First Sacrificial Run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

MonkeyRumKing
Novice

First Sacrificial Run

Post by MonkeyRumKing »

I completed the sacrificial run on my still last night. Overall, it went very well. I get why it's called a sacrificial run, but it could also be called an educational run. I have been reading and reading and reading some more and I appreciate all I've learned from the great folks on this site. Just like learning a new board game, you can only read so much of the instructions and then you just have to play. I felt I could run the still safely and I was able to do just that. I ran Birdwatchers sugar wash and that, by the way, was the first thing I fermented as well. I learned so much over the past week. I learned why a graduated cylinder can be useful as I searched the house for container tall enough for my hydrometer. LOL. I learned that no amount of ice directly in my condenser will keep my condenser cold enough (going to get a submersible pump and Rubbermaid tote moving forward), I learned that I don't know enough managing how fast the still runs. I learned that my heat shield worked very well and I can build a better (smaller) stand for my condenser/ball jars. It was a great time and I can't thank everyone here enough for all the help getting into this.
Still 1.jpg
Still 2.jpg
You do one of two things every day, you get better or you get worse. There's no in between.
When you teach you learn.
witch
Novice

Re: First Sacrificial Run

Post by witch »

Congrats looking good. well done
Live today hope for tomorrow