Cherry Pits??

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

BlackSailJ
Novice

Cherry Pits??

Post by BlackSailJ »

I have 100°proof in a jar with store bought black cherries, and in a rush I forgot to take out the pits and they are in there whole. Will the alcohol extract anything dangerous from the cherry pits? I need to know if I am throwing it out, our consuming it. Thanks.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Cherry Pits??

Post by still_stirrin »

A quick search of the internet returns this: cherry pits contain cyanide. Peach and apricot stones do too. Roll the dice and see what you get.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BlackSailJ
Novice

Post by BlackSailJ »

I had 2 yesterday and didn't die, however I don't think roll the dice any further. Lesson learned.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Pretty much everything which tastes or smells of "Almonds" contains cyanide - Nobody ever dies of eating them because of the amounts you would need to ingest. :roll:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Pikey wrote:Pretty much everything which tastes or smells of "Almonds" contains cyanide - Nobody ever dies of eating them because of the amounts you would need to ingest. :roll:
It isn't necessarily free cyanide, or enough to poison you. I wouldn't worry about it unless the pits had been crushed, and/or I was going to get my seriously pissed on it.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

My mother and her side of the family have been eating cherrys preserved in Grappa or Brandy for a fair few generations now. They all seem to be healthy and fit enough to out work a lot of younger folk, they do eventually die though.....but usually between 85 or 100 years of age. Pretty sure its not the cherrys pits doing it.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

This is the OP’s original question:
BlackSailJ wrote:I have 100°proof in a jar...Will the alcohol extract anything dangerous from the cherry pits?
Whether or not someone you know has been poisoned by consuming cherry pits is a different question. How much cyanide injestion is necessary to become lethal can vary person to person, no doubt.

But when asked if there is anything dangerous in the stones, I must point out the research response.

The rest of you guys can argue about whether or not it’s safe. I’m outta’ here.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BlackSailJ
Novice

Post by BlackSailJ »

It's no question about it, I'm tossing it. Lesson learned, never ever use pits.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Re pits and plants, the interweb says, 'Fortunately, only chronic or massive ingestion of any of these plants or pits can cause serious cyanide poisoning.'

Geoff
The Baker
kwik44
Novice

Post by kwik44 »

There are tons of information about amygdalin in the internet. Some say it is a cancer cure, some say it is poison. I don’t know ;) but kirschwasser without a slight almond smell and taste or sour cherry extractions without them do not taste good for me. Last week I was distilling apricots with all the stones and I like it. As a child i use to ate the cores from the plum pits and I am alive ;) So you decide...
If you leave them they will give you a little almond like smell. Whether you like it or not it is just a matter of your preference.