Alembic Pot Still Lyne arm/dome seal.

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mattmmmax
Novice

Alembic Pot Still Lyne arm/dome seal.

Post by Mattmmmax »

Coming here in an over abundance of caution. I’m running the alembic pot still with copper dome on a t500 boiler. In this Unit the lyne arm screws to the dome and there is a rubber gasket between the nut and the arm that secures the two.

I notices while running the still today a extremely small amount of liquid pooling where the arm meets the dome. I know I’ve tightened this thing down as far as I can. The liquid does not smell like wash or like spirit, but more like water. Either way, I shut their whole thing down. Any thoughts here on what might be going on? Still is pretty new, only used 5 times.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Alembic Pot Still Lyne arm/dome seal.

Post by still_stirrin »

Post a couple of photos Matt. There are a few T500 users on the forum who may have an answer for you if you help them understand better where the problem occurs.

I’n not familiar enough with that boiler to know what you’re talking about, not that I would be the technical expert to answer you.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Mattmmmax
Novice

Post by Mattmmmax »

6486DB0E-FC0B-45BC-B542-6456FF789849.jpeg
Attached a photo. As I said. Smells like water, tastes like water. Yields haven’t been off. The only place I smell any vapor from would be around the temp probe, which I would expect since it’s not a perfect seal on this unit.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Lousy photo Matt.

But, I wonder if you wrap the threads with some PTFE (plumber’s) tape and also try to wrap the “business end” of the nut with PTFE tape too if it would make a better seal than what ever “rubber” gasket you have.

If it is a silicone gasket, wrap it with PTFE tape too. Silicone, although the T500 guys send it with your kit, is not the best material to use in the vapor path.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Mattmmmax
Novice

Post by Mattmmmax »

Yeah once I posted it I realized how bad it was. Good call on wrapping the threads. Will report back next run.