Stove chimney and alcohol vapours

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Stove chimney and alcohol vapours

Post by Birrofilo »

Hallo,
novice here. No still yet, just studying and planning.
I live in an apartment, and my condominium is full of idiots.
I read that distillation makes in any case odour, and vapours.
Distilling in Italy being not formally legal (even though so amply tolerated that some fora report that some policemen think it is legal) I would prefer not to raise any alarm, or call to the police, and to keep the fan of my kitchen stove chimney working during operation.
I have a "proper" chimney discharging fumes above the roof. I am at the last floor. The fan should help dissipating any odour above the roof.

While keeping the fan on (and the window open, it goes without saying) would dislodge any odour, or vapour, more effectively, I have some concerns regarding the fact that those fumes are alcoholic.

Would that create a risky condensation on the chimney?
Would a spark in turning on-off the fan risk to ignite the vapours?
Would the vapours risk damaging the plastic fan?

My instinct would tell me that there shouldn't be any danger, but I prefer to check first. I only have one apartment :lol:
So, does anybody of you use the fan above the kitchen stove to expel the vapours during distillation?

If the still is perfectly sealed, I supposed that there should be no odours or vapours at all, but I keep reading (elsewhere) that distilling makes and odour. Perhaps people with unsealed stills?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Stove chimney and alcohol vapours

Post by still_stirrin »

If you’ve got alcohol vapors coming off your still...you’ve got bigger problems than “the smell”. Fix the vapor leaks and ensure your product condenser will fully condense the vapors.

A bigger sensory note is fermentation with the smells from the process flooding through your ferment room (kitchen?). But those smells just stink...sour smells.

More likely, your neighbors will complain about the smells eminating from your ferment vessels than the still. And a room fan will just swish those smells around the house.

But seriously, if you’ve got alcohol vapors leaking from your still, pay close attention...and fix it. It is not only smelly, it is dangerous.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

odours and vapours are two different things. as you suspect and SS points out, vapour would be bad.

odour? well yes it smells like liquor but it's not dangerous to the fan and likely it would help keep the smell reduced.

the ferment smells much worse. expect to tell nosey people you are trying to make beer or wine. you won't be the first italian to make wine at home!

"trying" to make beer means you are no good at it, so you can fail and never have good beer to share; just always "trying" to make a new one.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

Ok thanks.

Odours are not a problem: I ferment beer (I know it's "unItalian", but I do) at home and the odour is very limited. I do my fermentation indoor, in a temperature-controlled manner. At the moment I have two batches for around 60L so not a small quantity. I feel some odour in the room, but not elsewhere.

I will keep the fan off. The window will be open, I will be there and I will expect to have no alcohol vapour around.

Thanks, that was useful.

I read about odours that would "certainly" alert the neighbours on the fact that I am distilling. I now suppose some people distill in the open (garden, balcony) with not properly sealed stills and therefore do that kind of remarks.

I will do differently: in-house, and no vapours or I stop operating immediately.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Doesn't matter who ya are or where you still there should never be any uncondensed alcohol vapors leaving the still. I guarantee nobody here would want that as it's wasting hard earned booze apart from it being dangerous. Now maybe me and my wife are sensitive to the smell but it creates a decent odor to us. It is also probably the types of mashes I make.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Ciao Birrofilo,

as SS and others pointed out, there is no such danger as you must not have any vapour leaking. There will be some smell though, namely at the start of the distillation: before the first drops arrive, you'll be able to smell the fores, a strong appley smell, very fruity. Also, during ditillation you and your neighbors will be able to smell the liquor, after all you'll have the open collection vessels full of it.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Oddly - I sit within 3 feet of my still all the way through in a shed and don't get any smell at all during distil - unless I have a leak, then I know instantly !

BUT I don't run a Leibig condenser.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Pikey wrote:Oddly - I sit within 3 feet of my still all the way through in a shed and don't get any smell at all during distil - unless I have a leak, then I know instantly !

I do run that type of condenser and I can immediately tell if I'm in fores/heads or once tails has begun.

I run in a 3 car garage with 1 door 6" open and a big fan drawing in fresh air right off the ground. My still is very tightly triclamped stainless steel with PTFE gaskets that do not leak. No paste, no leaks.

In an enclosed space you're going to get some aromatics... jump from condenser to parrot to jar. I realize what you guys are saying but given how common a still design mine is, just because you can smell. some of it, doesn't mean your house is about to blow.

The lower and upper limits of an ethanol in air mixture for detonation are like 4% to 20%.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

butterpants wrote:
Pikey wrote:Oddly - I sit within 3 feet of my still all the way through in a shed and don't get any smell at all during distil - unless I have a leak, then I know instantly !

I do run that type of condenser and I can immediately tell if I'm in fores/heads or once tails has begun.

.............In an enclosed space you're going to get some aromatics... jump from condenser to parrot to jar. I realize what you guys are saying but given how common a still design mine is, just because you can smell. some of it, doesn't mean your house is about to blow.
I didn't say you were going to blow yourself up - just that I don't get any smell - I know a lot do and that makes me wonder if there's any way that a Leibig can be fully efficient ? - I wonder how the "worm guys" get on "smell wise " ?

[Edit - what about the "boka boys" ? ]
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Pikey wrote:
butterpants wrote:

.............In an enclosed space you're going to get some aromatics... jump from condenser to parrot to jar. I realize what you guys are saying but given how common a still design mine is, just because you can smell. some of it, doesn't mean your house is about to blow.
I didn't say you were going to blow yourself up - just that I don't get any smell - I know a lot do and that makes me wonder if there's any way that a Leibig can be fully efficient ? - I wonder how the "worm guys" get on "smell wise " ?

[Edit - what about the "boka boys" ? ]
I don't know.... how big is too big? I have uber cold ground water in the winter and a big ole chugger pump on full blast the entire run trying to knock vapor down.... it certainly does a good job but not enough to keep my nose out of it.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Some are just more sensitive to the smell than others is all I can come up with. Some people can smell cyanide for instance while most people can't.
While boiling you release some uncondensibles that find their way out of the still and into your nose.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

pfshine wrote:Some are just more sensitive to the smell than others is all I can come up with. Some people can smell cyanide for instance while most people can't.
While boiling you release some uncondensibles that find their way out of the still and into your nose.
I smell it soon enough n the very rare occasions I get the tiniest leak !

Do you run a Leibig as well ?
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Nope. Shotgun. No leaks.