There is rust like particles in my shotgun condenser

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

There is rust like particles in my shotgun condenser

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

Just cleaning all my stuff to start the hobby again this year,
The problem is as I was cleaning everything I saw small rust particles in my shot gun condenser and in one of tbe tee’s just on the lip where the gasket sits I managed to get rid of it by using citric acid with vinegar, and sone cleaning with the green part of scotch brite, the. I did the same with the shotgun condenser, but it got cleaned up to a point but not 100 percent here is a pictufe of it

What can I do to fix this issue ?
İs it really a problem to have some parts slightly oxidized I mean not that I want it but I do not know if there is the same thing in tbe middle of the condenser where I cannot see it?

As I said I also used the geeen part of scothc brite, is it a problem to use it on SS as it also scratches slightly the surface ?
6CAD69CF-2FC2-4084-BEEE-646062148FF6.jpeg
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: There is rust like particles in my shotgun condenser

Post by subbrew »

Looks like just some light spots where the chromium was driven from the stainless steel during the weld. It allows for some oxidation (rust). Assuming ti is light and not causing pits that would allow a water leak it will certainly not hurt you. do a search for passivation of stainless steel. That might help, it will depend on the chromium content remaining.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

I use barkeeper's friend to passivate any rust on my SS equipment, it seems to work well for me
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

Tried 10% Citric acid passivation with no luck also used green part of scotch brite used it with a drill to make it faster but still that part is remaining does pickling paste works or what could be done ? It is not good to see rust in the PC therefore I am trying to fix it for safety concerns.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

You cannot passivate rust. You have to convert it, or remove it. phosphoric acid is the food industry standard for conversion.
Last edited by Ben on Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
:)
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

Use StarSan