When can you safely take the lid off a pot still after a run?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

JM1010
Novice

When can you safely take the lid off a pot still after a run?

Post by JM1010 »

Newbie question here...

After shutting off the pot still (but letting the condenser run) and after the still has not been dripping for a good while, when is it safe to open the lid? Do you really have to wait till the still is cool to the touch or can we move on with cleaning when temp is below methanol boiling point or other temp threshold?

Thanks for clarifying.

JM
Hambone
Rumrunner

Re: When can you safely take the lid off a pot still after a run?

Post by Hambone »

I pop mine as soon as drips stop. No worries, but use gloves...
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

Same here, but then I always run the ABV of my product pretty far down, so I don't reckon there is much left in the way of vapor to worry about getting released and catching a stray spark somewhere.

I'm just guessing here, but if you're one of them guys that stops running as soon as tails start, it may be wise to give the vapor in the still a chance to cool and settle back into the wash...
qui bene bibit est beatus
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Immediately after finishing the distillation I start disassembling and cleaning, don't worry, the important thing is to pay attention to your hands (heat). If you have glass parts (eg glasses in a flute), remove it but leave the time that cools a little before wetting with fresh water.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Agree! I have a drain hose going into the sink or bucket depending on whether I'm saving the backset for something and start draining it right away.... Sometime's if i'm mashing in right after a strip I'll empty all but the required backset for the next mash then top up with water to reboil for the corn gelatinization.. Careful for hot vapors and steam as you open it up though. It can stay pretty hot/warm overnight depending on how large it is... I like ot get the backset off the heating element as soon as I can though but letting it sit overnight also cleans the inside at least up to that liquid level. Then rinse with a cold water sprayer to cool it down and clear out any chunky residue there might be!

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
rull_bull
Novice

Post by rull_bull »

Just a quick note, the hot warm vapours smells...
So when you open it and the vapour exits, the area where your still is will smell really much.

I am dumping it with a hose directly down the drain, keeps the smell to a minimum. But sometimes when keeping backset, the garage smells :mrgreen: :lol:
JM1010
Novice

Post by JM1010 »

Thanks all for chipping in. So if I understand correctly as long as the still is not producing we can remove the lid. Is it fair to assume that the remaining moist vapor in the still is not "flammable" only a "burn" risk. Cheers. JM
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

just to reinforce what rull_bull said:
If you live somewhere that's illegal to distill you must take care with smells
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

JM1010 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:06 pm Thanks all for chipping in. So if I understand correctly as long as the still is not producing we can remove the lid. Is it fair to assume that the remaining moist vapor in the still is not "flammable" only a "burn" risk. Cheers. JM
That would depend on the abv of the vapor. Put yer fag out before you take the lid off.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

rull_bull wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:32 pm Just a quick note, the hot warm vapours smells...
So when you open it and the vapour exits, the area where your still is will smell really much.
Ain't that a fact.
Not only will the area smell.
You will also and your glasses will fog up. :lol:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

shadylane wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:44 pm
rull_bull wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:32 pm Just a quick note, the hot warm vapours smells...
Ain't that a fact.
Not only will the area smell.
You will also and your glasses will fog up. :lol:
Hahaha. I finished a run today, hurried to break down and clean up, and went to help at the winery bottling wine. Walked in, and the first thing the owner asked was what that smell was. I couldn't even smell it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

That's called being nose blind.
Also known as, olfactory adaptation.
Or so I've been told. :lol:
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

I did a run of smoked barley mash (waaay too much smoked barley, it turned out), and the bottom of the tails were the nastiest I've every encountered -- like something that came out of the back end of a dog with digestive issues.

Boy didn't that smell get into my beard -- I went nose blind pretty quick, but the missus near took the hose to me!
qui bene bibit est beatus
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Dunno, the smell doesn't directly point to distilling IMO, I do work frequently around grain processing facilities and grew up on the farm, alot of similar smells there. Well for all-grain distilling anyways. Anything else is just child's play ;) ;)
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Spark_Farmer
Novice

Post by Spark_Farmer »

I found with my pot still that the pressure reduction immediately after shutting off the heat was enough to draw water into the pot, through the condenser. (Immersed the output in a jug of water and kept it full) this cooled everything in a matter of minutes, and minimized the smell when I popped the top off to dump it.

Wife complained slightly less too.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

I take the cap off immediately after the flame is out. My main concern is reducing the risk of oil canning.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

SmokyMtn wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 pm I take the cap off immediately after the flame is out. My main concern is reducing the risk of oil canning.
Yep. If you use a thumper you are kinda on the clock…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..