Safe storage of 96% NGS

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

stevetuk
Novice

Safe storage of 96% NGS

Post by stevetuk »

I've had a look through the safety posts, and I know that to store high proof spirit safely it needs to be in SS or glass etc. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on things like fire proof cabinets to put those in, location etc? I'm looking to store approx 50L of 96% NGS and I want to make sure it's as safe as I can possibly make it! Am I best just diluting it all down immediately to 50/55%?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Safe storage of 96% NGS

Post by Saltbush Bill »

stevetuk wrote: Am I best just diluting it all down immediately to 50/55%?
That will depend on what you want to use it for at a later date.
stevetuk
Novice

Post by stevetuk »

I wouldn't be rectifying at anything above 50/55% so in theory I could dilute it down to that. I'd rather have the flexibility to leave it at 96% until I did use it but if the difficulty/risk of storing it at that proof is too much trouble vs diluting it then I'd opt to dilute.

What sort of glass/SS containers have people used?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Regarding storage .
I work in a Lab and we have over the top Flammable storage requirements to comply with Work Health and Safety Rules and Regs to keep our measly amount of various Flammables safe :? ...yes everything Flammable has to be stored in a Flammables Cupboard ....even Glacial Acetic acid

But.... when I walk through the Isles of my local Bunnings Hardware ( Big Box) store I see Hundreds of Liters of 95% ABV Methylated Spirit , Acetone , Turpentine and Kerosene all out there for anyone to throw a Ciggy butt into if they wanted .

I think you need to do your own risk assessment and decide how far you want to go with that . Personally I'm happy to have my 96% out in the shed with my Methylated spirits , Turps and Petrol for my mower . ...when it comes to a flammability point of view .

However ...Due to my Lab training ..I tend to label everything .
It does worry me that some stranger might end up in my shed and think they are onto a good thing . I try to label stuff in a laymans terms with Skull and crossbones and ABV% and label fores , heads etc ...not that a piss pot on a bender would care .....but stevetuk , you do raise a good point :thumbup:
A bottle of 96% ABV Alc is potentially as dangerous from a toxicity point as a flammable point .Again , do you own risk assessment and decide what is the highest risk

Personally I'm happy to store at 96% and dilute when needed ...takes up less storage space :thumbup:

Regarding storage containers ...I use 2 Liter Flagons and 5 Liter Demijons .
stevetuk
Novice

Post by stevetuk »

Thanks for the reply really appreciate it. You're right, I know of some who just leave it sitting in (plastic!) containers at 96% on an open shelf in the same room they're distilling, and then others go to the whole flammable cabinet lengths.
I'd rather be safe than sorry. I think the flammable cabinet might be a good idea, is that basically just to prevent the spread of any fire if it did ignite? I'm thinking, if 96% NGS ignites for whatever reason, flame isn't going to be my biggest worry. More the boom...

Not so worried about people drinking by mistake as it's just me, myself and I, but labelling is a good idea anyway so would do that too. Thinking more about the combustible side of things, very nervous about that!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I've heard of folks using SS corny keg
You could also store the 50L in a regular keg with a tri-clamp seal
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I just keep mine out in corked 1 gallon jugs but it's all cask strength @ ~130abv. Mu jugs came in a cardboard boxes with cardboard separators and that provided some safety but I got tired of opening the boxes for a swig or a glass... Nothing larger than a gallon for long term storage here. 3,5,6 gallon carboys for blending cuts, low wines, and clearing washes..

96% ngs and if you end up with quite a bit of it.... An accident would not be covered by insurance...

Be careful and think Safety first.

Cheers!
-js
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

jonnys_spirit wrote:I just keep mine out in corked 1 gallon jugs but it's all cask strength @ ~130abv. at 130 proof. Mu jugs came in a cardboard boxes with cardboard separators and that provided some safety but I got tired of opening the boxes for a swig or a glass... Nothing larger than a gallon for long term storage here. 3,5,6 gallon carboys for blending cuts, low wines, and clearing washes..

96% ngs and if you end up with quite a bit of it.... An accident would not be covered by insurance...

Be careful and think Safety first.

Cheers!
-js
There...I corrected that for you. :lol:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K