Safety of recycled copper pipe

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stillybilly
Novice

Safety of recycled copper pipe

Post by Stillybilly »

Hello!
I recently got some recycled copper pipe, unsure were its from and would like to use it to recycle it. I'm going to give it a good clean with some acid but want to know if it will be safe to use after this. I read a couple of post relating to this with varying responses. I'd like to recycle and it not kill me with dodgy booze
zed255
Distiller

Re: Safety of recycled copper pipe

Post by zed255 »

Just my $0.02, if it is copper pipe a good scrubbing with dilute acid until it shines like a new penny and cutting off any soldered ends should get you a useable piece of material.

Only dodgy thing would be potentially old lead solder, hence to suggestion to physically cut any soldered sections away. Otherwise, so long as you can be rid of any verdigris you could be good to go. Full cleaning protocol on anything you build with it despite the initial reconditioning.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Stillybilly
Novice

Post by Stillybilly »

Cheers zed much appreciated!
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

zed255 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:27 pm Just my $0.02, if it is copper pipe a good scrubbing with dilute acid until it shines like a new penny and cutting off any soldered ends should get you a useable piece of material.

Only dodgy thing would be potentially old lead solder, hence to suggestion to physically cut any soldered sections away. Otherwise, so long as you can be rid of any verdigris you could be good to go. Full cleaning protocol on anything you build with it despite the initial reconditioning.
+1. What zed sed.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”