Fire Extinguishers

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fire Extinguishers

Post by Deplorable »

SassyFrass wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:34 am Yep, that's a take away from a career in the military. Everything has to be grunt proof, KISS principle rules in my shop. And, before you ask, yep I was a grunt.
SF
11H here.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Washingmachine wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:44 pm Is it practical for me to have an ABC extinguisher in the shop
Uh, yes indeed. A 5 pound ABC with a sperate, flexible nozzle would be great in your shop. Unless you machine say, magnesium.
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Several ABC throughout the house.
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Remember to use the acronym PASS Pull the Pin (locking pin)
Aim (at the base of the fire)
Squeeze (the trigger)
Sweep (back and forth motion -figure 8 action)
Use a extinguisher that is ABC rated.
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

stillanoob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:58 pm
Uh, yes indeed. A 5 pound ABC with a sperate, flexible nozzle would be great in your shop. Unless you machine say, magnesium.
Not really following where you're coming from with the "advice" you wrote in your post regarding not to use an ABC extinguisher on a Magnesium fire. The only thing you should not use as an extinguishing agent on Magnesium fires is water. The burning Magnesium will break the water down to its component level. Hydrogen and Oxygen. One burns like hell, (Hydrogen,) and the other, (Oxygen,) supports combustion. Just sayin'.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Euphoria wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:03 am
stillanoob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:58 pm
Not really following where you're coming from with the "advice" you wrote in your post regarding not to use an ABC extinguisher on a Magnesium fire. The only thing you should not use as an extinguishing agent on Magnesium fires is water. The burning Magnesium will break the water down to its component level. Hydrogen and Oxygen. One burns like hell, (Hydrogen,) and the other, (Oxygen,) supports combustion. Just sayin'.
An ABC extinguisher is ineffective on metal fires. A class D is what is called for. An ABC will help prevent spread but will not put out a magnesium fore. I was pretty much kidding anyway, anybody who machines metals like magnesium is probably aware of the dangers.

It is true that water will worsen the fire. When I was a rookie firefighter we had a VW on fire that had a magnesium transmission case or something. There was an unearthly light coming from under the car. Me and another new guy just couldn't believe we couldn't put it out. Chief said go ahead and try. So we each got a hose and tried to sweep it from both sides. Indeed, it just got more angry. Chief said that when it went out it there would be a hole in the asphalt with gears in it. He was right.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Deplorable wrote:
SassyFrass wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:34 am Yep, that's a take away from a career in the military. Everything has to be grunt proof, KISS principle rules in my shop. And, before you ask, yep I was a grunt.
SF
11H here.
11B, but cross trained in C2 and C operations. Never got to personally play with the TOWs though.
Now back on track...sorta...

Built a new shop/still house. Had it insulated with spray foam insulation. (Those chemicals are HIGHLY flammable.) Anyway, tweedle dee and tweedle dum from the insulation company caught thier 40 ft trailer on fire. Pulled out a little extinguisher and tried to put it out with that, then stood there with no idea what to do...i asked them if they had called fire dept? nope. 911? Nope. So, I called local boys with volunteer fire dept, they got here and put out the fire and was just happy to get to use the foam retardant. Moral of the story is if you live in the boonies, know and be friendly to the fellers in the VFD. They will get to you house quick if they like you.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

SF, nice to hear about good things about volunteer firefighters. Many folks don't know that 70% of all the firefighters in the US are volunteers. I was one for over 15 years until my knees just got too bad. I also worked summers for the CDF. I would say though that at least of the guys and gals I know will put their ass on the line for anybody, anytime, anywhere whether or not they know them. Friends don't get quicker service but we are more likely to stay and help with the cleanup. :-)
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

+1 on the class D extinguisher for metal fires. ABC will not cut it. A class D may not cut it. But it's the best option for at risk folks to have on hand for emergencies. I have never been involved with a metal fire personally but the company I work for has had some at our mfg plants. Hopefully that's not relevant to our hobby but it's good to know.
Plain ole pot rig.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Maybe I said that wrong, or it came out wrong. Around here most all FD's are volunteers. They were just happy to actually get called in time to put out the fire. Quite a few of our younger generation (and mine too) try to get money from insurance scams. And dont call the FD until it's too late.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks: