

hellbilly007 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:56 am With such a high finishing gravity I'd say you're probably scorching some of the unfermentable sugars. As mentioned, some added enzymes should get you into a lower finishing gravity thus leaving less to be scorched.
Enzymes + TIME.

Enzymes in a ferment will continue to reduce non-fermentables. But it will take longer. Don’t expect a 3-day ferment when you’re trying to convert “baked in” non-fermentable sugars from a malt extract. Always keep in mind, the process of sugar reduction is asymptotical, meaning the rate of conversion reduces as the amount of non-fermentables is reduced.

Patience. Wait for it. And it might take 2 or 3 weeks (or more) to fully attenuate.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

What was your finished specific gravity? You clearly had sugars in the boiler if it scorched.. either unfermentable or just not yet fermented if you ran too soon. Also what power were you running? You can't get the scorched flavor out by rerunning, better to discard and start over after a good cleaning of the boiler and element. I found running the element in water and pbw for a few hours cleans most of the scorch off.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

rilewedge wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:02 pm A solid 1/4 inch of Solids settled out, and I thought I was good to go. Racked it into the still and scorched them both.
rilewedge wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:02 pm This time I waited longer, and it never really settled out.
I racked it twice, each time with 1/4 of solids settled out, but the wash was not noticeably clearer.
So I ordered some Kieselsol and Chitosan, what a difference! Right-hand photo.
Issues with scorching come from not clearing it properly, a Ph issue, and a degassing issue..
A wash/mash not wanting to clear after it's finished fermenting is due in large part to inproper fermentation temp during the process, as the temp needs to be stable..
If the Ph of the wash/mash is to high, meaning a Ph above 4.5, it will increase the time required to clear..
And a failure to degas the wash/mash to remove the CO2 will retard the clearing process, as the CO2 will hold the fine particles in the solution..

Using bentonite clay at the begin of the process, greatly assist clearing.. degassing once the SG has crossed the 1.000, waiting a day or so, then racking into another fermenter, and another degassing will provide the clearing necessary, without the need to use clearing agents..

Improvement in the process is where it all starts..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

StillerBoy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:47 am
Issues with scorching come from not clearing it properly, a Ph issue, and a degassing issue..
A wash/mash not wanting to clear after it's finished fermenting is due in large part to inproper fermentation temp during the process, as the temp needs to be stable..
If the Ph of the wash/mash is to high, meaning a Ph above 4.5, it will increase the time required to clear..
And a failure to degas the wash/mash to remove the CO2 will retard the clearing process, as the CO2 will hold the fine particles in the solution..

Using bentonite clay at the begin of the process, greatly assist clearing.. degassing once the SG has crossed the 1.000, waiting a day or so, then racking into another fermenter, and another degassing will provide the clearing necessary, without the need to use clearing agents..

Improvement in the process is where it all starts..

Mars
Words of wisdom, Mars. :clap:

No amount of work will fully eliminate LME's non-fermentable dextrins, but maybe conducting a partial mash and using less LME might be in order.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

rilewedge wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:29 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:38 pm That's strange because I have fermented many sugar washes in my boiler, stripped in that same boiler with a 5500W ULWD element at 100% power and never scorched once.
Could it be puking into the column and burning on the column walls? I wiped my finger inside the 2" copper column, and it came out covered in a black sootie looking substance. I have cleaned the column with 551 mixture, but I have no vision into it while running. There is no soot in the SS boiler, same or higher temperature I would guess.
Since your column is copper, I believe this is normal. I put rolls of copper mesh at the base of my stainless steel column and the mesh does turn very dark, nearly blackish after a run. I don't get any soon on the stainless itself so I think it's just the copper doing its job.

Even if it did puke, you don't get high enough temp in the column to cause scorching. Scorching occurs directly on the surface of the heating element.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Tip on using LME's, molasses, and panela.. dilute first, 4 -1 with water at 150*F, then let sit overnight, then rack it.. this allow much of the un-formentable to settle down, greatly assisting in the clearing stage..

And I would cut back on the corn syrup used so as to get a 1.075 range SG, as this will create an environment much more favorable to the yeast, and allow it to finish lower in SG..

Mars
Last edited by StillerBoy on Sat May 28, 2022 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

SMF.. he's doing a sugar wash, but it's composition is different to that of a regular sugar wash.. what he's doing is similar to a rum process, which will behavior differently throughout the process of fementing, clearing, and stripping.. the un-fermentable sugar will create problems if not understood when using them..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

StillerBoy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:06 am Tip on using LME's, molasses, and panela.. dilute first, 4 -1 with water at 150*F, then let sit overnight, then rack it.. this allow much of the un-formentable to settle down, greatly assisting in the clearing stage..
Completely unnecessary when using mollases............just complicating things for no good reason.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

So... what percentage of that sugar would you say is un-fermentable and might cause a scorch like LME is known to do?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:51 am Completely unnecessary when using mollases............just complicating things for no good reason.
It's very possible, that over many yrs of doing the same rum recipe, that you've come to understand what it is you need to do, and develop a process which gives you the result that are constant..

Unfortunately, new comers to the hobby haven't develop that understand yet, and experience the issues that the OP is experiencing.. so your statement maybe more confusing that helpful..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:53 am So... what percentage of that sugar would you say is un-fermentable and might cause a scorch like LME is known to do?
TB.. I'm assuming that the quote was directed to me..

I do recall, and that's a good numbers of yrs ago, I did a few batches using LME's and had issues with stripping, foaming badly, and coating the element, but not scorching it, maybe because I was mindful of the possiblity..

As to what amount, I could not same at this time, but what I do know is that there was lots of sediment that didn't dissolve that settle to the bottom.. similarly with panela sugars, and some blackstrap molasses..

My rum's now are all panela and fancy molasses, and done as described in the previous post, as not all panela have the same amount of sediments, but there is sediment, so I don't add them.. and I have no issues with clearing or stripping, and I've come to think that the flavor is better also, at least that what I'm told also..

Should one do the process or not, that for the individual to experiment with, and select the process best for him..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
rilewedge
Novice

Post by rilewedge »

I had the LME on hand for a beer that I never brewed.
Because I had heard that there were unfermentable sugars in LME, I added 1/2 TSP of Glucoamylase Enzyme to the wash.
I have a Fish tank heater in the wash, keeping it at a constant 85 F.
Also, it was fermenting for 10 days before I racked and degassed it the first time.
Next I waited 10 more days before racking a second time and degassing once again.
My beer brewing software calculated a final gravity for this at 1.017, and it hit 1.014 not great but better.
This next run will be my Last LME run unless I screw up the next one even worse :)

I'm going to switch over to all grain. Hopefully the same process I used for beer will work, minus the hops.
Not only that, but I had better luck brewing beers with all grains, better flavors.

So from what I was reading above, my heating element could be covered in scorched sugar that falls off and pollutes the output.
Guess I'll run some water through it prior to my next product run.