Tiny tower

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Northsouth
Site Donor
Site Donor

Tiny tower

Post by Northsouth »

Hi all,

Just started this new hobby when gifted a tiny pot distiller of the inexpensive kind, and have now (thanks to this forum, mainly) realized that I will need a column to make the stuff I was talking about making in the first place (Vodka). So here is my idea.

The tiny 10l pot has a 3/4" outlet pipe with a tri-clamp 2" OD flange. That would allow me to put together a little assembly of say 600 mm flanged pipe 1-1.5", a T-section, an adjustable reflux condenser made of flexible SS gas piping (read DAD300s approach) inserted at the open top, a condenser of some sort and copper- and/or ss packing mesh.

But here is the safety question:

The tiny opening 3/4 off the pot, would that be a problem? I am worried about pressure building up (or puking) when there is forced reflux water running downwards?

(Asking because I prefer to remove my hair at the barber, and not spontaneously..)

Northsouth
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Tiny tower

Post by still_stirrin »

Northsouth wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:14 am… The tiny 10l pot has a 3/4" outlet pipe with a tri-clamp 2" OD flange…
What is connected to the 2” T/C flange & clamp?

A 3/4” ID vapor tube would limit throughput capacity due to vapor velocity when the heat is turned up (needed for higher reflux ratios for higher purity output).

Perhaps a photo of the boiler and stillhead would help understand your setup better.

Also, how will you heat the boiler? Some addition data there would help understand the planed operation.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Northsouth
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Northsouth »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:30 am
Northsouth wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:14 am… The tiny 10l pot has a 3/4" outlet pipe with a tri-clamp 2" OD flange…
What is connected to the 2” T/C flange & clamp?

A 3/4” ID vapor tube would limit throughput capacity due to vapor velocity when the heat is turned up (needed for higher reflux ratios for higher purity output).

Perhaps a photo of the boiler and stillhead would help understand your setup better.

Also, how will you heat the boiler? Some addition data there would help understand the planed operation.
ss
Hi Still,

Thanks for returning.
At the moment, nothing is on top of the outlet, there was an open bucket that the condenser ran through (type shown in first photo, but with the outlet as in the second), but this is not going to be used (unless I mount it back as a pot still for a stripping run). I have used an electric hotplate, very simple, with 1500W max. That is way too much for this little thing, so I sit within reach and adjust the heat input manually every few minutes while watching the output. Assume the hotplate is running on a thermostat, which is of no use here. On a scale from 1-5, I hoover around 1-2, so probably less than 500W.

I guess what I am asking is if it is even possible/safe to make a small column by using simple parts and the existing pot. I am also novice to welding, but realize it will have to come at some point when upgrades are going to be made.
image.png
image.png
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

This is prolly not what you want to hear, but look around here in the column build thread and then look for a beer keg and 3" column. If that is not possible get a 2" column. If 2" or 3" is not possible build a potstill on the keg with you 1.5".

Yes in my neck of woods people build CM columns with 2 through tubes one top one bottom in 42mm columns.

They are either happy with 82% alc output or very frustrated. Your choice.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Northsouth
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Northsouth »

Thanks Setsumi, I was afraid you you were going to say that.
But OK then, so I now changed class from chemistry to metal shop, will have to buy the booze for a while. My strategy will be to buy the keg (won't be welding stainless any time soon), and build the column from copper. Hope soldering is enough.
Anyway, appreciate the advice.

Northsouth
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

My keg has 2 extra 2" triclamps (drain + electric element) and a 4" triclamp (filling port) all silver-soldered with no issues so far. Practice on some scraps, getting the heat just right is a little bit of a balancing act.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Northsouth
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Northsouth »

Thanks you buddy! Have gone for whatever I could find here, it is 54 mm. Lets see what happens when the stainless flanges 3" arrive. Also practiced copper soldering. First ever :-)
20211111_200740 (Small).jpg
Little by little...
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Looks like the solder didn't flow too well. You need to be really careful about cleaning (especially if you're using recycled materials) and make sure the flux gets everywhere. Lots of tutorials on YouTube for sweating copper joints. Taking apart your joint to see where the solder got to is a good practice when you're starting out.

squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

you can make good vodka in a pot still :)
Northsouth
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Northsouth »

Thanks all for good advice. I have decided to really move out of the comfort zone and build a 2" (54 mm around here) and make it modular for possible upgrades and configs later. 3" outlet on pot with reducer. Have also practiced soldering. For further posts, it will be on the column build section. Here is a result of practice with solder. Not a beauty perhaps, solder everywhere, at least it holds water..:-)
image.png
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

The soldering is looking much better. Once you start to get a feel for it it gets a lot easier.

Northsouth
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Northsouth »

20220104_171536 (Small).jpg
So I built a tiny tower (as well) since my boiler for the 2" (other thread) seems to be held up on it's way from China. This was just for fun, and it will probably not be used for anything more than than practice and getting a feeling of speeds, etc.
It only took an afternoon to build, all was scrap except some standard connectors. In the photo, I am running the first vinegar run (hence the plastic collection bottle). As you can see, there is also a silicone packing that would have had to go if this was to be drinkable.

I put some leftover copper pacing in the column and also made two slanted plates (Boka style) just below the reflux cooler.

My feeling is that this is all meaningless though, except for the fun of building it. The column is tiny, and speed is slow. Also, the reflux is way too big I suspect, already with natural reflux, there seems to be much less coming out than when this was a pure pot still with a small pipe sticking up.

So conclusion, thanks for the advice on going to at least 2"!
Northsouth
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Northsouth »

Still with the tiny tower idea. As my main Vodkamaker seems to only grow both in height and width, and fermenting is getting more and more elaborated (50% AG, rest TSFFV ish) at the moment, somehow also found the need to downscale in parallel with the upscale. Part of it is that I want to fiddle around with smaller batches for experiments, other argument is that I run out of beverage in summer since my location needs to be cleared out in the summer season. Third argument, I like to build stuff, this is a hobby, and I will do it just for for the fun of it.

Before I present the result, there is a confession to be made. I don't know how to make a coil. The consequence can be seen in the photos. Coils won't turn for me. They just won't. Have spent a fortune in copper, and refuse to spend more.

I like the CCVM setup, and have kept that with this small one too. Probably, I will make a Boka section and set it up as combined LM/VM with two valves at some point, but this is now, and here it is. Only 12 l pot, hotplate needed for the moment, and 700mm column, 35 mm (1 1/2 inch?).

FYI, this will fit in the closet of most retirement homes, when/if that time comes:D

Head of reflux cooler
Head of reflux cooler
The small cap at the end is turned upside down just to keep the reflux run down the center.
Whole reflux (1/4 in (6,7mm) tubes with 22mm caps
Whole reflux (1/4 in (6,7mm) tubes with 22mm caps
Whole assembly
Whole assembly
3rd run (after vinegar and water) with low wines sac. run gave 88-89 ABV with only 3 stainless scrubbers inside. Pretty sure that the full column with smallest homemade SPP (approx 3 x 4 mm) will bring me to a decent 90+ ABV, even the tiny diameter one earlier in this thread did that with only scrubbers, but at a very low speed (it scrapped after a few test runs).
Then again, I am slowly beginning to understand that you can get almost any ABV you want up to 95 with any column, as long as the reflux ration is high enough. But that has to be balance with the flooding. That is what SPP is for, allowing max reflux without flooding.

If you have input, great, if not, maybe someone close to being shipped off to a tiny apartment for the elderly might benefit :D