moldy corn mistake

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

bigbuck
Swill Maker

moldy corn mistake

Post by bigbuck »

so I was in the process of putting together a rather large corn mash, got my water up to 150 degrees to melt sugar in fermenter, dumped in 90lb of sugar and wanted to add corn while sugar water was still really hot so I cut bag open and began to pour, low and behold when I tipped bag all the way upside down a big kur plunk hit water and it was a giant lump of moldy corn, I grabbed a strainer and scooped moldy corn that was floating on top, so my question is will yeast (bakers yeast)be able to overcome this? I had plans on distilling this run 2 or 3 times over, I hate to dump out 90 lb of sugar, so will this mash be ok to run???
thanks
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: moldy corn mistake

Post by Expat »

I guess it depends on who wins the race. If there was one moldy spot the spores we're probably on everything.

Suggest pitching an extra large yeast starter asap.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by bigbuck »

so will spirits be ok if it gets distilled a few times?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

The hot water's on your side - Personally, I'd bring the lot up to HOT again, to kill any mould spores (yeast as well) - then re-pitch the yeast and any enzymes / malt as per original.

Who knows what "products" the mould has already made which may "Pass over" - as flavour profile, but the actual Mould should stay where it is - just as yeast does (another form of "mould" ) when we "cook" that !

Whether you want to drink it ? I dunno !
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

well damn the luck, it seems to be moving along good so far, just want to make sure its safe to consume if I distill it twice, got me a lil nervous, I went ahead and pitched extra yeast
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Should not be a health/safety issue if its mold on corn. Ergot on rye is a very different and dangerous matter.
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

yep it was in the bottom of a corn bag, looks like the bag may have been setting on a wet floor
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

so mash seems to be doing fine, will it help if I just strip it off when it finishes and add it to feints and run it a second time? I could not re heat (boiler is not big enough)
thanks
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Strip it when completed as suggested. If you can detect an undesirable flavor then you have the answer. Consider: use of infected dunder is common in rum making, it makes interesting flavor, and that stuff is a lot more infected than what you have. Don't fret until you're sure you have an issue. Making sure the yeast colony up and running was the best defense, short of boiling it.

In my experience, if the bad flavor can come through once it likely will on further runs. So re running probably won't help if there was an issue.
Last edited by Expat on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by bigbuck »

thanks expat, I sure hope this works out, mash smells right no signs of mold smells in it
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

everything seemed to be ok with mash
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I had some malted corn “go bad” on me. Had a green mold that smelled cheesy. Did some searching and did not find anything that said it wasn’t safe. Did a good boil on the corn, and mashed with high temp enzymes and a little malt. Stripped and ran a spirit. 9 months on charrred oak and it is amazing!! Good luck with yours.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”