Mistake... is it a safety issue??

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grundle1
Novice

Mistake... is it a safety issue??

Post by Grundle1 »

ok, so i screwed up BIG time and i need some input. i ran my reflux still and pulled out what i thought was some great alcohol. when i was cleaning up, i found the 3ft long piece of garden hose that i use to siphon the mash INSIDE the pot. i had dropped it in there after charging the still, and FORGOT to remove it. so, i did the entire run with that garden hose in the mash. is the liquor i made good??? any suggestions??
Od1tspyd3r
Bootlegger

Re: Mistake... is it a safety issue??

Post by Od1tspyd3r »

+1 rockchucker said. Sounds like you have a lot of cleaning solution.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

While your hose was not exposed to any high proof alcohol, it was subjected to some high temps that could have leached any number of chemicals. I would not drink anything from that run. I wouldn't re-run it either. I would do a cleaning run before drinking anything else that comes off your still. The only way I would change my mind on this would be if I knew precisely how that hose would react in that environment.
I'm goin the distance...
DukeBoxer
Bootlegger

Post by DukeBoxer »

Yeah I'd throw that liquor right out, maybe use it to kill the poison ivy around your house. While you're at it you should probably just stop making liquor all together. Word on the street is you make some low proof crap anyway. Haha
DukeBoxer
Bootlegger

Post by DukeBoxer »

Because he is my good friend and ex stillin partner...I dumped him after he made this mistake. Just some good old ball bustin.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Damn, thats enough to piss ya off isint it. Ill toss my vote with Mitchys guidance. Give er a careful sniff and taste. Read up on vinyl, I suspect its not a ROHS compliant PVC free hose, but who knows. Boiled hose, like a tea bag, doesnt sound too pleasant.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

My question would be.

Why would you use a garden hose for anything other then cooling water. In this hobby? Have you ever tasted water from a garden hose? It makes water taste like crap. I wouldn't want to think what it would do to a fermented product.

Unless its a white potable water hose? Even then I still wouldn't use it for that.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Grundle1
Novice

Post by Grundle1 »

ill take the advice and chalk that one up to stupidity and use the liquor to light camp fires. oh well. worst part is, the liquor smells and tastes fine, but i really dont want to take any chances. as for the hose, i just use it to siphon my mash from the mash barrel into the still. i wouldnt be doing it that way, but my great buddy Dukeboxer was too cheap to split the cost of a transfer pump. he is of the "work harder, not smarter" school of thought. hes not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

So you are to cheap to go buy a better suited hose? But was willing to split a transfer pump? :problem:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
DukeBoxer
Bootlegger

Post by DukeBoxer »

Sometimes hard work is smart work. But then again you can't teach anything to someone who already knows everything. Like I said, pour it on the poison ivy.
Last edited by DukeBoxer on Mon May 26, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Kinda starting to sound more like you two have unresolved issues. That don't need to be solved here on the forums. Hint hint hint. :wtf:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Grundle1
Novice

Post by Grundle1 »

Prairie piss..... You're right. I should have got a better hose for the transfer. That's the problem with teaming up with people who are adamant about their high level knowledge of this process, but think they know more than they actually do. You are also right about his unresolved issues. It's just jealousy. I'm sure he can find a professional to help him with that.
Grundle1
Novice

Post by Grundle1 »

Rockchucker..... Not really a dispute. We are neighbors and friends. We make a career out of breaking eachothers chops. It may not seem like it to an outsider, but it's all in good fun.
Thanks to everyone who have good advice about my stupid mistake! At least I will have some fire started for the camp fire this year
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Grundle1 wrote:Rockchucker..... Not really a dispute. We are neighbors and friends. We make a career out of breaking eachothers chops. It may not seem like it to an outsider, but it's all in good fun.
Two words: Use smilies.

And using the term "outsiders" to address the entire membership of this board in any manner would not be considered wise by many. :eh:

tp
Grundle1
Novice

Post by Grundle1 »

I'm ising the term outsiders to describe anyone that does not know our interactions personally. Don't read into it
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

We surely don't need any personal rifts being aired here in these forums... And we don't need any "word about town" comments either because it makes it sound like you two are selling... Hobby scale home distillation for personal consumption - period...!!! Not for the whole family, neighborhood, or whoever...

Doesn't matter what relationship there might be there, it's about how it comes across in the forums...
DukeBoxer
Bootlegger

Post by DukeBoxer »

Sorry guys, it was just joking and in good fun. Guess it got a little out of hand. Rad there's certainly no selling, again that comment was just a joke because we just built a new reflux column and hit some pretty high numbers. Won't happen again.