Is it safe to double distill with an easy still?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dr. Smooth
Novice

Is it safe to double distill with an easy still?

Post by Dr. Smooth »

I have a still sprits turbo air still and I want to make absynthe. To do so, I first need to make a cordial with atleast 50% abv preferably 70% abv, then distill that again. I'm never worried about mashes blowing up, kuz they're only 20%, but because over 50% is flamable, I'm worried that it'll explode and I can't find anything conclusive on still spirits or easy stills site that says if it's dangerous or not.
Still crazy after all of these years
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Is it safe to double distill with an easy still?

Post by Dnderhead »

Id dilute to 40% then rerun.
Dr. Smooth
Novice

Post by Dr. Smooth »

That's the prob though, you gotta make the cordial with 50% pref 70% or the solution will turn brown instead of green.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Dr. Smooth wrote:That's the prob though, you gotta make the cordial with 50% pref 70% or the solution will turn brown instead of green.
I think for Cordials you want 50 - 70 "proof", not percent... 70% is 140 proof, which is far to high for human consumption or bottle strength...
Dr. Smooth
Novice

Post by Dr. Smooth »

I'm following the recipe from this site: http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/pf-absinthe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

this is an excerpt from it: Mix with the rest of the dry ingredients (wormwood, hyssop, calamus, and mint) and pour them into an airtight container. Mix with a bottle of Everclear (750ml, 190 proof). Actually, if you want to end up with a full 750ml of Absinthe, you'll need to use about 1000ml of Everclear in order to compensate for the alcohol that is irrevocably lost to absorption by the mash. You should allow mix to steep for at least two weeks, but I usually allow for 1-2 months. This is most likely overkill, but I don’t drink absinthe on a regular basis so I’m not generally in a big hurry to finish my next batch.

At the end of the two weeks, strain the liquid through a thin cloth (muslin or a handkerchief) to remove the solid matter.

Now Add:

1/2 Dropper full of Wormwood Essential Oil.*
1/3 - 2/3 Bottle of Anise Extract (To taste)
1 tsp Mint Extract *
2-10 shots Ouzo* (To taste)

Prepare to meet the green fairy!

If Everclear is unavailable, I've heard that rum 151 will suffice - although I've never tried it myself. However, regular-strength alcohols (less than 100 proof) will not work! - Your absinthe will turn out brown. Ack!
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Dunder is correct. It should be diluted to 40%. Everyone on this forum will agree, or most will anyway. As you have already noticed, most do not use Easystill or similar products so we are in no position to help you operate the thing. Mostly we treat making spirits as an art, not an easy way of of making pretend spirits.

What does your manual say about double distilling? If it says nothing - which I suspect is the case - contact them, don't expecet this forum to tell you that It's cool to double distill in their product when we dont know.

good luck and Stay Safe.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

A topic regarding this still comes up nearly every month, and the outcome is always the same, it cannot be considered anything more than a water distiller, do a search for "Airstill "and see.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

ill bet if you dilute below 50% then distill your going to git 80% or close to it.
that is 160 proof. you are not going to git to much higher with a pot still anyway..
one problem with distilling high percent is that there is nothing left in still
so it would boil dry.boil a pot dry and----------------
now if you want those high proofs that all talk about you need a fractional still.
bustahoopa
Novice

Post by bustahoopa »

I've never used an "easy still" but I would be careful redistilling anything over 50%. As for the color issue, don't distill at too high of temperature (190* tops), and store in a dark bottle and discoloration should not be a problem.
bustahoopa
Novice

Post by bustahoopa »

Oh...and don't follow that infusion recipe with the dictionary link a few responses up if you want authentic absynthe. You need to redistill after the infusion to finish correctly, and be careful about adding extracts, esp. Licorice as it can overpower the subtleties that the fresh and dried herbs bring to the table. If you want to infuse a bit of grand wormwood in a cheesecloth teabag after distillation, it will add a nice green tint, but store in a dark bottle out of the light to keep it from turning yellow or brown.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Dude! That recipe is gonna make some kind of horrible concoction that won't even resemble absinthe. I don't even know where to start. Bag it. Go to http://www.feeverte.net/resources.html and look around. That newspeak guy wouldn't know absinthe if he was drowning in it. If you're gonna make that shit, for god's sake don't call it absinthe.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

Wow! That has got to be the worst "absinthe" recipe I've ever seen. An ounce and a half of wormwood soaked in a fifth of Everclear for 2 months??? I think I know why the fairy's green - she's about to puke!
Ludwig404
Novice

Post by Ludwig404 »

I used to have an air still and I did some double distillations trying to make an Irish-style whiskey. I wasn't trying to get to the proof levels you're talking about, but I can't say I had any safety concerns. As long as the vapor path stays clear there's not going to be a pressure explosion, and the unit uses an electric heating element so there's no open flame. I was not able to make a good whiskey with it, but I guess other people are able to get a good flavored distillate. There's a guy in my neighborhood who uses one to make a brandy that is certainly drinkable.
ShineRunnah
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunnah »

If you decide to distill anything over 40% abv, you are on your own. I do not believe anyone will support or condone that decision, and you shouldn't listen to anyone that does. You should reconsider your approach to absinthe if it involves distilling 50%abv, as that is just a bad idea.

I've never made absinthe, but I've seen a few recipes and the one you linked wouldn't be my first choice....

As for the airstill, I think it's DAD300 I've seen mention using one. Maybe shoot him a PM?