popping, squiterimg & strange noises.

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

popping, squiterimg & strange noises.

Post by WooTeck »

I was running my rum 2 days ago I was coming through heads when i was interrupted and had to shut er down. I brought the keg in to my room as it was a cold night and I knew that I wouldn't be able to run again until today. I covered the top :oops: not realising that the pressure would build again :oops: any way when I realised I fixed the issue.

Today I was fireing up again and there was this pop made me jump as its never done that before.since then the still hasn't sounded the same. Louder than usual and with the a squitter every now and then.

Anyone got any idea what may be causeing it?
Eck

*edit its sounding normalish now just a lot louder. I'll wait until it heats up and go over it with a mirror.
Last edited by WooTeck on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: popping, squiterimg & strange noises.

Post by skow69 »

Wow. What kind of still is it? And what is a squitter?
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Its a keg with boiler with an immersion heater. Best way I could probably do to discribe a squitter would be a squeak crossed with bubbles or the noise your stomach makes when your unwell and needing to visit the toilet. :problem:

I've checked everything with a mirror and there no steam, there is a molasses type residue at the bottom of the Immersion join but it doesn't seem to be leaking :econfused: . Noise has died down to the way I was expecting as its coming up to temp.

On another note I drained the boiler when I first heard it as I was woried I was having a repeat of my last balls up. After a nice rince every thing seemed fine spent, a good 5 mins expecting it with a toarch. Thinking after this run I'll pull it apart for some further testing and add the drainage tap I have.

Yet another note what I have learned is if you have to quit during a run kep it built up
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Update its stated flowing and the product is full of what looks like copper glitter. I know I didn't rince the column but I can't think of ANYTHING that could cause this. There was some copper balls at the bottom of the keg to let me know when its coming to temp. Surely they would not be able to come up the full-length of a metre column?

When i syphoned it in was incredibly sour. Could it be pulling then copper out of column? It seems to getting less by the jar but the glitter is still present. I think I'll shut down after this jar and wait on advice and have a look inside the column. The product have a biting chemicaly rum smell. Where as the late heads I pulled yesterday had a sweat almost appealing smell.

The gods seem to be agenst me doing this hobby.

*edit
There was an insane amount of copper rust in side I think I'm going to have to take it a part and start again because its near impossible to reach parts of it. The God s really dont want me dong this hobby
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

My first guess would be your element either blew or busted a coating off it. That wouldn't account for glitter making into the distillate though.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Sounds like a burnt heating element
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

It seemed to be running fine smelt BAD though. So that's down the drain :lolno: going to have a good look at the hard ware then get a stiff drink. Still Have another 40l of the same rum so all is not lost.

The copper glitter was due to the column I was horrified by the amount of rust that came out. So I'm going to work out a way to scrub every inch.

Seems I get one good run then one that sucks big time. If only i hadn't had to stop the run. Least I pulled a good few jars off before shit went sour.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

WooTeck wrote: The copper glitter was due to the column I was horrified by the amount of rust that came out. So I'm going to work out a way to scrub every inch
Explain "rust"
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

I've pulled out the immersion and it's slightly corroded so it'll take some effort to clean up. The gaskets need a clean or replaced and i m going to dismantle the column and rebuild in a way to make cleaning easier.

Stills out of commission for awhile: (
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

bellybuster wrote:
WooTeck wrote: The copper glitter was due to the column I was horrified by the amount of rust that came out. So I'm going to work out a way to scrub every inch
Explain "rust"
It was less of rust more a copper powder like residue that was built up. I have photos I'll be able to post latter.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

WooTeck wrote:After a nice rince every thing seemed fine spent, a good 5 mins expecting it with a toarch.
You checked it with a flashlight, not a torch... I know that's what they call flashlights in some countries but torches have a flame and flashlights use batteries and a lightbulb... We don't want some novice checking for leaks with a flame now do we...???
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

rad14701 wrote: You checked it with a flashlight, not a torch... I know that's what they call flashlights in some countries but torches have a flame and flashlights use batteries and a lightbulb... We don't want some novice checking for leaks with a flame now do we...???
:problem: in Britten we call em a torch but i see your point. but to be fair anyone that checks their still with a flaming brand, well all im gonna say is natural selection.

ok so some photos...
side
side
cloth with flakes/rust
cloth with flakes/rust
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

straight vinegar 7% pickling variety will clean everyplace you can't reach. just fill it and leave soak for 16 hours. everything including the first few microns of copper will come out.
the flecks look like oil from the rum, same as what i got out the tails on a feed molasses wash. kinda shiny mica-like in appearance red/orange/purple/black irredecnt.
My rum tased like shite too. put it on oak for 3 months, it was getting better, but i'm at about 9 months now and it tastes worse than ever! i'm thinking it was a shit recipe, executed poorly (mine i mean-i'll leave it to you to judge yours)
if that element is ok...thats my guess anyway.
make UJ it's forgiving enough to make a good drop!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

WooTeck
If the still wasn't puking during the run.
Then the flakes/rust probably came from the part of the still that runs down hill.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

No puking I figgered that going to do a real deep clean and test run with my cleaning alcohol
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Do you have a good earth ground connection to your boiler? I've read about someone having problems with that. Apparently it can cause some sort of electrolysis(?) (electroplating(?)) kind of effect in the boiler. Sort of eats metal away from the element. Dangerous too.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i was just out cleaning my boiler after installing a 5500W ULWD wavy kind of element. i left some water in it to leak check. the threaded bung that the element is connected thru is apparently a ferrous metal, as it is now rusty.
this is the same element that everyone here is using. maybe thats some of the flake? (after 4 days of being wet this one has a fine powder covering it.)
i still think its oils however...unless you smoked another element.

i tried to look up the "Electrodeposition of Multilayered Bimetallic Nanoclusters" but what can i say...i got confused when the words got even bigger than that! :crazy:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Defanatly not smoked another one. Hahaha :lolno: . I'll do what I can to clean up and test with water and alcohol
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

giving the column a good acid soak. outside is looking fresh inside is getting there but still has some to be achieved. a few more hours and itll be back to as clean as when it was built. :D