One Safety Topic Not Covered

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

SwollenGoat23
Site Donor
Site Donor

One Safety Topic Not Covered

Post by SwollenGoat23 »

I work in an industry where Safety is above all and thousands if not millions of dollars are spent each year on equipment, personnel & training. The Number 1 rule is protect yourself and the number 2 rule is mitigate the hazard(s) before you start any task.
With that being said, I failed number 2 in this craft. Though I won't go into major detail, I will say I had suspicion that my other half may have been struggling with alcohol addiction. We were at one time the heavyweights in this category and held many titles and trophies.
The thing is, though I may have gotten a handle on things for myself, my evaluation of someone else's situation/struggle was not accurate. Maybe because I have never found a true passion for any hobby or past time like this one. Maybe because I just took her at her word and didn't want to think "I may have to quit this hobby". The funny thing is, I do like the end products but have no real desire to drink no where near as much as I can or do make. It is just pure passion and love of this hobby that keeps me reading, thinking and buying new equipment.
Because of actions only some of you may understand that come from "enjoying" the fruits of our labor, I have poured out and onto the ground approx. 21.5 gallons of product, either finished or ready for sprit running, in the past 1.5yrs in a mad dash to remove evidence from the place.
This is no way for anyone to live. Because this ain't living, this is forcing a square peg in a round hole so to speak and putting someone else's needs after yours while expecting to achieve marital bliss and have a successful happy family. I would rather take a beating everyday of my life than spend 1 single day or night without my children and wife.
So in closing, I am pouring out my last 10 gal of HBB that's been ready to strip, breaking down all the equipment and packing it up. I don't know if I will ever be able to return to the hobby that I Love so much or even make another post here but, heed this warning, do not underestimate the destructive power of what we do.

Thank You guys & gals for everything,

SwollenGoat :wave:
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: One Safety Topic Not Covered

Post by jonnys_spirit »

That's a powerful and important statement SG. Thanks for sharing it with us and let it be a warning to all about practicing and encouraging moderation and I hope the best for you and your family.

The sacrifice to the whiskey gods you are making is but a small one compared to the impact you are making on your life and your family.

Wish you all the very best and I'll pour some into the fire tonight in your honor and as a resolution to encourage appropriate moderation or abstinence in my household as well. My SO also just checked herself into 30 day rehab so may be following suit in the near future and I've also got about 500 bottles of home made wine in the cellar.

Stay in touch and stay safe please.

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Good luck to your family in your future! I have had to take account of my "enjoyment" of the hobby, icluding homebrewing, several times. I plan times of the year where my SO and I dry, and also times where we will have a few celebrations. We try to focus on our physical health much more now due to our age, work requirements, general well being and overall fitness. My job requires tremendous physical fitness and we are both athletes in our free time. We have had many times where we both said to each other, "it's time to take a break and focus on our health". That's happening more, and more often as we age. Living a healthy life is now our main goal. The hobby(any hobby really) is for the fun of creation, the anticipation of the outcome of techniques used, and the joy of success after all of the work involved. But it's just a hobby, and giving it up or finding a new one for the health of a loved one would be, and should be, a very easy choice. Family first!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Wow.

Many years ago my wife and I were world class heavyweights in that sport as well.
Interestingly, now I rarely drink.

This is indeed a "cool" hobby but nothing compared to your better half.
and let's face it, it can be very time consuming.

Take care of yourself and take care of her.
But drop in from time to time.
Fare Well!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thank you Swollengoat,

Your heads-up speaks volumes to the rest of us, reinforcing the value of family and keeping our priorities in order.

Be well and peace,

Twisted
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Priceless input!

For myself, this is a very selfish hobby.
I enjoy the hell out of it, but my wife rarely drinks and my kids aren't old enough to enjoy the fruits of labor here.

This is a good time to reflect on what we are here for and what we hope to get out of it.

To all of you: I wish you and your family the best!

Thanks SG!

Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Respect.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I'm battling inward about quitting the hobby too I enjoy it so much but the wife and kids dont like me drinking.i grew up in a abusive home with an alcoholic father who beat us so the fact that I can even enjoy this hobby is kinda fucked. I have a pretty good head on my shoulders but I do get angry at times when I drink and while visiting my parents one day I saw my dad on a bender and it just took something out of me. something I used to enjoy now feels like a chore sometimes and I never thought it would be that way.they say I drink too much and I'm like him I'm to the point of running my last ingredients and packing it up and stashing it ALL somewhere for awhile so I'm not tempted to drink or make
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

I hope you all find the strength and peace that you need.
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

HomerD wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:12 pm I hope you all find the strength and peace that you need.
I'm with you Homer.

Geoff
The Baker
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Good talk, SwollenGoat!
I once quitted drinking myself when I had a alcoholic girlfriend. It did not help: years later I still stumbled on hidden bottles. But I did not want to give her an excuse to drink too.
Now I have no alcoholic girlfriend any more, but to be so stern towards myself is much more difficult.
And it is a still fascinating hobby. It has a lot of things I like: biology, chemistry and physics, calculating, building contraptions, designing labels, tasting, home making, money saving. Tax evading (I do not hate paying taxes: when you make a lot of money, it is not unfair to pay a lot of taxes. The more you have to pay, the more you earned. But excise duty is less fair.)
SwollenGoat23
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SwollenGoat23 »

Thank you all for your kind words. Take Care.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

SG I hope things are better for you.
I have to admit I did not notice when this post first came up, since I was in the midst of the fight against the viral inquisition at that time.
For myself and those in my family we are not immune to alcoholism.
I am fortunate that my wife abhors alcohol, can't stand the stuff.
This makes it easier for me in that I only have to be watchful of myself.
I hope you are well and your wife is well and you are living the best life.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.