Pump To Transfer Spirit?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

tgf
Novice

Pump To Transfer Spirit?

Post by tgf »

I am looking to buy a pump to transfer:

1) some undiluted spirit at 80% ABV to a larger resting vessel where it will be diluted
2) 40% ABV neutral spirit into my still.

what are some safety issues I must be aware of and any brand/configuration recommendations? Are plastic hand pumps safe?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Pump To Transfer Spirit?

Post by still_stirrin »

tgf wrote:...Are plastic hand pumps safe?
Probably not. You won’t get many recommendations from here.

Look for a stainless steel pump with teflon seals...gonna’ be expensive, so get prepared.

I pour my low wines from the jug into the boiler...sure, it’s awkward, but other options are limited. I guess if you’re “in the business” then pumping high proof alcohol is an “investment” in your economy of scale. For us hobbiests, simpler options are economical.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

You won't find support for high ABV liquids touching plastic here. Most home distillers don't deal in alcohol volumes you can't lift and pour, so I bet no one here uses a pump aside from the couple of craft distillers who give good advice here from time to time.

Small distilleries wanting to move volumes of high proof alcohol around, like into a bottling line, typically seem to use either gravity (by elevating the spirit collection tank and letting it drain into the new tank) or they get one of these compressed air driven pumps: https://store.tcwequipment.com/products ... taxon_id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow which says it can move 5 gallons per minute. Even that seems like overkill for a home distiller, though.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Hey tgf: My main boiler is a 15gal keg. It only has the original 2inch opening. I use a big funnel with a 1 1/2 inch opening at the bottom. As SS said the hardest part is holding a large carboy when filling the boiler with low wines. The funnel works great, and no spills. This operation should not be attempted when drunk! :crazy: :oops: :wink:
JBC
JBC
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

JBC
I ferment in 15 gal batches typically. Once finished and settled, I rack the ferment into 3 six gallon fermenting buckets (with spouts) to settle another week. Once in these volumes, it’s manageable. I I’ll place them up on the work table and drain directly into the boiler, one bucket at a time. ( the boiler is on a rolling dolly so that I can move it around the shop as needed.) At this stage of life, I need to let gravity do as much work as possible. :roll:

I do have a small electric gear pump that I use to drain the boiler. Had it so long, I can’t even guess what it’s made of. Consequently, I wouldn’t ever use it on a product.

Good luck.
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

You might consider a transfer vessel that can be pressurized with air to move the spirit.