Ceramic jug and Lead?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sailman
Swill Maker

Ceramic jug and Lead?

Post by Sailman »

I found this jug on Facebook Marketplace this morning and thought oh that be great for storing or gifting some spirit. Well I went and got it and I should have done some research first. I did a quick search when I got home and found out that it is highly possible that the glazing contains lead. Is there any safe way of testing this before I decide to use it? Otherwise you will be a lesson learned and get used as decoration.
IMG_20201122_155551.jpg
IMG_20201122_161606.jpg
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Ceramic jug and Lead?

Post by acfixer69 »

I have used these. https://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-LAB-Lea ... lsrc=3p.ds with a good reliable results.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Re: Ceramic jug and Lead?

Post by Sailman »

I found this on the FDA website.

How can I find out if my ceramicware are safe?

If your home has pottery that is similar to those items listed above, or you are concerned regarding the safety of pottery in your home, there are some precautions you, the consumer, can take:

Test the pottery. Consumers can buy lead-testing kits in hardware stores or online. The kits contain swabs with instructions on proper use of the swabs and reading of the results. In most cases, the consumer will rub the swab on the food-contacting surface of the pottery. In most kits, if the pottery contains lead that leaches onto the swab, it will change colors. If a consumer performs a test and finds the pottery contains leachable lead, the FDA strongly advises against using the pottery for cooking, serving, or storing food or drinks.
If you are unable to test the pottery or otherwise determine that it is from a reliable manufacturer, consider not using it for cooking, serving, or storing food or drinks.
Look for a warning label. If the pottery was manufactured for use only as a decorative item, it may have a warning stamped onto the clay bottom such as “Not for Food Use—May Poison Food.” Do not use items with this type of warning for cooking, serving, or storing food or drinks.
Be aware that no amount of washing, boiling, or other process can remove lead from pottery

https://www.fda.gov/food/metals-and-you ... al-pottery