Electricity / Spark management when distilling indoors - can lights be on?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

HuckFinn
Novice

Electricity / Spark management when distilling indoors - can lights be on?

Post by HuckFinn »

Hi all,

My question is really in the title. When distilling indoors, what is acceptable from an electricity perspective? Obviously never open flames lol, but to get more specific what is okay vs not?

For example, can you have a ceiling light on? What is unsafe / safe in your view?

Thanks
zed255
Distiller

Re: Electricity / Spark management when distilling indoors - can lights be on?

Post by zed255 »

Stilling in the dark is more dangerous than having the lights on. We do focus on safety here but you do not need an intrinsically safe environment for home distillation. So long as your still isn't leaking and you haven't made gross errors in operating it there is no reason to think there will be an issue. You seem to be overthinking things.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

If you don’t keep a light on, how are you going to be able to see the thermometer? :crazy:

Would a fan be safer, or less safe when distilling in the house?

What about, if you have small children, can they be in the house while you’re distilling?

Inquiring “minds” want to know the answers to these, and other frivolous questions.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

HuckFinn wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:35 pm Hi all,

My question is really in the title. When distilling indoors, what is acceptable from an electricity perspective? Obviously never open flames lol, but to get more specific what is okay vs not?

For example, can you have a ceiling light on? What is unsafe / safe in your view?

Thanks
You had better be running slow enough to be producing liquid alcohol and not alcohol vapors.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I’d rather have the lights on than us a candle :lol:

But I get the gist of your post . :thumbup: ... good to see you are doing your own risk assessment.
But as has been said , it’s an extremely low risk and nothing to be concerned about unless you have some seriously arcing light switches and a still thats leaking a lot of un condensed vapour .

If you are concerned , use an LED headlamp torch
Crabmanstyle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Crabmanstyle »

Once your area is properly vented the risk is minimised and minimised further by the fact that there should be no leaks. Any vapour escape from cooling problems would be quickly identified and still shut down. Ethanol vapour is also heavier than air so it will sink to the ground rather than up to any light switches or sockets, again lessening the risk of ignition.

If you're still unsure or nervous do as Yummyrum suggested and get one of these:
https://www.knivesandtools.ie/en/pt/-pe ... gI6vvD_BwE
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

There is a certain amount of risk where you have gas appliances that have a pilot light and/ or produce a naked flame.

Geoff
The Baker
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i do some of my best work in the dark, but yes, i do keep the lights on when stilling.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Dozingdruid
Novice

Post by Dozingdruid »

Over thinking is one of my biggest downfalls too. Rather focus one adequite ventilation and a zero-leak policy. A batch of flour paste on hand before you fire-up the still is always my starting protocol, just in case.
Distilling, gaming, woodworking, welding, electronics... I swear if I get one more hobby I'm going to have to quit my job.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

This whole thread amuses me when there are others (like the so-called "nuclear" whisky) in which people do far dumber things with refined spirits, without thinking about it.

2 things to consider; an electrically powered still is far safer to operate then any fueled one simply because it doesn't rely on an open flame; electrical lights are not a significant risk unless you have serious wiring issues (overloaded circuits, sparking connections, etc.) in which case you have bigger issues. Second, a leaky still is dangerous no matter what its powered with, and shouldn't run at all until its fixed.

IMO the greater risk which people tend to gloss over is operating high voltage AC around water, meaning if you haven't done so already, you SHOULD install a GFCI breaker on your still power, and any other power used within 10 feet.
Last edited by Expat on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Prairiepiss »

Why would electricity be a problem? Seriously! Do you turn all the lights off when you pour a drink? It’s not like your still is puking out highly flammable gasses. Liquids yes. But I hope the alcohol coming out of your still isn’t running over your light bulbs or switches.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
tubbsy
Swill Maker

Post by tubbsy »

It's enough of an issue that commercial distilleries (in Australia at least) need explosion proof switches and equipment close to the still. Now, I don't agree with it being needed if there is adequate ventilation, but it's a valid concern that shouldn't be so quickly dismissed.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:45 pm Inquiring “minds” want to know the answers to these, and other frivolous questions.
ss
Are you setting off to purposely turn off newcomers with your passive-aggressive comments ss?
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

MartinCash wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:56 pm
still_stirrin wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:45 pm Inquiring “minds” want to know the answers to these, and other frivolous questions.
ss
Are you setting off to purposely turn off newcomers with your passive-aggressive comments ss?
i don't see tongue in cheek humor as passive aggressive, but i do see your aggressive - aggressive response as trolling.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.