Rubbermaid storage container only for fermentation

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

jwl
Novice

Rubbermaid storage container only for fermentation

Post by jwl »

I have a question about fermentation container. I have read some of the posts and it looks like food grade containers is the only thing the can be used. However I have this large, strong, green, Rubbermaid storage container the would work perfect for what I want to do. Nice smooth inside for sanitizing and large enough for a good size batch. Is this one of those no not but hell no or can I use this. As we live in an area where it is difficult find and to purchase a large size genuine food size container I am hoping this will work.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Rubbermaid storage container only for fermentation

Post by Bushman »

I wouldn't use it if it's not food grade but an alternate is to purchase some food grade liners to put inside. I think Dnder suggested that as an alternative to someone using non-food grade garbage cans.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

I've read a couple of different things..ie., that some are and some aren't food-grade even within the same brand. Just FYI, Home Depot say that all its Rubbermaid "Brute" containers are food grade (approved by NSF/USDA for contact with food). That's what it says online anyway. That might help. US plastics also sells food grade plastic barrel containers of different sizes (I have a blue 30 gal with lid). They also sell food grade liners for 50 gal steel drums, was well as even larger food grade plastic tanks. Bob's ur Uncle on that one.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Look for markings if any. Check what they represent
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
vetting
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by vetting »

If you live in the usa, you can get a Vittles Vault for like $31 from amazon. Holds around 14 gallons. They dont always seal perfect, but really isnt necessary anyways. Put a drain valve on the side, an airlock on the top and you are all set. If you need to warm it up, just use some flex watt reptile heating pads and a temp controller.
http://www.amazon.com/Vittles-Vault-50- ... roduct_top" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
jwl
Novice

Post by jwl »

Good stuff guys thanks. This container is a Rubbermaid Roughneck. I will check on-line to see what they say about it. The liners are a good thought though. As I am living in Panama and not sure where I could find them it looks like a good challenge.
jwl
Novice

Post by jwl »

Just checked it out at Rubermaid and they say it is not food grade so looks like i will have to go hunting for another container or some liners. Thank you all again. Its so nice to have you out there to give us good advice.
Arphaxad
Novice

Post by Arphaxad »

I just bought a white rubbermaid brute 55 gallon trash can for about $90. I read on some sights that all the brutes where food grade and on other sights that only the white gray and some other color yellow or orange or something was safe, so I bought the white one to just be safe.

Oh it was some sort of sperm bank for some sort of mammal and they used brute cans which they had never had a problem with in the past but it was a problem this time. So the site strongly warned against trusting all brute cans.

Wearer or not it's true I don't know but I figured it doesn't cost anymore for white or gray so why risk it.
Stoner
Novice

Post by Stoner »

You might want to poke around tote re-sellers. Not that you would use a 255 gallon tote, but they often carry barrels. They're just reselling them and almost always know how they were used (OSHA mandates that all industrial containers be labeled.) Just tell them you're going to be using it for drinking water and you'll get the right one (though you'll pay a little more.) I think they are usually in the $20-35 range for the 55gallon plastic barrels.
~ Stone

My stills: Continuous Still, Pot Still
dakotasnake
Rumrunner

Post by dakotasnake »

im not to crazy about picking up more than a 5 gallon container [about 40 lbs,] so i just use several food grade 5 gal. buckets, just divide up your wash among them. there ez to obtain i would think anywhere in the world.
today marks the dawn of a new error.
andrewgwu
Novice

Post by andrewgwu »

I just purchased a grey brute trash can for 20 bucks for an extra fermenter. As others have said, it specifically says on the bottom that it is food grade. However, not all Rubbermaid containers are, only certain colors in the Brute line. Brute makes various square containers, but there are more difficult to come across since they are not sold at big box hardware stores. Perhaps restaurant equipment supply stores may have them.
...Ma got the groceries on commodities will
but pop'd trade them off and get sugar for the still
so he could drink that mash
and talk that trash...
Weißer Hund
Novice

Post by Weißer Hund »

I recall a brewery in Grand Rapids called "Hair of the Frog", and they used 55 gallon blue plastic barrels and lined them with plastic bags. They then filled them with fermenting wort/wash, and pulled the plastic ends up over the wort/wash and loosely tied a tie wrap or equivalate around the neck to prevent contamination and still allow for CO2 to escape. This worked really good for them, no bad after taste, and when your done, just throw away the plastic and contents. The plastic barrels just supply support to the plactic bags. With this method you could use whatever containers you have access to and not have to worry about contamination or off tastes.
Weißer Hund
whitey71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whitey71 »

I just ordered the white brutes. The question I have is do they need airlock or do the lids leave enough room for gas to escape? By the way the whites and greys are NSF grade.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

You don't "need" an airlock...just the lid is fine—the lid probably doesn't seal airtight anyway. The CO2 pushing out will keep any air from getting in — lots of ferment makes lots of gas. If you just want one to see what's going on without hearing/smelling it....you can drill a hole in the lid and use a rubber grommet that will hold an airlock...or just shove a piece of tube down the grommet hole and put the other end in a glass of water or beer bottle with water. I use 5/16" hose.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... r-lid.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
moonshine guy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moonshine guy »

Look for this marking on plastic containers HDPE. This is the safest variety of all food grade plastic!
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

High-density polyethylene (HDPE)
or Home Distillers Produce Ethanol is the way i try to remember it
3' Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity (Brewhaus) on gas,recirculating 60 gal olive barrel for cooling
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for ~ Socrates
whitey71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whitey71 »

Thanks guys o by the way add yellow to the list. I read about 50 different places and found those three colors were good. I started with 4 10 gallon brutes, figured they would be easier to move. Ill see how it goes and maybe go bigger.There ain't no way no brew bucket is the quality of a brute that's why I bought em. Got em from a restaurant supply store shipping was cheap anybody interested I'll post a link
LTK
Novice

Post by LTK »

hmmmm, been using a 20 gal rubbermaid roughneck garbage can for the mash for allot of years. My folks have been using plastic 20 gal garbage can for 30 years. Seems to work fine, doubt if it's certified "food grade".
Uncle Artie
Novice

Post by Uncle Artie »

fullhouse wrote:High-density polyethylene (HDPE)
or Home Distillers Produce Ethanol is the way i try to remember it
My wife was just a little confused as to why i was laughing while reading a distilling formula.
Just getting started, trying not to be another idiot building a poison mill.