Beer keg safety issue

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Beer keg safety issue

Post by yakattack »

Alright. This is a safety question. One of my original boilers is a true 15 gallon beer keg. It was never molested as it was run on a propane burner. The question is. Can I still use this as a beer keg under normal operating pressure or will having used it for a boiler make it unsafe to pressurize?
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Beer keg safety issue

Post by kiwi Bruce »

The carbonating pressure is only 15 to 20 PSI... that's if you are force carbonating. Serving pressure is 5 PSI or less...I don't think there is a issue at 20 PSI that a Stainless Keg would fail. But you could test it... I was given a soda keg that had a pin hole leak. I repaired it with a stainless button head screw and Harris #9...I ran the thing half filled with water to 100 PSI and left it over night, just to test if it had any other flaws or weak stops...it didn't, and I'm still using it.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Beer keg safety issue

Post by cede »

Should not be a big deal.
If you did not molested the sanke part and the gaskets are in good condition, you should be good.
Just put back the head in place with a bit of water inside the keg, pressurise at 30 psi and wait a few hours and check if you still are pressurized.
Kegs are made to resist rough handling and as far as it has not been heated dry to cherry red it should be ok.