SAFETY

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

jessiejames12169
Novice

Re: SAFETY

Post by jessiejames12169 »

My fiance recently purchased a still and this is all new for us. I need some information. We live in a big converted barn and there is a room above the garage that is not insulated and infact has spaces you can actually see the outside. He wants to put the still in that room for alcohol making. My safety concern is using a propane tank indoors in fear of it blowing up (esp. since this is his first time and he really doesn't know what he is doing.) Please let me know your thoughts on doing this.

thanks!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Personaly I wouldn't do it there. Because you said you are living in this barn. I would encourage him to run it outside. Or in another outbuilding that has plenty of ventilation.
Best option would be to go electric. And heat the still with an electric element. It would be a lot safer in the location you described.

But many others may have a different opinion on this.

I would also suggest highly that he takes the time to do what many of us consider mandatory reading. Here on HD. Before he does any running. It can be a very safe hobby. If the proper research is done before jumping into it. Not to bad mouth any splace that sells stills. But a lot of people that buy stills are misinformed about a lot of things. And need to do some good research to correct that misinformation.

Step over to the welcome center. And give us a proper intro. Or have him do it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Snuffy-ga

Post by Snuffy-ga »

I was running my reflux quite nicely and had everything nice and stable. I had to pee so I took a quick look at everything and was shocked, amazed and skeert squirt less when I saw my collection jar sitting in a cloud of of vapor. Since I run with propane (open flame) I knew I had to resolve this asap so I turned up the water flow to near max and immediately the vapor turned to a heavy drip. I opened the door to freshen the air.

I take the extra precaution of putting my collection jar in a large cooking pot to contain any spills or heavier than air vapor. And glad I did. As it turned out when I originally set this still up, I used both copper mesh and ceramic rasching beads. Some of the beads made their way into the liebig and halfway through the run managed to clog the water flow to the condenser, hence the vapor. When I turned up the water flow they moved enough to free the water flow again. Just a lesson, dont leave the thing to run itself. Monitor every few minutes at a minimum. By the way, I never did go pee, guess I reabsorbed it because the feeling just went away. I had a nice run in spite of the excitement.
Driver5773
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Driver5773 »

Thanks for all the safety tips.
“If at first you don’t succeed..... make vodka” Turner N. Hooch 1836-1919
“How many moons can a moonshine shine, if a moonshine could shine moons?” Drunken bloke at Turners house.
cdd
Novice

Post by cdd »

is it safe to use 94 abv in a spray bottle for cleaning?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Ask yourself - would you use petrol (Gasolene) in that way ?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

cdd wrote:is it safe to use 94 abv in a spray bottle for cleaning?
I use methylated spirits for cleaning and killing cockroaches this way . Personally don’t see any issues Metho is basically 95 % ethanol with a bit of other shit in it so we won’t drink it.

Common sense ....Keep it away from flames .
Flatlands_Hillbilly
Novice

Post by Flatlands_Hillbilly »

Never solder in flip flops. Nuff said...
“Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the Bible says love your enemy.” - Frank Sinatra
BENTCAP
Novice

Post by BENTCAP »

Pretty Interesting
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Moral of the story being, do a heads cut, don't drink 2 liters of 80% heads in two hours, and if you do drink hearts for 54 hours to ensure the ethanol cancels out the methanol.
Don't be a dick
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I drink small amounts of ethanol daily.
I't protects me from the methanol found in the fruit juice mixer :lol:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

thats still a ridiculous amount of methanol in two litre of distillate from the fermentation of grain....so this novice stiller was banging out AG for his first batch? and managed to make 1.5% of the distillate as methanol?? (30 of the 2000mL drunk)
i drank a lot of booze in my day and 2 L of 80% sounds all but impossible to me. the guy is on a whole new level of stupid.

i'd sure like to know what his recipe was.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
sambedded
Trainee

Post by sambedded »

The whole video is just a pure bullsh..t.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Who sponsored this and who drinks 2L of 160pf in 2h and doesn’t expect a hospital visit. That four liters or a gallon of “regular” 80pf. That simply equals alcohol poisioning.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
SpiritOf76
Novice

Post by SpiritOf76 »

* make a "pre-run check list" like an airplane pilot's pre-flight check list

* speaking of "pilots" - make sure ALL pilot flames are extinguished.
(in my case it's the stovetop burners, oven & household hot water heater)

* if you're using natural gas or liquid propane
- install a shut-off valve a safe distance from your still
- use quick-connects at the source

don't let yourself get lazy or sloppy on the pre-run safety check. I once (and only once) did a solo skydive (great fun). In the 6-hour ground school before the jump, the jump master/instructor said that eventually, skydivers' experience 'chute failures. Usually after their 75th successful jump. by then you're such an expert you're packing your own parachutes because you don't trust anyone else to do it right. you start to think you know everything, and you're going through the motions, it's routine. and that's exactly when you pack yourself a bag of junk. treat your still like a loaded gun.
in search of a clever signature...
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Great advice!
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

4000 plus jumps not one failure from as high as 70.000 ft. To as low as 3000 ft. Flying like superman is addicting as crack. Would still be jumping today but my wife sold my chute on me when I hit 55 she said enough. That said triple check everything before you start then non stop until you get finished.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Well, shit, that happened. I set aside a full, relaxing day for my run.Even charged the still and thump the night before. Started early and all was fine. I’m sitting there about 45 min later, checking the progress and typing a note at my work bench 5 feet away when I heard a horrendous metal bang. Looked and two more, the damned boiler was imploding! Killed the breaker and opened the system but by that time my boiler was distinctly square.
I disassembled the controller and tested every component, all fine. Near as I can figure the damned element had failed right in middle of my heating cycle. The meter went nuts, reading well above normal but 0 amps.
I know it did that just to piss me off.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Jezzz , that fully sucks Yonder . At least you were OK . Damn , square boilers gonna be hard to straighten .
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:07 am Jezzz , that fully sucks Yonder . At least you were OK . Damn , square boilers gonna be hard to straighten .
Nah, it's an easy fix. Just put the spirits you produce into square bottles and you'll be fine :wink:
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

I took an air compressor to it set at 20 PSI. Mostly round again. But I love the square bottle idea. Saves space.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

hmmmm...I have a 5 gal pot still that I use on my electric stove. I was thinking of getting one of those propane burners to use in the summer outside, but after reading all this...maybe I'll stick to the stove. no open flames. :crazy:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

sadie33 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:05 am hmmmm...I have a 5 gal pot still that I use on my electric stove. I was thinking of getting one of those propane burners to use in the summer outside, but after reading all this...maybe I'll stick to the stove. no open flames. :crazy:
Not to worry, if you stick with it, it won't be long and you'll be running a converted keg or a milk can boiler with a 5500W internal element and power controller like so many here on the forums do.
But first, master the art of fermentation. Running the still is the easy part once you let go of the concept of trying to control the temperature.
Cuts gets easy pretty quick for some. Some struggle with where to cut for heads, others for tails. This is the part where you have to figure it out with practice.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:22 am
sadie33 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:05 am hmmmm...I have a 5 gal pot still that I use on my electric stove. I was thinking of getting one of those propane burners to use in the summer outside, but after reading all this...maybe I'll stick to the stove. no open flames. :crazy:
Not to worry, if you stick with it, it won't be long and you'll be running a converted keg or a milk can boiler with a 5500W internal element and power controller like so many here on the forums do.
But first, master the art of fermentation. Running the still is the easy part once you let go of the concept of trying to control the temperature.
Cuts gets easy pretty quick for some. Some struggle with where to cut for heads, others for tails. This is the part where you have to figure it out with practice.
That would be awesome. :D I like those milk can boilers (maybe because I had a milking cow and a milking goat).

I have a good start with fermenting and yeast, growing cultures. I ferment my pickles, I made yogurts and cheese when I milked the goats. That had a lot to do with cultures and I LOVE making all kinds of breads. It's amazing how using the same ingredients (flour, yeast, salt, oil) but depending on HOW you do the yeast, the kneading, the rising etc you get all different kinds of breads (italian, cuban rolls, brioche etc).

this is all so exciting and interesting...and a little scary :shifty:
Otternur51
Novice

Post by Otternur51 »

Can Evolved deer molasses be used in making rum. Is Propionic Acid safe for making rum?
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Otternur51 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:34 am Can Evolved deer molasses be used in making rum. Is Propionic Acid safe for making rum?
Yes you can there a way to clean out the propionic acid if you choose. You gotta search the various feed grade molasses threads, there's a link in one of them to another post where the dude goes over the process. Try using the Google search for "evolved"
There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Otternur51 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:34 am Can Evolved deer molasses be used in making rum. Is Propionic Acid safe for making rum?
I made a rum with it. It has a very strong flavor, much more than blackstrap molasses. I had to triple distill it to reduce the “oily” character. The deer-lick molly has a lot of “raw” materials in it which will carry a ton of flavor. So, be prepared.

My ferment went off very fast too. The deer-lick molly has a lot of nutrients that feeds deer and your yeast. So, I suggest a big blowoff tube into a bucket of sterile water. Otherwise, you may need a mop to clean your floor.

The propionic acid absolute did not impede fermentation at all.

Oh, I did boil the wash for a few minutes to skim off some of the proteins in the molly. I think that helped to clean it a little. But, triple distillation was still needed.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Here’s a recommendation for using the Evolved Habitats deer-lick molasses: —> 3 liters molly to 20 liters water.

But, you probably won’t be able to measure SG because it’ll be so “heavy”. Just use this ratio and it’ll give you plenty of fermentation potential.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Yes, it makes good rum. Here is one of the ways I used it:

viewtopic.php?t=90455
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Otternur51
Novice

Post by Otternur51 »

Thanks for all the tips and help